Elder Football 2019

I think that is correct with Sandhas at outside LB and it sounds like Perdue has the inside track for the other outside LB position with Keyes and Mitchell in the middle. I assume that means Tucker moved to DE, but I don't know. Ramsey specifically mentioned Ben Deters standing out at CB at practice so I think Deters is a lock at one of the CB spots. Ramsey also singled out Carter Smith(OT) as a name to watch outside of the "scholarship players".

I assume the rest of the Secondary will be a mix of Thaman, Richardson, Thomas, Wandstradt, maybe Keller.

And Smith might not be a scholarship player right now, but should be by the end of the yr.

No offense to any of these kids on defense. I just really worry about their size and athletic ability. IMO they are slower and softer than last year and we lost 42-0 to Colerain. I absolutely hope I am wrong.

No offense to any of these kids on defense. I just really worry about their size and athletic ability. IMO they are slower and softer than last year and we lost 42-0 to Colerain. I absolutely hope I am wrong.
The DL is taking a step back, and I’m not big on Sandhas being moved to LB. I do think the LB core and Secondary as units will be improved. Also, I don’t think there’s a team the caliber of Colerain from ‘18 in the Region.

I don’t know if it’s fair to call them soft before seeing them play. Certainly, you can gauge size and speed just by watching practice, but we don’t know how physical this Defense will play until they’re in pads going up vs an opposing team.

Last edited:
The last thing I would call any Elder team is soft.

In fact, their toughness often keeps them competitive with bigger and more athletic teams.

Exactly. I believe today was their first day in pads hitting. It is very early on and a lot of this can change. I'm puzzled by the slower and softer comment also. There was only 2 or 3 returning defensive players with experience. Give the new faces a chance. This is high school football not the pros. You typically reload not rebuild.

As mentioned, I hope I am wrong.

Let's see how the defense handles the scrimmages and maybe my concerns will be alleviated.

As mentioned, I hope I am wrong.

Let's see how the defense handles the scrimmages and maybe my concerns will be alleviated.
I think your concerns are valid sans the “soft” part. They’re going to really miss Bono and Hoffmeyer. I think Volkerding and Klingebeck had very good seasons as well but were overlooked.

Defense will be interesting early. On the podcast Sandhas even said not a lot of experience returning. The new LB Coach from Colerain I think will definitely help in some areas but he can’t teach speed. Sandhas moved to LB because he fastest guy on that side of ball?

Defense will be interesting early. On the podcast Sandhas even said not a lot of experience returning. The new LB Coach from Colerain I think will definitely help in some areas but he can’t teach speed. Sandhas moved to LB because he fastest guy on that side of ball?
I’m not sure how fast Sandhas is tbh. I do believe he was their best Cover guy.

I was listening to a Howie Long interview on the Dan Patrick Show and he mentioned the Steelers OL from the Steel Curtain yrs averaged about 250/260 on the OL. 40 yrs later, Elder’s Varsity OL will have 3 kids over 300lbs. That should show everyone how much bigger the players have gotten in today’s game.

Varsity goes this Friday at 7 at Elder vs. Walnut. Freshmen go at 6.

Next week on Thursday they scrimmage Anderson also at 7 at Elder. JV goes at 6.

The new scoreboard has been installed. I guess it basically is the same size as the old one, as they used the same four support beams in their same locations for ease of permitting and installation. It has room for some ads but doesn’t have a play clock. Presumably all the bulbs will be working when Indy Cathedral comes to town in week 2; maybe everyone will even be able to read the winning split-the-pot numbers!
The new LED lights have been installed and aimed. At full power they are over twice as bright as the old ones. Since they are LEDs, a number of effects options are available; it will be interesting to see which, if any, options they purchased for the new lights. The spots on the field that were a bit dark with the old lights should be eliminated.

The new LED lights have been installed and aimed. At full power they are over twice as bright as the old ones. Since they are LEDs, a number of effects options are available; it will be interesting to see which, if any, options they purchased for the new lights. The spots on the field that were a bit dark with the old lights should be eliminated.

