Extra cash/money?

northwest07

What are the best ways to make a little extra cash? We've got some family things coming up in late March and maybe early April and having some extra money sure would be nice! What do you guys think?

Take advantage of any rewards programs you can. Credit cards, restaurants, Amazon, etc. more cash savings than earning of course.

During the winter you could always shovel sidewalks and driveways for people. Better yet if you have a truck with a plow. Weather dependent, of course.

🤣

1702683614104.png

Substitute teach. Districts are desperate and the pay adds up quickly. Combining that with Auggie's suggestion seems a popular way.
Get certified as a sports referee. I made around $4,000 this past year doing soccer games.
Assistant track coach for long distance runners. Less stress. Just stand there and yell on your mark, set, go. Then sit down on a bleacher for 10 minutes and relax until they get back. Repeat 5 or 6 times and you’re done for the day.

Substitute Teachers probably run more than Volleyball Refs🤷🏼‍♂️
lol, probably. Though I've been in some leagues they were wise to keep the head on a swivel with all the random hits. Dodging was definitely in the job description.

Back to the topic, on a time basis, how much can a ref expect to make? Here's what I got from the local website for substitutes.
The starting rate for substitute teachers is $130/day. In addition, substitute teachers can earn up to $1000 in bonus payments ($500/semester) for working a designated number of days each semester.

Actually, I thought it'd be a bit more.

Get to know and area of re-sellable marketable products very well so that you know their true values and look for bargains you can buy and then flip on Ebay, Facebook Marketplace or some other site.

Think of saving more than making.

Do your own service to save on cost of hiring it done.

Ideas? Haul your trash to the dump rather than contracting it done.
Drop cable or streaming services, instead , work a part time job instead of sitting down and watching TV.
Cut food costs by cooking at home rather than eating out.

Think of saving more than making.

Do your own service to save on cost of hiring it done.

Ideas? Haul your trash to the dump rather than contracting it done.
Drop cable or streaming services, instead , work a part time job instead of sitting down and watching TV.
Cut food costs by cooking at home rather than eating out.
Shouldn't you just pick up a second full time job at that point?

bah, sports ref has to run. Substitute teacher only has to dodge.

Dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge!

I've posted elsewhere that I occasionally work as a substitute teacher. I'm in a science class today. Kids are all doing some online review assignment. I'm getting paid $118 to take attendance and then play on the interweb. Later I will get out the book about a sea wreck and mutiny that I borrowed from an English teacher last week, The Wager.

The school is short 2 subs for math teachers, so there is still time to get paid today if you got nothing else to do.

And it is Christmas week and I there are trays of Christmas cookies in the teachers' lounge and office.

Shouldn't you just pick up a second full time job at that point?
Suppose you could, but often two full time jobs conflict with family obligations.
Have to weigh the value of more money vs opportunity costs.

Providing a service to others that is flexible in hours would be another suggestion. A friend I know swears by using his vehicle as a means of earning via product delivery or "taxi" service. He has done well providing these services for a little extra cash, and can still do them when he has time for them.

I recently wanted to pick up some benefits rather than purchase my own health care as it was jumping from $17,000 up to $22,000 for a rather basic HSA that had $7,000 deductible per person. So I would be laying out $29,000 per year before dollar one would be paid by Anthem. So I did what you are suggesting here and took on another full time job. But, that job is the most relaxing job I have ever worked. After a busy and physical weeks labor at my first job, I can go relax and recover at the new one. The only major down side is missing family events.

Dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge!

I've posted elsewhere that I occasionally work as a substitute teacher. I'm in a science class today. Kids are all doing some online review assignment. I'm getting paid $118 to take attendance and then play on the interweb. Later I will get out the book about a sea wreck and mutiny that I borrowed from an English teacher last week, The Wager.

The school is short 2 subs for math teachers, so there is still time to get paid today if you got nothing else to do.

And it is Christmas week and I there are trays of Christmas cookies in the teachers' lounge and office.
We must be in the old guys club. Getting paid to entertain yourself at work takes some change in perspective, but is a great way to keep yourself engaged and not rot in the vine. Personally, I could not take the noise and commotion for that many hours, especially on pre Christmas break week, but happy to hear you enjoy it.

We must be in the old guys club. Getting paid to entertain yourself at work takes some change in perspective, but is a great way to keep yourself engaged and not rot in the vine. Personally, I could not take the noise and commotion for that many hours, especially on pre Christmas break week, but happy to hear you enjoy it.
You are old. Students now have the greatest baby sitter created since the stun gun. I've been told: they sit on their cell phones. There is no noise. There is no movement. There is the occasional random chuckle.

Yeah, there is the occasional noise and commotion, but right now I am in a room with 11 underclassmen and they are silent.

And I had two of the Christmas cookies with my apple and cheese for lunch.