Elder Basketball 2022-2023

Did you see the game? Or just listen? Wonder how Browne v Starks went underneath.
It was pretty even. Starks inside mostly passed the ball. Real good passer. The difference in game was three point shooting. Neither team handles the ball well when pressured. Also, the refs in the first half called a good game and in the second half changed up and made most of the close calls against elder. Also it seemed the woman ref was the only one that would call anything against starks.

Elder plays #31 Aiken on Friday 2/17, 6pm @ West Clermont. If they win, they'll play Tuesday 2/21, 6pm against #13 Middletown who has a Bye.

Other notables:
#10 St Xavier and #11 Turpin are both in with Fairfield.
#9 Withrow is in with Withrow.
#12 LaSalle and #14 Oak Hills are in with Mason and Anderson.
FF could have issues with either X or Turpin.
Elder could have issues with Middletown, huge for them to get out of this sectional with easier District game.
Withrow took Moe to OT early in the year. Moe/Princeton District would be a great game.
1 of Milford OH Mason Anderson LaSalle will make District.

E definitely taking a risk, potentially facing Sycamore in sectionals. However, it’s the smart move. They can’t beat Centerville or Wayne, but they’ve already beaten Fairborn.

E definitely taking a risk, potentially facing Sycamore in sectionals. However, it’s the smart move. They can’t beat Centerville or Wayne, but they’ve already beaten Fairborn.
Elder was the 2 seed, so they chose their spot on the bracket before Sycamore. Sycamore chose to jump in with Elder. But Elder did choose to go the District route of Fairmont/Beavercreek if they make it that far.

Anyone is beatable, but agree Centerville would be tough. But Elder can certainly beat Wayne on any given day.

If Elder has a good shooting day, they can beat anyone. But we've also seen them have several really bad shooting days.

Wonder why they wouldn't of taken where Moeller ended up. On paper that seems to be the easiest bracket.
I thought the same thing. My guess is that leads to a tougher district game with Princeton for Moeller, where Elder "should" have an easier game in their District. It's a balancing game.

I'm sure Elder wouldn't want to see Centerville until the Regional Final, but you can't have everything.

Is Sycamore's big man expected to return at all or is he done for the year? Definitely a winnable sectional for Elder.

I thought the same thing. My guess is that leads to a tougher district game with Princeton for Moeller, where Elder "should" have an easier game in their District. It's a balancing game.

I'm sure Elder wouldn't want to see Centerville until the Regional Final, but you can't have everything.

Is Sycamore's big man expected to return at all or is he done for the year? Definitely a winnable sectional for Elder.
Sycamore big man may be out for an entire year...

Elder/Sycamore will face Centerville in Regional semi.

Moe got a ton of respect by coaches obviously avoiding them in their sectional. If seeds hold it will be Moe, Princeton, Wayne in Regional final vs Centerville.

Sycamore chose Elder bracket because they knew if they chose their own teams would have come after them. This was a smart move by them knowing they only have to beat Elder before making a regional. (On paper easier District game)

Sycamore big man may be out for an entire year...

Elder/Sycamore will face Centerville in Regional semi.

Moe got a ton of respect by coaches obviously avoiding them in their sectional. If seeds hold it will be Moe, Princeton, Wayne in Regional final vs Centerville.

Sycamore chose Elder bracket because they knew if they chose their own teams would have come after them. This was a smart move by them knowing they only have to beat Elder before making a regional. (On paper easier District game)
I've heard Raleigh is in the boot until April, then will start rehab. He might get back for some end-of-summer AAU. Haven't heard anything that makes me think he would be doubtful for next year.

Regarding Sycamore's draw, they knew that if they chose their own sectional, Princeton was joining them. They also knew Lakota West was going to come after them for a 1st round game, which they did. They badly want to win a district title as they only have 1 in school history. Lakota West-Elder-Fairmont is a much easier path in their mind as opposed to Lakota West-Princeton-Moeller or Lakota West-Moeller-Princeton.

First of all, it's going to take everything they have to just get through Lakota West as they lost by 3 and won by 1 in OT in the two games in the regular season. Second, they beat Fairmont by 14 earlier in the year, and it could have probably been worse. Finally, I think they feel like they match up with Elder a lot better than they do Princeton or Moeller as they struggle with pressure. Moeller's length and athleticism defending would give them problems while Princeton made them work extremely hard to even get the ball across half court in their two regular season meetings. They split with Princeton, losing by 5 and winning by 5, but Sycamore played extremely well in the win and it was tied with 45 seconds left. Sycamore did whatever they wanted offensively against X and LaSalle, and I think they feel they can do similarly against Elder. They were very poor in the 1st half against X, being down 24-18 at half, but outscored them 41-26 in the 2nd half when their shots started falling. They blew out LaSalle 70-48 and shot 13-20 from 3. Now, Elder is a much better offensive team than X or LaSalle, but Sycamore feels like they can get their shots and, if they shoot well, they can win. Austing also knows Elder intimately well, having just been on their coaching staff and being good friends with Coach Schoenfeld.