It would be cool if the lights could flash after a touchdown like the lights at GABP do after a home run.

Elder alumni playing Division 1-A this year.

Boston College
Spencer Bono, Fr., DE, Elder

Bowling Green
Deonta Belser, Sr., DL, Elder

Cincinnati
Joe Schroer, Sr., DT, Elder

Indiana
Peyton Ramsey, Jr., QB, Elder

Notre Dame
Tommy Kraemer, Sr., OL, Elder

Ohio
Ja’Vahri Portis, Jr., RB, Elder

Tennessee
Michael Bittner, Fr., QB, Elder

Elder alumni playing Division 1-A this year.

Boston College
Spencer Bono, Fr., DE, Elder

Bowling Green
Deonta Belser, Sr., DL, Elder

Cincinnati
Joe Schroer, Sr., DT, Elder

Indiana
Peyton Ramsey, Jr., QB, Elder

Notre Dame
Tommy Kraemer, Sr., OL, Elder

Ohio
Ja’Vahri Portis, Jr., RB, Elder

Tennessee
Michael Bittner, Fr., QB, Elder
Bryce Martin at TN Tech.

Any updates on how many games the Walnut transfer will be allowed to participate in? Anybody have any insight on how the D has looked against the O in practice?

Any updates on how many games the Walnut transfer will be allowed to participate in? Anybody have any insight on how the D has looked against the O in practice?

I’ve gotta assume he’s fully eligible since he’s taken all the first team reps in practice and the 7 v 7. Like we said before, the transfer rule makes no sense. It seems arbitrary as to when it’s applied and when it’s not. Maybe he was granted eligibility bc Elder and Walnut are technically both located in the Cincinnati Public School District?

I think they changed the transfer rule to if they don't meet one of the exceptions, they have to sit the 2nd half of the season and the post season. Guess we will find out week 6. If he is a potential scholarship football player, I cant see anyone taking that long of a sit out period junior year.

I think they changed the transfer rule to if they don't meet one of the exceptions, they have to sit the 2nd half of the season and the post season. Guess we will find out week 6. If he is a potential scholarship football player, I cant see anyone taking that long of a sit out period junior year.

The we will find out week 6 is why I asked. If he taking all 1st team reps so far but will be gone after 5 weeks, that probably not the best idea. Will need someone ready to play in that spot. Transfer Rule always seems to apply differently from Sport to Sport and Year to Year.

I heard he will be eligible for the full season as he meets one of the exceptions. I haven't heard a lot about the defense, but here's a couple things I heard from Ramsey interview with Dyer. Sandhas who is one of the 2-3 returning defensive starters has moved to outside LB. He adds some athleticism there and should excel there, good move I think. Ramsey mentioned Deters at CB as standing out in practice. The Walnut transfer will be in the middle along with Keyes. Keyes saw a lot of time at LB last season until he got hurt and should be in for a big season. I think the defense won't have elite speed like Colerain usually has, but they are pretty fast. The defense will probably surprise everyone considering the lack of returning experience and the fact that the offense is the team's strength.

We might see this on Friday. Anyone know anything different or can fill in? I think a few positions have been up for grabs, but they have probably settled on something for the first scrimmage Friday.

DE Buller
NG ???
DE Tucker?
OLB Sandhas
ILB Keyes
ILB Mitchell
OLB Perdue
CB Deters
CB Thomas?
S Thamann
S Sobato?

Folzenlogan and Willenborg should get reps on D Line. Some other possible LB: Stemler OLB, Ott and Weber at ILB. Seger, Wandstrat and Miller may get some reps at DB. Wouldn't surprise if they ran 18 guys to make the 11 spots work.

