Fenwick football coaching and expectations

thefalcattack

So a week later after Fred Cranford was hired. Some people say its a good hire some people say its just another fenwick hire where he will be here for 2-3 years. expectations, stats, players returning? Like what are the updates about the team?

So a week later after Fred Cranford was hired. Some people say its a good hire some people say its just another fenwick hire where he will be here for 2-3 years. expectations, stats, players returning? Like what are the updates about the team?
Cranford is a great hire. I would expect him to be at Fenwick longer term (7+ years)

Not sure about returning production, but he has an excellent coaching staff, already have 2 other past head coaches, an infusion of young and experienced coaches. Also a decent amount of Alums.

I would say expect them to start competing with Badin and Alter within 2-4 years.

Cranford is a great hire. I would expect him to be at Fenwick longer term (7+ years)

Not sure about returning production, but he has an excellent coaching staff, already have 2 other past head coaches, an infusion of young and experienced coaches. Also a decent amount of Alums.

I would say expect them to start competing with Badin and Alter within 2-4 years.
I would say that cranford will keep a solid 6 guys build a team up with them as the leaders. I think his coaching style can bring fenwick back to a winning program.

He's inheriting a lot more talent than he did the last time he took over the Falcons. Offense will improve based on scheme alone. He knows how to play to his players strengths which is a common complaint with the Wing-T, doesn't apply here. There will be holes to fill due to transfers but with a lot of injuries last year there are plenty of guys with experience who can jump at that opportunity and step in.

Hard to predict anybody in D4 in OH beating Alter/McNick this year but I do think Fenwick will be improved, and I expect the program to continue to rise to a point where Fenwick is making deep runs in the playoffs regularly. He's fully invested and in it for the long haul this isn't a 2-3 year thing.

He's inheriting a lot more talent than he did the last time he took over the Falcons. Offense will improve based on scheme alone. He knows how to play to his players strengths which is a common complaint with the Wing-T, doesn't apply here. There will be holes to fill due to transfers but with a lot of injuries last year there are plenty of guys with experience who can jump at that opportunity and step in.

Hard to predict anybody in D4 in OH beating Alter/McNick this year but I do think Fenwick will be improved, and I expect the program to continue to rise to a point where Fenwick is making deep runs in the playoffs regularly. He's fully invested and in it for the long haul this isn't a 2-3 year thing.
Hard to predict anybody in D4 beating Alter/McNick??? How about Glenville? Oh and Lake Catholic is loaded again. Alter and McNick might be good but they aren’t beating these two.

Hard to predict anybody in D4 in OH beating Alter/McNick this year
Peyton Manning What GIF by Gatorade

Who is currently on staff with Cranford?

Could be the case. Time will tell

Wow think we read this same post with Snively, aregood, haverkamp, Moore, mueller in football. Won’t even go down the other sports. He’s collecting a paycheck that’s all

I heard Coach Cranford had gotten that Rickert kid and offered to Youngstown St and South Dakota St, and Rucker possibly an offer from Appalachian State. It's a good start for these kids if this is true.

Also with Halcomb's oldest son coming in for his freshman year of football, does that raise any suspicions of possibly "daddy ball" and him playing over Juniors and Seniors?

McNick will most likely be d3. Your always 2 TD's down before the game starts at Steubenville. The refs are from WV and are not held accountable in Ohio.
When do they make changes based on enrollment (CB)? I know McNicks Freshmen class in 2023 was the largest in 20 years and they may be pushing close to 700 if the incoming Freshmen class is anywhere close to that (although I think Freshmen males don’t count). They probably will be D3 soon but not sure if as soon as next Fall.

Last edited:
always 2 TD's down before the game starts at Steubenville.
Dover has been playing there for decades with no problems. Hate Steubenville as much as the next guy, but don’t think the refs are an issue and wouldn’t make anyone’s top ten list for things to hold against them.

Also with Halcomb's oldest son coming in for his freshman year of football, does that raise any suspicions of possibly "daddy ball" and him playing over Juniors and Seniors?
Nah not worried about that. Any time a kid shares a last name with that's the same as somebody on the coaching staff this will be brought up. Halcomb is a good dude, his kid will probably play at some point but they won't just start him as a freshman because of his name, he'll have to earn it. Usually coaches sons at this level are good (see Rucker).

