Fairmont @ Huber Heights Wayne

vamp2syd

Thoughts?

Fairmont is not fooling anyone with the game plan. Run the 40 second clock down to near zero every play and get 3 to 4 yards. Keep the chains moving, the clock moving and keep the opposing team's offense off the field. Will they be able to do this Friday night at Wayne? Defense, Fairmont is much improved but the Wayne offense is potent. They can move the ball on the ground or thru the air. I am sure Wayne will want to score first in this game so I am hoping if they do win the coin toss that they go on offense first.

My early prediction is a Wayne win...... 31-13

That's exactly what Fairmont is looking to do, week in, and week out. I had said during the Fairmont/Springfield week, that if you let Fairmont play their style and play comfortable, they can be a real chore to beat. Wayne has the type of team that can get Fairmont out of their game plan if things go well.

Thoughts?

Fairmont is not fooling anyone with the game plan. Run the 40 second clock down to near zero every play and get 3 to 4 yards. Keep the chains moving, the clock moving and keep the opposing team's offense off the field. Will they be able to do this Friday night at Wayne? Defense, Fairmont is much improved but the Wayne offense is potent. They can move the ball on the ground or thru the air. I am sure Wayne will want to score first in this game so I am hoping if they do win the coin toss that they go on offense first.

Wow imagine my shock once again at a huge win prediction by you for Wayne. You're right it's predictable the question is can Wayne stop it well enough to turn the offense loose. And keep the turnovers down as they have against the bottom feeders in the conference. A lot to be seen about Wayne, Springfield, and Centerville over the next few weeks. That's why they play the games right?

21-14 Wayne. Fairmont offense is as boring as they come and will drain the clock but i don't think it will be enough.

If Fairmont isn't fooling anyone, it would seem its record wouldn't be very good. Seems like that boring offense is pretty effective at achieving its goal.

If Fairmont isn't fooling anyone, it would seem its record wouldn't be very good. Seems like that boring offense is pretty effective at achieving its goal.
Of course, it is effective. No one runs that type of offense in the GWOC or in the majority of D1 and D2 schools. So you get one look at it per season with three days of practice and a walk-through. I mean if it is not effective and they did have a bad record it would mean that they aren't very good that year. Plus they play sound defense. Don't let anyone beat us deep and let them drive the ball on us. They will mess up a time or two out of 4 or 5 possessions that their offense gets in a game. Also very hard to replicate that offense the scout team runs throughout the week. I see this game going either way pending if Wayne doesn't capitalize on every offense series it has during the game. If Wayne scores every time it touches the ball I would say Wayne 28 - Fairmont 17

Fairmont also made what appears to be a permanent QB switch after the Springboro game with Sophomore Brock Baker taking over. the previous qb (Creager?) has moved to wingback. Baker is a better overall runner but likes to keep the ball as much as he hands it off which was not the case with Creager. I think could be a problem as he is not nearly the runner that running back Drew Baker ( no relation) is. Drew Baker had only 21 carries in the win over Miamisburg after averaging over thirty per carry with a low of 29 for the entire season to that point. Brock carried 19 times. I think for them to have continued success it needs to be a 25-15 or higher ratio for drew in order for them to beat better teams. IMO Fairmont has also had a couple of glaring shortcomings which they will need to change in order to compete with Wayne and Centerville. 1. Clock management. They are great at clock management as far as general play is concerned but I have seen 3 or 4 incidents this year where I thought they mis-managed time outs and end of half/game scenarios. Included was a delay of game following a timeout on 4th and goal from the 5 with 17 seconds to play against 'Burg last week. They completed a pass and won the game, but that would not be the norm for them IMO. 2. Halftime adjustments. At least 3 times this season they have seemed in full control of the game at the half only to have their opponents make up deficits and take leads in the third quarter. We all know their style of play ( which most of you know I love) does not lend itself to comebacks. I think Fairmont is dangerous and I would not want to get them early in the playoffs but I suspect they will not win these next two before closing at Beavercreek.

Fairmont also made what appears to be a permanent QB switch after the Springboro game with Sophomore Brock Baker taking over. the previous qb (Creager?) has moved to wingback. Baker is a better overall runner but likes to keep the ball as much as he hands it off which was not the case with Creager. I think could be a problem as he is not nearly the runner that running back Drew Baker ( no relation) is. Drew Baker had only 21 carries in the win over Miamisburg after averaging over thirty per carry with a low of 29 for the entire season to that point. Brock carried 19 times. I think for them to have continued success it needs to be a 25-15 or higher ratio for drew in order for them to beat better teams. IMO Fairmont has also had a couple of glaring shortcomings which they will need to change in order to compete with Wayne and Centerville. 1. Clock management. They are great at clock management as far as general play is concerned but I have seen 3 or 4 incidents this year where I thought they mis-managed time outs and end of half/game scenarios. Included was a delay of game following a timeout on 4th and goal from the 5 with 17 seconds to play against 'Burg last week. They completed a pass and won the game, but that would not be the norm for them IMO. 2. Halftime adjustments. At least 3 times this season they have seemed in full control of the game at the half only to have their opponents make up deficits and take leads in the third quarter. We all know their style of play ( which most of you know I love) does not lend itself to comebacks. I think Fairmont is dangerous and I would not want to get them early in the playoffs but I suspect they will not win these next two before closing at Beavercreek.

