Federal League Baseball

Caju

Any predictions on the order the teams finish?
Glen Oak?
Jackson?
Everyone else :shrug:

RingRing:

Hite as best coach in the FED is laughable... they are picked top two in the league every year and underachieve by finishing near the bottom.

Noticed that McKinley didn't make your list... they do have one of the best pitcher in the league in Cameron Palmer. Saw him throw this summer- he's very good. Don't know what they have outside of him.

1. Lake-
2. Jackson
Every year Jackson always has the best baseball Talent in the Fed. but never play to their potential

I take exception to that. Two years ago (2008) Jackson played to their potential. Their loss to St Eds in the regional semi was not related to the boys not living up to their potential.

potential?

How do u call winning the Fed three years in a row and winning over 20 games all three years not living up to potential?? U must be an inexperienced jv player with a dad that holds a grudge. Mind u, they continually play great baseball w/out D1 players. Just hardworking kids who believe in a system.

1. Perry - has 11 returning lettermen, 9 seniors, tied for 2nd last year after being picked near the bottom, 2nd best pitcher after Palmer in Chris Thomas.
2. Jackson
3. Glenoak
4. Lake
5. Fitch
6. Boardman - went 5-9 in the league last year with 2 superstar D1 pitchers, can't see any improvement, of course it was all the coaches fault
7. McKinley - not much other than Palmer
8. Hoover

1. Lake- Wagler and Kemp top an impressive Soph. class that should contribute this year
2. Jackson
Every year Jackson always has the best baseball Talent in the Fed. but never play to their potential
3. Glenoak
With 3 or 4 D-1 prospects GO can beat anybody but lack of depth will hurt
4. Noth Canton
May have the best Coach in the Fed. but fall short on talent, can not be counted out.
5. Boardman
6. Fitch

I agree with ALUM. Hite as best coach in the Fed. WOW! Over the course of a year the players are filled with the excitment of the start of the season, they win their first few games and then start to lose. The moment that happens they give up, they dislike their coach because of how easily he gives up on them when times are bad, and several times players do not get along with each other, and that starts at the top. It is more of a mess then people realize.

I do not know about GlenOak having 3 or 4 D-1 prospects. I would like to know their names. I know of one and that is a stretch. Who is coaching there again?

Jackson does win, BUT only during the season, not during tournament time.

Glad to see talk starting. The high school season will be here before you know it. I am sure it will be an interesting year.

I do not know about GlenOak having 3 or 4 D-1 prospects. I would like to know their names. I know of one and that is a stretch.
The high school season will be here before you know it. I am sure it will be an interesting year.

Sr Sutton and Jr Monnot have committed to Kent, Sutton is on the Buckeye Scout All Scout Team with 18 other players.
Monnot had a great Summer and was picked up by Midland for Nationals in Texas.
Also, Jr Birkbeck is coming on strong as a late bloomer. he was hitting mid 80's this past Summer at around 145 lbs. He'll only be throwing harder as he puts on some more lbs. I'm not sure who else they have, but there's 3.
Should be a fun yr, can't wait for baseball season...

1. Perry - has 11 returning lettermen, 9 seniors, tied for 2nd last year after being picked near the bottom, 2nd best pitcher after Palmer in Chris Thomas.

Any idea who will pitch behind Thomas? Also, how many Varsity starters are back?

Any idea who will pitch behind Thomas? Also, how many Varsity starters are back?

It seems to be an open competition. Senior Anthony Heflin pitched well after Thomas was hurt last year, beat Jackson. Junior Mike McBurney could also step up or Senior Matt McLaughlin. Returning lettermen were mostly pitchers last year or key backups except for OF Cole Tilton and 3B Robbie Purdy. 2B Mitch Mathie played last year when Jared Messer was on the mound.

Jackson will take the league easily returning their top four batters and a stud pitcher in Steve Cardwell

Jackson easily? WOW didnt know the Fed was that easy. I think you better keep that quiet until you see what other teams are bringing.

Jackson will take the league easily returning their top four batters and a stud pitcher in Steve Cardwell

Perry beat Jackson 2 of 3 games last year and the only game they lost was when Thomas tried to pitch against them with half an arm. If the umps had ever made Cardwell pause out of the stretch it would have been a different game also. When they finally did, he balked twice. If Perry wouldn't have sleepwalked through the bottom half of the league, they would have beat Jackson last year. They were 5-1 against GlenOak, Jackson, and Fitch, but only 4-4 against Hoover, Boardman, Lake and McKinley.

what ifs

Alot of what ifs from our Perry friend. Here is the facts, last year Jackson was not predicted to win the Fed. They ended up winning it by two games. As for tourney play, two years ago they made it to regionals only to lose a close game to eventual state champ St. Eds. Two regional appearances in the last 6 years is pretty good. Are there any other D1 schools in Stark Co. that have done that? Our district is very tough. If u make it out of there it is an accomplishment. Also, doing alot of winning w/out legitamate d1 players. They get knocked out with a kid throwing mid 90's at them. Who wouldn't? Also, they just played a terrible game last year in districts and Messer was a stud that day. It happens, it's baseball.

fed teams

Let's get off last year's topic. Still say Lake and Glenoak will be your favorites. Jackson will be there because they always are. It will be a fun year once again. Getting out of disticts won't be easy as Green returns almost everyone.

