Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Very rarely

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
I've run into a few problems the last few weeks and also heard from a number of others about the lack of access to certain businesses because they rely mostly on Facebook for their communication.

Just curious how many on here are active on Facebook, no longer use Facebook, or never used Facebook?

If so, have you run into any situations where you were completely unaware of something because the event was only discussed on Facebook?

I use it almost entirely for sharing things with family and keeping up with things through my kids schools, sports and other activities.

I'm sure the person could walk in the door to see them. Many of them no longer host their own websites. Instead, they rely on Facebook as their only portal. Calling their phone number may work as long as someone answers it.

Sounds like stupid business people if they have no email or phone they are answering reliably.

Where do you find the email address?

And yes, these are stupid business practices but it doesn't change the fact that some businesses work that way.

I can't say I've ever run into a business that didn't have a phone number and/or an email they answered. This seems like a boomer problem.

cheaper and easier to do everything via a place like facebook

you can put all your business info on there (phone number, email, web address, what have you)

and you don't need to hire a company to develop a website or anything like that

cheaper and easier to do everything via a place like facebook

you can put all your business info on there (phone number, email, web address, what have you)

and you don't need to hire a company to develop a website or anything like that
Agreed with everything you said but there is one thing that you are missing. An increasing number of Americans are leaving Facebook. That leaves alot of people unable to find or communicate with your business. I suspect there are a number of closed businesses that relied solely on Facebook and found out the competition beat them elsewhere.

Local businesses. Restaurants, retail, etc...

It's amazing how many have an online presence only on FB. And if you see them mentioned on a directory list on Yelp or whatever, there will be a link next to that business that says "company website" ..... which takes you directly to their FB page.

I post photos when I go on vacation. That's about it. Log in probably 2-3 times a week for about 20 minutes total

Agreed on business use. Around where I live it increasingly seems that newer and small businesses rely on FB as being their default website. I'm sure it's cost effective, but it seems to be a questionable strategy as younger Americans seem to increasingly be limiting their time on the platform, if not outright leaving it.

I probably browse it for maybe 15 minutes a week, and probably post on it maybe 2-3 times a year. FB traffic seems to overwhelming be Boomers and older Xers at this point.

I probably browse it for maybe 15 minutes a week, and probably post on it maybe 2-3 times a year. FB traffic seems to overwhelming be Boomers and older Xers at this point.
Agreed. I can't remember the last time I heard someone under 30 tell me something they saw on FB. Almost every person that I hear directly from that talks about FB is 50+. Several are in their 80s.

Agreed. I can't remember the last time I heard someone under 30 tell me something they saw on FB. Almost every person that I hear directly from that talks about FB is 50+. Several are in their 80s.

Outside of people posting updates on life events and maybe a handful of people that excessively post memes and "viral" content, virtually all of what I see on FB comes from people that are 45 and older. Millenials and Zers get breaking news and viral content from other apps.

Twitter has infinitely better content than facebook. It's my go to source for news, politics, sports and most importantly, memes.

Got on about ten years ago, didn't do much but thought it was neat ...the my birthday came and all these people I barely knew were wishing me happy birthday...I realized what a waste of time, I'll have to check in every day to make sure I reciprocate...haven't even looked to see if I still have a account in a few years.

I do not have Facebook account however because of some business account that I have I should get a Facebook account. ( Dont really want to, the few account that I do have on Facebook)
I know of many small engine repair/diesel/ performance builders shop that only have a Facebook account.
It is the worst way of promoting business

I have always teased my wife about it, saying that, "Facebook is just social mastrubation. It's kind of like the real thing, and it can get the job done for a bit, but it just falls short. Just pick up the phone and call!".

Some of the features like picture-sharing make it very easy and efficient to keep many family members aprised of happenings, but there seems to be a lot of BS "personal marketing" on some accounts when I look over her shoulder now and then. I don't bother with it myself.