Always thought in that style of offense if the QB is running more than the RB they are not making the reads. I am by no means an expert how a qb would run that offense.

Looking over the years their defense has always been pretty tough regardless of how long the offense is on the field eating up the clock. They still have to stop the other team from scoring the majority of time they get the ball. People tend to forget that they also limit their possessions with the time of possession they they have. One 10 minute drive is still one drive.

Those last few reasons you give sound like a coaching problem. I have seen them when they are down and they still run the clock down. Is there no way they can snap the ball 10 seconds earlier?

Wow imagine my shock once again at a huge win prediction by you for Wayne. You're right it's predictable the question is can Wayne stop it well enough to turn the offense loose. And keep the turnovers down as they have against the bottom feeders in the conference. A lot to be seen about Wayne, Springfield, and Centerville over the next few weeks. That's why they play the games right?

Before the game started at Northmont I predicted a running clock and a Wayne 56-7 win. NFamousWayneFan was there and witnessed my prediction..... the score at one time was 49-7. Anyhow.... my predictions have been pretty accurate when coming to Wayne. I do not allow any bias for or against in my predictions. The only game I was wrong about was the Pick Central game..... Why do I think Wayne will win by about three scores? 1, the game is at Wayne. Wayne has had plenty of success against Fairmont at Wayne.... the struggles with the Birds seemed to be when the game is in Kettering. 2, Wayne is pretty good at stopping the run and are quick to the outsides to stall the option. Wayne should be able to get some 3 and outs and add possessions in this game. 3, Wayne has a very capable run game with two solid backs and a QB who also can run the ball (rushed for 100 yards last week)... They also can throw the ball as well as a deep threat on any given play. Fairmont has struggled against a team with a scrambling QB and can throw the deep ball (Northmont 28 Fairmont 0). To me, the safe bet is Wayne by 17. Fairmont is plenty capable of not only making this game more competitive but beating Wayne.

Not what I meant..... If you are going up against a team that plays a wishbone, a wing-T, a triple run option you know what they are going to do. That does not mean that you can stop it. Fairmont will take 35 to 40 seconds off the play clock, snap the ball and run the option. Every first down will take about 2 minutes off the clock. That being said they will chuck the ball down field a few times a game and of late they have had some trick plays as well.....

Before the game started at Northmont I predicted a running clock and a Wayne 56-7 win. NFamousWayneFan was there and witnessed my prediction..... the score at one time was 49-7. Anyhow.... my predictions have been pretty accurate when coming to Wayne. I do not allow any bias for or against in my predictions. The only game I was wrong about was the Pick Central game..... Why do I think Wayne will win by about three scores? 1, the game is at Wayne. Wayne has had plenty of success against Fairmont at Wayne.... the struggles with the Birds seemed to be when the game is in Kettering. 2, Wayne is pretty good at stopping the run and are quick to the outsides to stall the option. Wayne should be able to get some 3 and outs and add possessions in this game. 3, Wayne has a very capable run game with two solid backs and a QB who also can run the ball (rushed for 100 yards last week)... They also can throw the ball as well as a deep threat on any given play. Fairmont has struggled against a team with a scrambling QB and can throw the deep ball (Northmont 28 Fairmont 0). To me, the safe bet is Wayne by 17. Fairmont is plenty capable of not only making this game more competitive but beating Wayne.
Yeah the scrambling QB at Northmont got them earlier and I think the boro qb ran too. We saw how those games ended.

and should.

Disagree. Any team that can stop their run game, wins as Fairmont doesn't have any other offensive threats; and, worse yet, they don't even attempt to develop them.

I agree with people that have said Fairmont can only win so much with that one dimensional offense. Maybe that is enough for most supporters and players (considering the woeful past) but I would argue with that offense, they are not playing to their full potential. You can be a run dominate team but you still need a passing game.

Disagree. Any team that can stop their run game, wins as Fairmont doesn't have any other offensive threats; and, worse yet, they don't even attempt to develop them.

I agree with people that have said Fairmont can only win so much with that one dimensional offense. Maybe that is enough for most supporters and players (considering the woeful past) but I would argue with that offense, they are not playing to their full potential. You can be a run dominate team but you still need a passing game.
I've seen a school of about the same size and demographics win a couple of large trophies with a one dimensional offense.

Miller has returned Fairmont to respectability and most fans appreciate that. The program is to the point now that with the overall size of the school, the amount of students that play, and the buy in from the kids in the middle schools, there is no reason they cannot seriously compete with SHS, CHS, and Wayne etc every year. Miller’s offense made sense to keep them in games when he was building the program. Many of us who follow Fairmont greatly appreciate what Miller has done, but also believe he needs to open things up offensively if he wants to truly compete for league championships. It was refreshing to see even a handful of passes last week which helped secure the win!

Fairmont has always just been the dark horse who pulls the occasional upset. But they've never really gotten over the hump.

Thoughts?

They did beat Springfield so anything can happen...