Several teams will be returning a lot of great hitting (GlenOak, Lake), but the league will come down to pitching. Who does Lake have returning (beside Stevens) to pitch? Yes, Birkbeck will be very effective in the Fed, but what does GlenOak have pitching-wise after that? If I'm not mistaken, their 1 & 2 pitchers were both seniors last year. As for Green, yes, they are returning a lot of starters. Gamby will be a stud on the mound and at the plate, but they have noone to catch him. Both varsity catchers were seniors. That position will be a real weakness for Green this year.

As always, the Fed will come down to the team with the deepest hitting AND pitching.

Who is or is not a legitimate D1 player is very subjective. It's often in the eyes of the beholder - and the connections a player may have. Very good players have been passed over from going D1 because no one hyped them to the D1 college coaches. Conversely, some not-so-good players have been able to go D1 because they WERE hyped. The line is very blurred as to who goes D1 and who doesn't. I've seen it firsthand.

The most important reason a team can win is because of coaching, talent and team chemistry. I've seen teams with hardly any so-called D1 caliber players that went further than teams which were supposedly loaded with D1 kids.

As always, the Fed will come down to the team with the deepest hitting AND pitching.

I guess we'll have ALL the answers to our questions by the end of the season, last year I picked Jackson. I think they'll be good again, probably in the top three but I think someone else will win. It'll be fun to see how it plays out.
Beachy from Lake who is a senior had a nice season on the hill last year. Also, from Glen Oak Sutton had some good games on the mound.

Dont be suprised when Steve Cardwell and David Devine will lead the bears to the top of the Fed for the 4th consecutive year. They also have a great catcher in Casey Irwin.

how cant jackson be the favorite again this year after winning 3 straight federal league championships...nearly all their hitting is back and they have a good 1-2 combo on the mound with Cardwell and Devine with a lefty Seanor (jackson's qb) coming out of the pen

lake and g.o. will be right with them however. anytime you have two d1 players in Sutton (Kent St.) and Monnott (Kent St.) and possibly a third with Birkbeck you will be tough. lake split with jackson last year and are solid again this year led by Wagler.

fed

First, to Ring Ring, just spoke the facts. Their is no one playing D1 baseball from Jackson from the last three Fed champs. Blame who u want! I have been doing lessons with kids in Stark Co. for along time. The facts are that the parents believe their kids are D1 material all the time. % say it won't happen. If u are good enough they will find u! If not, play another level and prove otherwise!
The Fed will be balanced as always. Fields are getting better, players better, etc. Hope they keep up with Munson so we can keep Districts there. Gives us an oppurtunity to see the kids play locally.

The Fed will be balanced as always.

I agree, I've seen good players from pretty much every school. I won't be surprised if Jackson wins the Federal, and I won't be surprised if they don't. Then again, I won't be surprised if Hoover, Perry, Glen Oak, Lake, Mckinley, Boardman or Fitch wins the Federal League. :)

Gotta think Fitch and Boardman will be coming up with some stud pitchers. Always do.

Boardman had 2 pitchers, O'Brien and McCullough get D1 scholarships last year (Bowling Green and Youngstown) and were only 5-9 in the league last year because they couldn't hit their way out of a paper bag.
If I'm not mistaken, both of Fitch's league starters last year were very young, sophomores maybe? So they would definitely look to be improved after a year of varsity experience.

First, to Ring Ring, just spoke the facts. Their is no one playing D1 baseball from Jackson from the last three Fed champs. Blame who u want! I have been doing lessons with kids in Stark Co. for along time. The facts are that the parents believe their kids are D1 material all the time. % say it won't happen. If u are good enough they will find u! If not, play another level and prove otherwise!
The Fed will be balanced as always. Fields are getting better, players better, etc. Hope they keep up with Munson so we can keep Districts there. Gives us an oppurtunity to see the kids play locally.

"If u are good enough they will find u!" - doesn't work this way in baseball. You need someone hyping you to the scouts.

"If u are good enough they will find u!" - doesn't work this way in baseball. You need someone hyping you to the scouts.

Parents need to realize it is their responsibility to market their student athletes in a sport like baseball! College coaches cannot see athletes during the spring season, so the summer and fall seasons are critical to recruiting! Playing in the right tournaments, and on competitive teams to get maximum exposure is even more important! It is ridiculous to think high school coaches have time to hype players any more! Just doesn't happen today!