I've heard Raleigh is in the boot until April, then will start rehab. He might get back for some end-of-summer AAU. Haven't heard anything that makes me think he would be doubtful for next year.

Regarding Sycamore's draw, they knew that if they chose their own sectional, Princeton was joining them. They also knew Lakota West was going to come after them for a 1st round game, which they did. They badly want to win a district title as they only have 1 in school history. Lakota West-Elder-Fairmont is a much easier path in their mind as opposed to Lakota West-Princeton-Moeller or Lakota West-Moeller-Princeton.

First of all, it's going to take everything they have to just get through Lakota West as they lost by 3 and won by 1 in OT in the two games in the regular season. Second, they beat Fairmont by 14 earlier in the year, and it could have probably been worse. Finally, I think they feel like they match up with Elder a lot better than they do Princeton or Moeller as they struggle with pressure. Moeller's length and athleticism defending would give them problems while Princeton made them work extremely hard to even get the ball across half court in their two regular season meetings. They split with Princeton, losing by 5 and winning by 5, but Sycamore played extremely well in the win and it was tied with 45 seconds left. Sycamore did whatever they wanted offensively against X and LaSalle, and I think they feel they can do similarly against Elder. They were very poor in the 1st half against X, being down 24-18 at half, but outscored them 41-26 in the 2nd half when their shots started falling. They blew out LaSalle 70-48 and shot 13-20 from 3. Now, Elder is a much better offensive team than X or LaSalle, but Sycamore feels like they can get their shots and, if they shoot well, they can win. Austing also knows Elder intimately well, having just been on their coaching staff and being good friends with Coach Schoenfeld.
Glad to hear that about Raleigh. That's great news.

Couldn't agree more about why Sycamore jumped in with Elder. It's a really good matchup for both teams and like you said Austing knows everything about Elder and has the coaching advantage in my mind.

Elder wanted no part of the Princeton pressure either, i'm sure Elder was "happy" they got Sycamore instead of Princeton.

Need to focus on task at hand. Friday is for the GCL. Will Whitmer come out of a scoring slump. Will Williams and Murphy continue to take more active roles. Nobody is an underclassman anymore- we are 20+ games in.

i've read through all of these and i don't really care what any of you say. You guys all saying that we don't have the team to make a toruney run and Omar saying "They won't make it past Dayton." We know what we got and this team has grit. I can't wait til we make it past Dayton and prove all you wrong and you'll all eat your words. None of you better celebrate our success when we do what you guys said we can't do all season.

i've read through all of these and i don't really care what any of you say. You guys all saying that we don't have the team to make a toruney run and Omar saying "They won't make it past Dayton." We know what we got and this team has grit. I can't wait til we make it past Dayton and prove all you wrong and you'll all eat your words. None of you better celebrate our success when we do what you guys said we can't do all season.
If you're on the team, good. Use it as extra motivation. These crusty old dudes don't know anything.

E with a good win 61-48 over Fenwick. Browne was dominant with 27 points. This E team is very good on Defense, especially at using their hands to poke away the ball or create deflections.

I root against X, Moe, and LaSalle 99% of the time. When they are playing one another, I root for both teams to lose.

Once the tournament starts, Wayne and Centerville are just as much our competition as X, Moe, and LaSalle.
I thought LaSalle was always your west side brother school?
At least at used to be that way until LaSalle won some state championships.

There is a somewhat important game tonight. Tips at 7:30.
Elder played Moeller tough out there, even though it wasn't a great 2nd half.

If Elder can hit a couple shots - which they should at home, and if they can keep Moeller in check shooting the 3, I think E wins by 6-10 points.

If Whitmer is indeed out, which I would be surprised if he doesn't play at all, then Murphy, Johnson and most importantly Williams will need to step up, especially in the scoring dept.

Moeller doesn't have anyone who can stop Browne inside either, they've got length but no one that can really body him up inside.

Officiating left a lot to be desired, but it was nice seeing Carl storm off in a fit. What a p**sy.

Whitmer clearly isn’t 100% but he came up huge late in the game, scoring Elder’s last 5 points, including the GW layup

Also, Gutenkust made a huge play on D that final play, poking the ball away causing a scramble for the ball. