Fire Stick vs Roku

Walt

I want to get one or the other for my 73 year old mother. I have no experience with either.

Which one is:

1. easier to set up?
2. Easier use?
3. Better?

Roku is the easier of the two to use. They mandate that apps/channels work the same way uniformly on their platform.

I’ve had a Roku for a few years and it’s really easy to use and navigate. Never have had any issues with it aside from its remote control seeming to use up batteries a bit faster than other remotes I have.

But senior citizens have carte blanche to pilfer batteries from stores, so that shouldn’t really be an issue.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

I’ve had a Roku for a few years and it’s really easy to use and navigate. Never have had any issues with it aside from its remote control seeming to use up batteries a bit faster than other remotes I have.

But senior citizens have carte blanche to pilfer batteries from stores, so that shouldn’t really be an issue.

Hmm I've owned probably 10 different Roku products and have never had any battery issues.

I have both. Ease of use, setup, navigation - Roku wins.

Long term better buy so far leans to Firestick.

My Roku experience has been that they become obsolete after a few years. Some years ago I bought a brand new model and it wasn't long before it could not provide the navigation and loading speed I expect. So I bought a new model, but this past August I received emails from Roku saying they would discontinue support for that model. It will still work but my apps will not receive updates nor will the device itself receive updates.

I have yet to have any such issues with a Firestick.

I have both. Ease of use, setup, navigation - Roku wins.

Long term better buy so far leans to Firestick.

My Roku experience has been that they become obsolete after a few years. Some years ago I bought a brand new model and it wasn't long before it could not provide the navigation and loading speed I expect. So I bought a new model, but this past August I received emails from Roku saying they would discontinue support for that model. It will still work but my apps will not receive updates nor will the device itself receive updates.

I have yet to have any such issues with a Firestick.

I got those emails as well. When investigating it turned out the model they were talking about was the original Roku model I bought over 10 years ago and not the current one I have (Roku Ultra).

I've had my Ultra for a long time and never had issues with loading speeds or navigation. It does use batteries though but I am constantly pushing buttons so that is not surprising.

What’s the difference between the different Roku products? I see a “Streaming Stick,” an “Express,” and “Ultra”

What’s the difference between the different Roku products? I see a “Streaming Stick,” an “Express,” and “Ultra”
I think Ultra is the most advanced version with more bells and whistles. I really don’t know all the differences but Ultra is the one I have and it works great. The picture when I stream games via mlb.tv on my Roku is so much crisper than my cable provider’s picture.

This link can help you compare models:

https://www.roku.com/products/compare

I am not sure but I think ultra might play in 4K. As for streaming stick versus Xpress, the only difference I really know of is how it connects to the TV.

I want to get one or the other for my 73 year old mother. I have no experience with either.

Which one is:

1. easier to set up?
2. Easier use?
3. Better?
get a antenna.... get cbs, abc, nbc....... make sure they can watch wheel of Fortune, the evening news, price is right, and family Fued.... that should work the best

get a antenna.... get cbs, abc, nbc....... make sure they can watch wheel of Fortune, the evening news, price is right, and family Fued.... that should work the best
Well…. she already has cable but she can’t watch Thursday night football (Amazon Prime) and her favorite Soap Opera got taken off regular NBC and now only streams on Peacock.

Well…. she already has cable but she can’t watch Thursday night football (Amazon Prime) and her favorite Soap Opera got taken off regular NBC and now only streams on Peacock.
Peacock now has a deal for $1.99 a month for a year.

I am not sure but I think ultra might play in 4K. As for streaming stick versus Xpress, the only difference I really know of is how it connects to the TV.

the streaming stick for the Roku will lose power everytime the TV is turned off so it reboots every time which can take a few seconds.... The actual Roku is always on so there is no initial delay.

Peacock now has a deal for $1.99 a month for a year.

Will be taking advantage of that. Been getting STARZ for 6 months at $1.99 each, taking advantage of Disney+ for the same. Jumped on ESPN+ yearly deal before they hiked the prices... since I watch NHL I had to get it and the deal made it cheaper for the year then when I got it just for the months of NHL. Might jump on this yearly HBO-Max deal as well.

Will be curious if I jumped too soon on yearly subscriptions as Black Friday deals might be better.....