I heard he will be eligible for the full season as he meets one of the exceptions. I haven't heard a lot about the defense, but here's a couple things I heard from Ramsey interview with Dyer. Sandhas who is one of the 2-3 returning defensive starters has moved to outside LB. He adds some athleticism there and should excel there, good move I think. Ramsey mentioned Deters at CB as standing out in practice. The Walnut transfer will be in the middle along with Keyes. Keyes saw a lot of time at LB last season until he got hurt and should be in for a big season. I think the defense won't have elite speed like Colerain usually has, but they are pretty fast. The defense will probably surprise everyone considering the lack of returning experience and the fact that the offense is the team's strength.

We might see this on Friday. Anyone know anything different or can fill in? I think a few positions have been up for grabs, but they have probably settled on something for the first scrimmage Friday.

DE Buller
NG ???
DE Tucker?
OLB Sandhas
ILB Keyes
ILB Mitchell
OLB Perdue
CB Deters
CB Thomas?
S Thamann
S Sobato?

No disrespect to Sabato. He might be as fast as Luebbe or Ramsey, but he’s just too small size wise to start as a Varsity Safety. He can still be valuable as a Kick Returner.

No disrespect to Sabato. He might be as fast as Luebbe or Ramsey, but he’s just too small size wise to start as a Varsity Safety. He can still be valuable as a Kick Returner.

He's Rudy from the football movie set at Notre Dame. Same Heart. Gives his all.

He's Rudy from the football movie set at Notre Dame. Same Heart. Gives his all.

Sabato is a good athlete, but he just doesn’t have the size. Again, don’t take this as me putting him down. I respect all of the work the kids are doing to get ready for the season.

And don’t bring up Drew Metz, that was a difft era. He wouldn’t have been nearly as effective if he had to play coverage more often than run support.

Last edited:

DE Buller
NG ???
DE Tucker?
OLB Sandhas
ILB Keyes
ILB Mitchell
OLB Perdue
CB Deters
CB Thomas?
S Thamann
S Sobato?

Appreciate the insight. LBs listed above should be a solid unit. Think Thamann could be a really good safety also. Not sure on Sabato, small but not afraid to stick his nose in there and mix it up a little?

Appreciate the insight. LBs listed above should be a solid unit. Think Thamann could be a really good safety also. Not sure on Sabato, small but not afraid to stick his nose in there and mix it up a little?
He plays tough, no question. However, he was listed at 5’5’’ 135 lbs last yr. Even if he’s grown to 5’7’’ 155 lbs, that’s still not big enough to play Varsity Safety. If he’s grown, with his speed, he could play Corner.

He plays tough, no question. However, he was listed at 5’5’’ 135 lbs last yr. Even if he’s grown to 5’7’’ 155 lbs, that’s still not big enough to play Varsity Safety. If he’s grown, with his speed, he could play Corner.
If he got up to 155/160 then he'll be fine. I'd also imagine he's probably going to gain an inch or 2. This is still high school level football. There's safeties in the NFL right now who are 5'8"/5'9", sub-200 lbs. He can be a high school safety if he's good enough

If he got up to 155/160 then he'll be fine. I'd also imagine he's probably going to gain an inch or 2. This is still high school level football. There's safeties in the NFL right now who are 5'8"/5'9", sub-200 lbs. He can be a high school safety if he's good enough

I was just throwing it out as a hypothetical. Adding 2 inches in height and 20/25 lbs is a lot for someone who is small to begin with. It’s not impossible, but it would be atypical.

Last edited:
I have no idea if he excels at another position but am thinking if he as athletic as everyone is saying he could excel or help solidify a weak spot somewhere on the field if given the opportunity. Maybe he is only interested in being a QB. I have know idea just seems he in the top 25 in Football talent in the program. Those are the guys I want to see play!

If you have what I think many would label as the QB of the future you don't play that kid at another position. Let him continue to get Reps on JV and as a backup QB to get better as a QB. I am not going to debate with others his abilities because I trust the people I know who tell me the kid has the athletism and smarts to be a good one. Keep him where he is at and if an opportunity breaks for him to get a shot at play QB at Varsity then so be it.

Last edited: