Elliott and the Blizzard

SeeYaSometime

How is everyone faring now that we’re in the throes of the storm?

How are the roads where you are? Have you ventured out?

How much snow have you gotten so far?

Anybody lost power?

I’m near the Summit County/Medina County line in NE Ohio. Lots of wind, not much snow. What we’ve gotten has drifted but not bad. I went out to take in a few Christmas decorations. Wow, it is COLD. I guess around -12 windchill and the wind is brisk. Fortunately we have power. My son in North Canton just lost his. Said he had a couple surges earlier in the day but now it’s off.

ODOT closed 271 due to icy conditions. Heard there was a 55 vehicle pile up on the Ohio Turnpike. I haven’t been out but know my street was treated early this morning. My little TWP does a great job.

Hope everybody stays warm and safe.

-3 all day and very windy. Maybe an inch of snow, but it's all blown into the next county.

Had an appointment out of town this morning. 26 miles round trip. Wasn't too bad.

We filled all the bird feeders yesterday. Lots of activity today.

Planned to finish my Christmas shopping today. Will have to go out tomorrow.

Haven't heard of any problems from the family, so that's good.

Last edited:
How is everyone faring now that we’re in the throes of the storm?

How are the roads where you are? Have you ventured out?

How much snow have you gotten so far?

Anybody lost power?

I’m near the Summit County/Medina County line in NE Ohio. Lots of wind, not much snow. What we’ve gotten has drifted but not bad. I went out to take in a few Christmas decorations. Wow, it is COLD. I guess around -12 windchill and the wind is brisk. Fortunately we have power. My son in North Canton just lost his. Said he had a couple surges earlier in the day but now it’s off.

ODOT closed 271 due to icy conditions. Heard there was a 55 vehicle pile up on the Ohio Turnpike. I haven’t been out but know my street was treated early this morning. My little TWP does a great job.

Hope everybody stays warm and safe.
Hey neighbor, I'm in Granger Twp. Went out today to do a little shopping....downright bitter in Medina County as elsewhere. Can't believe we left Tucson in 2006 for this!

Buffalo is going to get hammered. All the water is heading this way. I don't recall this extended a W, S-W wind, let alone in winter. They're predicitng water levels more the 20 ft higher there, than on the western end of the lake.

Had to go to the store and got very lucky not to get in an accident a couple hours ago.

Coming over a small hill going relatively slow (10MPHish), pushed on the break and just kept sliding. Pushed it all the way to the floor and nothing. Started pumping the brakes and still nothing. There were two cars sitting side-by-side at a red light at the bottom of the hill that I was going to hit. I was in the left lane (planning on turning left at the light) and saw cars coming from the opposite direction. Swerved to the deeper snow on the sidewalk to the right side of the road and finally stopped about 10 feet from a road sign.

After taking a breath, drove past the sign, turned right towards another store and made a quick stop. Five minutes later, drove up that same hill and saw 5 different cars that had slipped off the side of the road near the same point. Cars began turning around behind them. I guess I was the fortunate first one to get there with fresh snow to slow me down. Our city does a great job of salting the hills but this nearby town clearly didn't get to this hill yet as it was basically an ice rink. Still thankful to have avoided that accident.

Not a lot of snow in western Stark County but no sense in shoveling the little that fell since the wind will just blow it back to where it was. Felt really bad for the mail carriers today. The holidays are stressful enough for them.

Went out around 4pm for a short run (2.3 miles) just to say I did it. It's a quiet neighborhood where running in the street is possible, and I'm 1 uphill block away from a flat tier of streets, so that eliminates the difficulty of running uphill in the snow. The sidewalks are generally in rough shape even when they're not shoveled, so I prefer to run in the gutter anyway. Was surprised to have no problems with ice. Only footing issues I had were tuning from 1 road to the next if there was an uneven mound of snow. There were a few more cars out than I expected. A plow had come through and cleared a strip down the middle of many neighborhood roads and de-iced the hills in the neighborhood. I was surprised the de-icing agent worked at all given the cold temperature and lack of sunshine. I usually park on the street but put the car in the driveway and out of harm's way last night.

