Eliminate Regions In OHSAA Football Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like regions - simply due to the fact that the "rules of the game" are set ahead of time for everyone, and it's a reasonable compromise between distance and rating.

If Ohio were to go to a "top 32", the only equitable pairs are going to by seed - #32 at #1, etc. ANY end-of-regular season adjustments are open to manipulation, or at least charges of such. If you go by a distance based formula, you're going to have more than one situation in which situations in which two top-ten teams in close proximity will meet in the first round, while the next team in the ratings will draw a 30-seed, and a couple of high-20 seeds will play each other. Drawing arbitrary regional boundaries will lead to charges of gerrymandering.

Believe me, I get it. Having to drive more than three hours for a playoff game is going to kill people in Ohio. Let's just outlaw these games altogether. Get rid of the playoffs. Nobody can drive more than three hours or 150 miles.

This conversation is fun every year. Starts with folks whose team doesn't make it because their region is "too strong". Then the folks who end up playing a powerhouse in Round 2 or 3 gripe because someone else has a region that is "too soft". Finally we get to the semi's and the weak are smoked and we're left with the 2 best teams and everything is "just right".

In case you missed it, Marion Local is the Goldilocks of this story.

in most cases, the strength of a region is almost impossible to predict. yes, we understand region 23 is loaded- sorry NW ohio folks, i’m sure you can stand to deal with the MAC for a couple years.

Well, OHSAA figured out a way to make sure every undefeated team gets in now.

In many respects, the strength of your schedule is hard to predict.

I did a study on this a few years ago. It has to be in the archives some place on here.
I looked at the top 32 of the state and compared it to the 8/region format. The records of those teams who 'lost out' and did not make the playoffs in the current format (8/region) compared to taking the top 32 across the state was unimpressive and not as prevalent as some may think.

The point of regions, in all the sports, is for teams of like areas to compete with one another to move onto the next level.

That is especially important in High School Athletics because of the regular season you typically play teams from a small area due to travel and your conferences. You are comparing like areas with like areas.

To compare a rural area school with very limited options for scheduling to a more populated area and the size of schools they can play leaves some areas at a disadvantage.

Plus....F the travel.

I know this is about football, but why not seed baseball and hoops statewide instead or by districts?

Because those who vote only typically have situational awareness of those in your area from either playing them, seeing them on film while scouting an opponent, etc. Schools out of your area those voters would only know by the record and reputation.

Keep the regions as they are. Horse is out of the barn so we arent going back from 16 teams so we just have to accept that portion.

I did a study on this a few years ago. It has to be in the archives some place on here.
I looked at the top 32 of the state and compared it to the 8/region format. The records of those teams who 'lost out' and did not make the playoffs in the current format (8/region) compared to taking the top 32 across the state was unimpressive and not as prevalent as some may think.

The point of regions, in all the sports, is for teams of like areas to compete with one another to move onto the next level.

That is especially important in High School Athletics because of the regular season you typically play teams from a small area due to travel and your conferences. You are comparing like areas with like areas.

To compare a rural area school with very limited options for scheduling to a more populated area and the size of schools they can play leaves some areas at a disadvantage.

Plus....F the travel.

I know this is about football, but why not seed baseball and hoops statewide instead or by districts?

Because those who vote only typically have situational awareness of those in your area from either playing them, seeing them on film while scouting an opponent, etc. Schools out of your area those voters would only know by the record and reputation.

Keep the regions as they are. Horse is out of the barn so we arent going back from 16 teams so we just have to accept that portion.
when i talk about doing away with regions, i’m thinking take the top 32 teams (or however many) and then put them into regions once those teams are selected. it probably wouldn’t be a big change, but it could balance out travel. could even do sub regions, if you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.