"Extra" year

14Red

So the NCAA have given all NCAA student athletes and "extra" year of eligibility, so basically the current year did not count towards your 4 years. So my question is this, the "incoming" freshmen in the fall, they go back to having a regular 4 years, correct? Don't they kind of get screwed in this? I mean there are much less places to go for the class of 2021, and there isn't an extra year at the end of the 4 years. You could have some real veteran teams in next years NCAA tournament.

You'll see a lot of the better teams next year having multiple 5th and 6th year players. This was not a good year to be a high school senior; many will end up getting choked down the totem pole due to the additional year of eligibility.

You'll see a lot of the better teams next year having multiple 5th and 6th year players. This was not a good year to be a high school senior; many will end up getting choked down the totem pole due to the additional year of eligibility.
Meechie's year was good for gaining experience at the college level.

Glad he came this year and got a free jumpstart. Showed some flashes when he had a few opportunities, and probably better, should have gotten a lot of value out of practicing against much older players every day.

Should be very valuable next year as he should be starting and at worst platooning if they go out and get a grad transfer PG to split time with him.

The schools don't have to automatically give them an additional year on the roster. A ton of seniors won't return either by their choice or the coaches. The stars will still leave. Recruits will still get recruited. We'll hear tons of stories about how little Bobby would've played for Duke but COVID ruined his chances.

Some states are planning on offering seniors a fifth year. Kentucky is pretty sure. One stipulation is you cant turn 19 before Sept this next school year.

This absolutely hurts high school Seniors. I’d say a bunch should redshirt, but the trouble is with all the transferring it’s almost like redshirting isn’t as beneficial anymore. People want to play immediately.

Indiana had a kid, Khristian Lander, who was the same, re-enrolled and moved up, basically skipping his senior year and frankly he was bad. I really thought he's be a better player but he was lost and made mistake after mistake. At this point the Meechie kids way ahead of Lander.