Was either -3 w/ a windchill of -30 or -4 w/ a windchill of -17 depending on which weather app I looked at. Wind has been howling off and on all day. We have power here. Power company has contracted out a lot of work to have tree branches trimmed away from their power lines. Having typed that, we'll probably lose power overnight.

Very happy to have bit the bullet and completed my Christmas shopping on Thurs. evening.

Town 8 miles up the road had 1 of its main streets closed this morning due to a downed power line that was reportedly sparking.

Last edited:
Working yesterday and today at the airport. Yesterday I got stuck in a snow drift trying to use the ID reader to open the parking gate. My boss had to come out with a shovel to get me thru. Some kinda vicious wind out there. Could feel the tower swaying all day.

Saw only two, maybe three flights take off yesterday, and two arrivals. Felt sorry for all the passengers in the terminal trying to make arrangements, and for the snow plow and de-icing crew working out there.

Freeway seemed worse today, was fishtailing more. Black ice? Yowza.

Checked on my dad yesterday. The man gets antsy if he doesn't drive to at least two different places each day. But he was a good boy, stayed put, and I told him he's grounded two more days, minimum.

Our church is closed tonight, pastor will do service from home on FB live. Back in the day, our old church would have toughed it out.

Bit of a scare last night -frozen cold water line to master bath sink. Forgot to let it trickle yesterday morning. But I opened the cabinet, aimed a space heater under the cabinet, and got it flowing 2 hours later. Whew. Remembered to let it trickle this morning, and set the heater to come on occasionally.

Really need to give a big shout out to those who have to be out there working for us. The airport workers, firemen, safety forces, city service, mail carriers et al.

Be safe if you have to go out. Heard the roads around me are slick with black ice.

B6C1B08A-7B31-41BD-9228-A91BF0FA1B80.jpeg

Last edited:
Other than a few main roads, it seems like the City of Cincinnati decided to punt on attempting to plow and treat the roads. It’s pretty bad all over the near east side of the city.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Other than a few main roads, it seems like the City of Cincinnati decided to punt on attempting to plow and treat the roads. It’s pretty bad all over the near east side of the city.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …
I believe you. Hope it improves soon. In a lot of places the temperatures are still too low for the road treatments to have any effect.

My son who lives in Worthington said the roads there are worse than he expected when he went out earlier this afternoon. He and his family, aka the grandkids, are to come here tomorrow. Told him if roads haven’t improved by mid morning to stay home. We can celebrate another day this week. No need to put themselves in harms way.

Last edited:
Walked to the shopping center 1/2 mile from home early this afternoon. I concur with all of you that conditions were better yesterday. Snowdrifts and loose dirty snow made for slow going. The wind felt worse, too. Traffic on the collector streets looked to be moving OK.

Buffalo is going to get hammered. All the water is heading this way. I don't recall this extended a W, S-W wind, let alone in winter. They're predicitng water levels more the 20 ft higher there, than on the western end of the lake.
A buddy of mine in Sandusky texted me a picture of the Goodtimes Ferry resting on the mud of the Sandusky Bay floor. The winds have dropped the water level an additional six feet. Nothing a good Nor'easter won't fix.

My son and his family had a tough trip up 71N from Columbus late morning. He said the worst of it was closer to Columbus. Snow and ice. They saw a car slide off the roadway near the West Salem exit. No crews would be out with it being the holiday. Will they tomorrow?

We’re grateful here not to have the constant wind and finally temperatures in double digits, albeit the teens!

I don't see the road crews making any additional effort to clean up the side streets around here, so it'll likely be sloppy until Thurs. or Fri. at best. Sidewalks will be a lost cause for at least that long. Collector streets seemed fine this afternoon.

A buddy of mine in Sandusky texted me a picture of the Goodtimes Ferry resting on the mud of the Sandusky Bay floor. The winds have dropped the water level an additional six feet. Nothing a good Nor'easter won't fix.
I'll settle for a settling of winds. A NE brings all that ice with it, damaging docks and boats and worse on the way.