Wow think we read this same post with Snively, aregood, haverkamp, Moore, mueller in football. Won’t even go down the other sports. He’s collecting a paycheck that’s all
Choose your own adventure:

A. Thoughts on past hire's
B. He's just collecting a paycheck
C. His offense is outdated

I've got time tonight let's run it, which one would you like me to address?

Address as you feel fit. It will be the same rhetoric as past 5 coaches. Different this time. In it for the long haul. Going to bring in this player or that player. Perfect fit offense/defensive style is the “bomb”. Results—/1-2 years in, alumni will say coach stinks, parents will be complaining because “Johnny not the QB/RB”. Wash, rinse,repeat

Address as you feel fit. It will be the same rhetoric as past 5 coaches. Different this time. In it for the long haul. Going to bring in this player or that player. Perfect fit offense/defensive style is the “bomb”. Results—/1-2 years in, alumni will say coach stinks, parents will be complaining because “Johnny not the QB/RB”. Wash, rinse,repeat
Speaking for myself personally:

Snively - Knew nothing about him. Was in college when he got hired and didn't have an opinion or pay attention. He worked out well, Fenwick screwed the pooch from the admin side.
Aregood - Still didn't really care at this point, it's on public record this was a 1 year deal from the start just google it
Haverkamp - Heard good things going in. He did well. Moved on for his wife's job, very reasonable.
Moore - Lazy hire, was an assistant and coached multiple Fenwick teams. Never endorsed this hire and he was never put in a position to succeed
Mueller - Heard good things but he was also a bit of a job hopper. Had one good year, one underachieving year. Brought plenty of talent into the program.
Cranford - The only listed hire I have had a true first hand positive opinion of. Great guy, great coach, will right the ship. The only hire on this list who previously coached at Fenwick for 7 years as a HC and 8 as an asistant. Also graduating from Fenwick. Objectively loyal to the program. His role at Fenwick in the Athletic and Admissions department along with alumni relations is perfect. All 3 departments directly or indirectly impact the football program.

You had specific concerns about his loyalty - I've addressed that, I'll point to Rick Cassano's article if you have concerns about him being able to run a modern offense. On the defensive side he's got an 8 year NFL vet who's coached in HS, College, and the NFL. No more running 50 cover 3 every play.

Snively - Knew nothing about him. Was in college when he got hired and didn't have an opinion or pay attention. He worked out well, Fenwick screwed the pooch from the admin side. Would still be there if the admin hadn't denied tuition assistance to youngest son.
Aregood - Still didn't really care at this point, it's on public record this was a 1 year deal from the start just google it Aregood wanted to return for the 2nd year but an AD with the same name as a cooler didn't want him to return due to certain parents and their concern that their son wouldn't "excel" in his system.
Haverkamp - Heard good things going in. He did well. Moved on for his wife's job, very reasonable. Very frustrated with administration and parental voices.
Moore - Lazy hire, was an assistant and coached multiple Fenwick teams. Never endorsed this hire and he was never put in a position to succeed We all know who made this hire.
Mueller - Heard good things but he was also a bit of a job hopper. Had one good year, one underachieving year. Brought plenty of talent into the program. This was universally praised as a great hire. Quickly soured on the loopholes he had to go through to do his job. Made it very clear in a preseason article how frustrated he was with the "culture" at Fenwick. Very clear he would have never left if not for the "problems" at Fenwick that he tried to change but couldn't. 4th coach in a row with the same complaints.
Cranford - The only listed hire I have had a true first hand positive opinion of. Great guy, great coach, will right the ship. The only hire on this list who previously coached at Fenwick for 7 years as a HC and 8 as an asistant. Also graduating from Fenwick. Objectively loyal to the program. His role at Fenwick in the Athletic and Admissions department along with alumni relations is perfect. All 3 departments directly or indirectly impact the football program. The savior is a coach that left his alma mater for what reasons? Yes ditched Fenwick for Loveland. Not Moeller, not Princeton, but Loveland. Inherited a great class, won a state championship. kudo's to him. A few years later was gone from that program. Well running a good program into the basement will do that to you. Applied to return to Fenwick but Haverkamp, Moore, and Mueller all hired instead. Why?

