Elder

4GX

Elder has problems this year; their offensive line is small and struggling. Their defense has multiple issues. I thought, a few weeks ago, that this would be one of the few remaining regular season games this season without a running clock (because Elder almost always finds a way to be competitive). Now, I don't know.

Elder is down this year as they got a running clock put on them at their own home field and they are sitting at 2-3. They beat a CovCath team that is down this year as CovCath just got beat by 20 by small Beechwood HS. They usually crush Beechwood and now CovCath is also 2-3 and Elders other win came against a home school team. They were a last minute fill in due to Covid issues with Elder's original opponent.

St. X should win this game by a couple of TDs.

Likely another running clock scenario. Spect also always game plans Elder very well and in addition to them being down, he knows that as Drew Ramsey goes, Elder goes.

Elder has to find a way to get more guys involved on offense and be less predictable.

Elder is down this year as they got a running clock put on them at their own home field and they are sitting at 2-3. They beat a CovCath team that is down this year as CovCath just got beat by 20 by small Beechwood HS. They usually crush Beechwood and now CovCath is also 2-3 and Elders other win came against a home school team. They were a last minute fill in due to Covid issues with Elder's original opponent.

St. X should win this game by a couple of TDs.
I think that's being generous (to Elder)--unless "a couple" now means four or five... I didn't think that at the start of the year-- but the season's results do not indicate that Elder is bowing its back and getting hard to beat...

This will be the 103rd meeting between the 2 teams
Elder leads the series 53-43-6
They have played every year since the first game in 1923 and they have played 6 times in the post-season.
Specht vs Ramsey head to head since 2004 has St. X with a 14-7 advantage

Elder and X have only played 6 times in the post season? I would have guessed much, much higher.

Post Season X vs Elder
2001 X won 24-21 Regional Final at Nippert Stadium
2002 X lost 20-16 1st Round at Nippert Stadium
2007 X won 45-14 1st Round at Ballaban Field
2009 X lost 17-14 2nd Round at Nippert Stadium
2019 X lost 28-24 2nd Round at Mason Dwier Field
2020 X won 56-28 3rd Round at Ballaban Field

The freshman game vs Elder will be on ESPX at 5:30pm tomorrow (Wednesday)
This is the Blue Team (4-0) with wins over Lakota West 7-0, Colerain 14-6, Trinity 12-0 and Moeller 15-14

Let's get Elder week off to a good start!

GO X!

I think he's on the white team, which plays tomorrow (Thursday)
After a year with Coach T in the weight room and Tony Pike on the field wouldn't be surprised if he were part of the conversation next spring/summer

Does Saint X have an A team and a B team, or do they divide their kids up equally with the blue and white teams?

Someone asked about White & Blue (A&B). Been a few yrs for my kids but the Program tries to blend development and the athletic experience. Blue is made up of 1st and 3rd string. White is 2nd, 4th, 5th etc. They want everyone to get to play and this allows for that. Development wise, the reality is that just about all the kids on the field at the varsity level were on the 1st thru 3rd teams as Freshmen. So this lets that group get meaningful reps. The QB is a touch different, they'll rotate the ones that have varsity upside in with both at times, again to get meaningful snaps.

Someone asked about White & Blue (A&B). Been a few yrs for my kids but the Program tries to blend development and the athletic experience. Blue is made up of 1st and 3rd string. White is 2nd, 4th, 5th etc. They want everyone to get to play and this allows for that. Development wise, the reality is that just about all the kids on the field at the varsity level were on the 1st thru 3rd teams as Freshmen. So this lets that group get meaningful reps. The QB is a touch different, they'll rotate the ones that have varsity upside in with both at times, again to get meaningful snaps.
Thanks - I like that approach. Seems to pay diividends. I’m guessing that’s pushed by Specht? Or someone else?

Sounds good in theory, but I don't think many 3rd stringers played for X yesterday against Elder. They did play 2 or 3 QBs it looked like. Both teams looked to have solid defenses. The rain hampered passing game for both teams though.

Elder has problems this year; their offensive line is small and struggling. Their defense has multiple issues. I thought, a few weeks ago, that this would be one of the few remaining regular season games this season without a running clock (because Elder almost always finds a way to be competitive). Now, I don't know.
Elder DID find a way to be competitive-- for a half-- but that second half kickoff return by Kemper was "electrifying"-- and after that, it spiraled out of control.

Last edited:
Cincinnati Enquirer game article….

St. Xavier football remains unscathed after pulling away from Elder with 38 unanswered points​

***BTW…

Per Amazon website…

There are zero RUNNING CLOCKS
available in the USA
In the color of purple

GO BOMBERS!

For my Eldar friends...

2 Questions:
#1. What's the line for Friday night's game???

#2 Where the hell is Big Pun???
All is good in the world…

#1. Bombers pummeled the purple panthers of Price Hill

#2. The Man…the Myth…the Legend…Big Pun has returned to regale us with his immense football punditry

***Many thanks to Mister J. Walter Downey

Two minutes later McCaughey found McFarlin unattended from 36 yards to extend the lead to 24.

A second scoring pass to McFarlin put St. Xavier in a running clock position for the sixth time in its last seven games dating back to last year's state title game. McCaughey won that one at quarterback and now is six games deep with nary an interception in 2021.

"His efficiency is tremendous," Specht said. "The reality is for three games he only played a half of football (due to running clock scores). There's only one stat that matters and that's a win."
THIS is the difference (in McCaughey-- and thus X) in '21 vs. '20-- he doesn't make those ill-advised throws any more-- he doesn't force the ball into tight windows, almost ever, any more. Consequently, X has almost no turnovers. He was very good last year-- this year, he maybe should be called great. This is why I don't think rematches with any of this year's opponents will be closer the second time around-- he just keeps getting better.

Who is this "El Dar" of which you speak-- is he, perhaps, a famous warrior, akin to the legendary El Cid?

It's actually a once-feared ancient tribe that used to win many battles. However, they're no longer able to project such power, perhaps because their warriors are forbidden from ever leaving the west side of Cincinnati.

#3 Alex Kemper is a very underrated player for St. Xavier. Most of the attention is given to the offensive line, defensive front, QB. Kemper had the task of covering Ramsey all game, and his kickoff return for TD was impressive.