Fans

Has The Pit become less intimidating? Are the fans not as loud as they use to be?

Have you not attended a game in the last 2-3 years? Yes. The Pit is just another stadium. There is no atmosphere. The crowd is becoming more and more like St X. God forbid fans, other than the students stand up and cheer loudly on 2nd or 3rd down. There was one time when the crowd got into it last night, 4th and 8 for Eds late in the 3rd when Elder started a comeback.

Saw the other night on the Trinity-X thread on the main football board. People from Moeller and X laugh when someone mentions the Pit as an advantage for Elder. It simply is not anymore.

It really isn't anymore. You think it would be though. Like 4 years ago, that place was rowdy and lound, now it is nothing. I feel like all of the fans are old people, that don't get up.

If Elder ever starts winning again, it will be back. Elder still pulls in crowds in down years, but they are not unlike every other program out there. Win and the fans show up, lose and they don't, it is as simple as that. However, the Student Section has been exceptional this year.

It really isn't anymore. You think it would be though. Like 4 years ago, that place was rowdy and lound, now it is nothing. I feel like all of the fans are old people, that don't get up.

Its not like 4 years causes decades worth of aging. The Pit can be an advantage, like it was vs LS in '10, Elder just needs to get back to winning.

My point is, it is not some permanent disappearance. If Elder does what it takes to win again, then the fans will show up. Its not rocket science, and you have to ask yourself would any other school still have the attendance Elder has with their recent down years.

I have noticed that the fans are not into the games anymore. The Pit has temporarily lost its 'Mystique'. The fans who sit between the 30's don't even cheer anymore. It seems like too many people are still satisified with the 2 state championships from 10 years ago. That is not the definition of Altiora!!

What do you guys expect? There was NOTHING to cheer about in the 1st half. The crowd came more alive in the 2nd half with the team playing better. That's just the way it goes.

If the game against St. Xavier is competitive and Elder is doing well, the PIT will be rocking no doubt.

I can't tell if prizepurple is serious or not...

Me either, if he is then there is every reason to change things. And if he was serious, there is no way I would accept it. There is a lot of freshmen talent I have seen first hand. Even on defense, they just need the right coaching. Apparently there is a lot talent in the 8th grade and some real CPS stars wanting to go to Elder, as stupid as it sounds to rely on a team 3 and 4 years down the road.

I have noticed that the fans are not into the games anymore. The Pit has temporarily lost its 'Mystique'. The fans who sit between the 30's don't even cheer anymore. It seems like too many people are still satisified with the 2 state championships from 10 years ago. That is not the definition of Altiora!!

:clap: That is an excellent post!

No, it wasn't even that great 4 years ago. It was good compared to now, but other than the Colerain-ESPN game, the Pit hasn't been "rowdy" or "loud" for years. Back when Elder was beating multiple state ranked #1 teams it was both intimidating and completely an advantage. Even during the '08 and '09 runner-up and semi-finalist teams, it wasn't the same as the late 90s and early 2000s.

What do you guys expect? There was NOTHING to cheer about in the 1st half. The crowd came more alive in the 2nd half with the team playing better. That's just the way it goes.

If the game against St. Xavier is competitive and Elder is doing well, the PIT will be rocking no doubt.

We'll see. There was a time where the crowd would be into it from the very first drive of the game. There wouldn't be waiting around for the game to "be competitive." It starts out competitive 0-0.

Has The Pit become less intimidating? Are the fans not as loud as they use to be?

Yes it is less intimidating but what do you expect? They are losing. What are fans supposed to be cheering for when teams run up and down the field on them? I think a lot of the fans there go because they love Elder but they no longer "expect" Elder to necessarily win. At least people are still showing up, how many other schools would still get good crowds coming off 2 losing seasons in a row? That said they'll never seen the atmosphere we used to see from the late 80's to the early 2000's.

The bottom line in my opinion, is all the catholic schools have far superior athletes on their teams. This wasn't necessarily the case even 10 years ago. 10 years ago most of the kids they are getting now would have gone to public schools where they didn't get good coaching and discipline. Now they are getting quality coaching and discipline by being at the catholic schools. St Ed's, Trinity, St X, Moeller all come to mind. They are just bringing in far better talent and far superior athletes than Elder is, and far better talent than they used to bring in themselves.