You had specific concerns about his loyalty - I've addressed that, I'll point to Rick Cassano's article if you have concerns about him being able to run a modern offense. On the defensive side he's got an 8 year NFL vet who's coached in HS, College, and the NFL. No more running 50 cover 3 every play. Can you address why this NFL vet did not even apply for the job. Wonder why he had no interest the job.

Snively: We agree on all of that
Aregood: The interest in returning was one way. It always was. Haverkamp was a better hire.
Moore: Don't disagree on this one
Mueller: I mentioned it was a good hire. Where is the longest he has stayed at one place? Here's a tip about work in general in any field - there's red tape and it's annoying. You deal with it or you'll never be happy.
Cranford: He took over a team and won state in D2, that isn't abandoning anybody that's taking a better opportunity. Stepped down for personal reasons not because of the 1-9 season, I'm sure Loveland was fine with the timing but it was his choice and everybody in his shoes would do the same thing. He didn't apply back to Fenwick until recently- nobody was ever hired over him at Fenwick. As of a few months ago I didn't expect to see him as a HC again, but when Freddy's watching the college football playoff pointing out Wing-T concepts it's bad news for the opposing defense, he's got that spark again.

Rucker: Some people are career coordinators. There is a lot that goes into being a head coach, some guys just like the X's and O's.

Snively: We agree on all of that
Aregood: The interest in returning was one way. It always was. Haverkamp was a better hire.
Moore: Don't disagree on this one
Mueller: I mentioned it was a good hire. Where is the longest he has stayed at one place? Here's a tip about work in general in any field - there's red tape and it's annoying. You deal with it or you'll never be happy.
Cranford: He took over a team and won state in D2, that isn't abandoning anybody that's taking a better opportunity. Stepped down for personal reasons not because of the 1-9 season, I'm sure Loveland was fine with the timing but it was his choice and everybody in his shoes would do the same thing. He didn't apply back to Fenwick until recently- nobody was ever hired over him at Fenwick. As of a few months ago I didn't expect to see him as a HC again, but when Freddy's watching the college football playoff pointing out Wing-T concepts it's bad news for the opposing defense, he's got that spark again.

Rucker: Some people are career coordinators. There is a lot that goes into being a head coach, some guys just like the X's and O's.
Mueller was at New Albany for 8 maybe 9 season as head coach. He told the players at the banquet he just wanted to get in the building and Fenwick said they didn't have anything open.

Snively - Knew nothing about him. Was in college when he got hired and didn't have an opinion or pay attention. He worked out well, Fenwick screwed the pooch from the admin side.
Aregood - Still didn't really care at this point, it's on public record this was a 1 year deal from the start just google it
Haverkamp - Heard good things going in. He did well. Moved on for his wife's job, very reasonable.
Moore - Lazy hire, was an assistant and coached multiple Fenwick teams. Never endorsed this hire and he was never put in a position to succeed
Mueller - Heard good things but he was also a bit of a job hopper. Had one good year, one underachieving year. Brought plenty of talent into the program.
Cranford - The only listed hire I have had a true first hand positive opinion of. Great guy, great coach, will right the ship. The only hire on this list who previously coached at Fenwick for 7 years as a HC and 8 as an asistant. Also graduating from Fenwick. Objectively loyal to the program. His role at Fenwick in the Athletic and Admissions department along with alumni relations is perfect. All 3 departments directly or indirectly impact the football program.

You had specific concerns about his loyalty - I've addressed that, I'll point to Rick Cassano's article if you have concerns about him being able to run a modern offense. On the defensive side he's got an 8 year NFL vet who's coached in HS, College, and the NFL. No more running 50 cover 3 every play.
Love this post... Anyone who thinks negatively of Cranford needs some reassurance. I was turning a blind-eye at first as well but after doing research and talking to other Fenwick parents, this seems like a great hire. I'm excited to see where Fenwick is going to be in these next couple seasons. Hopefully competing with Badin and McNick sometime in the near future.