Enquirer Coverage

This may be a dead horse on this forum..... but

is the Cinti Enquirer coverage of girls soccer always this bad? I ended my subscription years ago, but now that my kids are playing HS soccer I went out to buy a paper today to look at some scores and find out who scored goals, only to find 5 pages of HS football coverage (OK, I get it, nobody cares about girls soccer according to Daugherty and the other dinosaur sports journalists in this town), but really, scores from THURSDAY in the Sunday edition? Is this what we can expect all season?

And they wonder why nobody buys a paper anymore....

The Enquirer sucks. It's an absolute rag. With the shoddy journalism, haphazard editoring, and unpunctual reporting, I'm amazed that the paper stays in business. Top all of that with the decreasing ad revenue and the paper has got to be taking a bath.

The reporting on prep sports is worthless. The paper came up with this feature known as "Preps+" awhile back. I'm not sure why it has a "+" because if anything it's a "-" at best. They'll report scores maybe twice a week. It's pathetic. Also, along the lack of timely reporting, it seems that if a game, any game in any sport either amateur or professional, ends much after 9 PM, it won't make it to print the next day. I've seen scores of Reds games when they're on the West Coast make it into the Cleveland Plain Dealer the next day yet somehow the Enquirer can't do it.

Funny that you mention Paul Daugherty. He is the only sports columnist that I think is worth a darn. If it weren't for the syndicated columnists and the daily crosswords I doubt that I would bother reading the Enquirer at all.

The Dayton Daily News is no better. Today's DDN (SUNDAY!) is still reporting soccer scores from Wednesday and Thursday ... nothing about Friday or Saturday games.

It gets worse: Today's DDN (Sunday) is still showing the Friday night HS football SCHEDULE (in case you're a time traveler and want to go back a couple days to take in a game), but not the scores, as if they are still to be played. Saturday's DDN had no scores or reports on Friday's football games either....maybe Monday's paper can finally report some Friday scores? Unbelievable with all today's modern technology. :wallbang:

As an added bonus, it keeps getting delivered later and later.

Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to record the scores off of a phone call or email or even a automated system. Then publish them. You could do it with minimal cost. Do teams still regularly report scores to the media after the game?

I know players get a thrill out of seeing their names in the paper, too bad. Or am I living in the past? Do players even know what a newspaper is? Maybe there should be a shared instagram post for HS sports! :)laugh:Or a Youtube channel)

You can't rely on the print version for anything, but the online site at cincinnati.com is quite good. You can easily check scores, standings, and stat leaders. It's tied in to league sites and very helpful. Go to sports --> Ohio high school sports --> (down on the left hand side to quick links) High school statistics. You should be able to find everything you want from there.

You can't rely on the print version for anything, but the online site at cincinnati.com is quite good. You can easily check scores, standings, and stat leaders. It's tied in to league sites and very helpful. Go to sports --> Ohio high school sports --> (down on the left hand side to quick links) High school statistics. You should be able to find everything you want from there.

Can I find out who scored the goals in last night's game?

Can I find out who scored the goals in last night's game?

For that you probably need to go to the league site. Google the league (with Cincinnati; for example "Miami Valley Conference" and "Cincinnati") and go to girls soccer. Generally, you can click on statistics leaders. It includes every single goal scorer. I'm not sure if you can get game by game scorers, but generally there are a couple ways to determine the goals scored by any individual in all games. Easiest way I know for MVC is to click on "statistics" and then either find the individual you are looking for to click on, or you can click on any individual for the team you are interested in. After that, you have the capability of checking game lines for any individual on that player's team. Many other leagues have a similar platform.

I too have been frustrated with the shoddy local sports coverage in the Dayton Daily News. Their Saturday morning paper had virtually no Friday night football scores...let alone stories. Soccer....as BlackHawk said there was nothing about Saturday soccer scores...even though some games were played Saturday afternoon. Used to get who scored...and assisted. Now lucky to get scores alone, several days later. With the paper soon...if not already to be printed in Indy and shipped to Dayton overnight...earlier deadlines will make it even worse.

I too have been frustrated with the shoddy local sports coverage in the Dayton Daily News. Their Saturday morning paper had virtually no Friday night football scores...let alone stories. Soccer....as BlackHawk said there was nothing about Saturday soccer scores...even though some games were played Saturday afternoon. Used to get who scored...and assisted. Now lucky to get scores alone, several days later. With the paper soon...if not already to be printed in Indy and shipped to Dayton overnight...earlier deadlines will make it even worse.

iluvsnow: While your Saturday's DDN might have had some Friday scores, my Saturday version had NONE. The reason, as far as I understand, is there are two daily versions of the DDN: an early (area) edition and a late (local) edition. The early edition is so outlying areas can get their paper delivered on time. I live in Kettering, but I still get the early edition (delivered late, of course), not the late version...it makes no sense. Kettering is hardly an outlying area.

Today's (Monday) DDN, finally had the Friday night football scores and Saturday's soccer results. Wow.

Last edited:
With the paper eliminating the print center on I-75 and printing being done in Indy by Gannett....we will all be in the real early print mode. Maybe Yappi can step up their game with more detail on local sports scores. Sad!

I was shocked at the lack of anything concerning Friday night sports in my Saturday DDN. Wish i could say their website was a better source for info, but it was not. I find it difficult to navigate and have just stopped trying to use them.

As an aside...was up in Delaware for a wedding Friday night. Stayed just outside the 270 loop in Columbus over night. The complimentary Columbus Dispatch at the hotel had, not only every high school football score in the state from the night before....but what seemed like at least ten by-line write-ups of Columbus area games from Friday night. And the DDN seems puzzled at the loss of readership.

I don't claim to understand the newspaper business by any means, but it would seem to me that local sports and news are in the "wheelhouse" of these papers. They certainly can't compete with the 24 hour news cycle, Twitter, Facebook, etc. on many respects, but I guess they just don't see that people like us would buy a paper if it contained more prep coverage. I guess there just ain't enough people like us! Its a shame because there was no greater thrill that getting up in the morning, running outside to get the paper and seeing your name after scoring a goal or getting a couple of hits (cue up Glory Days by Springsteen..:Ohno:)

Maybe Yappi can step up their game with more detail on local sports scores. Sad!

Personally, I can see tremendous growth in the interest in soccer in Ohio. I'm trying to increase my presence in the two soccer forums hoping more people will jump in to participate. With a few more people joining, things could really pick up in here and create more opportunities for coverage.

One thing that I would like to see is more people reporting scores with a little more detail on here. Getting just the scores is great, getting the details is even better.

Just my opinion, but newspapers have taken the wrong tact. They have downsized by cutting employees and now in the DDN situation...printing their paper by an outside vendor after spending a fortune a few years back on the monstrosity print facility on I-75. Instead of focusing on the things social media can't....local, in depth news and sports...they steadily give us less and less. So what happens....they lose more and more subscribers...paving their own way to oblivion.

Just my opinion, but newspapers have taken the wrong tact. They have downsized by cutting employees and now in the DDN situation...printing their paper by an outside vendor after spending a fortune a few years back on the monstrosity print facility on I-75. Instead of focusing on the things social media can't....local, in depth news and sports...they steadily give us less and less. So what happens....they lose more and more subscribers...paving their own way to oblivion.

So much for DDN's state-of-the-art print facility in Franklin. I doubt if it's even twenty years old. That's a great way to waste a ton of money.