Last edited:
Here's what I see...not trying to start a fight or banter back and forth, just giving my opinion:

The latest generation (last 10-15 years) of Elder graduates is simply not the same as the older generation guys. While they enjoyed their time at Elder, and want them to do well, they just aren't as passionate about the school as those before them. I'm not saying they should be...just a general observation.

I think the latest generation of Elder grads who are now fathers have a much more open mind about where their sons may end up in high school. And while sending their kids to Elder would be fine, it's not a necessity. As education becomes increasingly crazy expensive, and with how many of these younger parents have moved farther west, Elder isn't a given anymore. How many of those Elder dads that live out in Miami Heights will send their kids to the brand new school at Taylor....certainly not everyone, but there will be some. It's just a matter of convenience....and cost, especially as this economy still blows.

I go to Elder games because my kids like to go. If I didn't have kids, I likely wouldn't attend very many games. But when I do go, I certainly don't feel like the stadium has near the energy as I remember back when I was a student, or even 5-6 years ago. I know that has alot to do with winning, but it seems that Elder is slowly losing the battle as their competitors seem to stand out more and more each year.

Just my two cents. Less passion in the people = less passion in the stands.

Here's what I see...not trying to start a fight or banter back and forth, just giving my opinion:

The latest generation (last 10-15 years) of Elder graduates is simply not the same as the older generation guys. While they enjoyed their time at Elder, and want them to do well, they just aren't as passionate about the school as those before them. I'm not saying they should be...just a general observation.

I think the latest generation of Elder grads who are now fathers have a much more open mind about where their sons may end up in high school. And while sending their kids to Elder would be fine, it's not a necessity. As education becomes increasingly crazy expensive, and with how many of these younger parents have moved farther west, Elder isn't a given anymore. How many of those Elder dads that live out in Miami Heights will send their kids to the brand new school at Taylor....certainly not everyone, but there will be some. It's just a matter of convenience....and cost, especially as this economy still blows.

I go to Elder games because my kids like to go. If I didn't have kids, I likely wouldn't attend very many games. But when I do go, I certainly don't feel like the stadium has near the energy as I remember back when I was a student, or even 5-6 years ago. I know that has alot to do with winning, but it seems that Elder is slowly losing the battle as their competitors seem to stand out more and more each year.

Taylor has a new high school? Where? I know I haven't lived in my parents house for the last 3 years (off to school) but I haven't heard or seen anything about this.

But either way, maybe something like .00001% of Elder grads will send their kids there. New building, same kids, same teachers, same garbage.

I actually agree with everything you said here. Especially about the recent generation of Elder grads.

Taylor has a new high school? Where? I know I haven't lived in my parents house for the last 3 years (off to school) but I haven't heard or seen anything about this.

In the process of being built...not necessarily that alot would go here, but the point being there are many other options now being considered than just Elder.

Mind you, I don't think any of this is going to shut the doors, but I think it gradually takes away from the perception of Elder being on par with the other GCL schools, both academically and athletically.

In the process of being built...not necessarily that alot would go here, but the point being there are many other options now being considered than just Elder.

Mind you, I don't think any of this is going to shut the doors, but I think it gradually takes away from the perception of Elder being on par with the other GCL schools, both academically and athletically.

Have you seen what's happening at LS? The only thing they really have going for them is a great bball program. The school itself is going downhill. Did you ever stop and wonder why more Ignatius and James kids are going to Elder? Yeah, LS's QB was a ST D kid but there's 0 chance he would make it through Elder.

Enrollment seems to be holding fine. I think the talk of the demise of attitude, success is over stated. Fact is Elder is light years better infrastructure wise, curriculum etc. than 20 years ago.

I think it must be a right of alum passage to make statements like 'when we were there passion was 10 times better etc etc. Kids today etc.

Fan passion is similar to team chemistry winning seems to do wonders. In '02 and '03 you saw a combination of hardcore fans and fair weather fans. It's just to tell them apart during the good times. All were a part of Elder nation some just not as hard core as others.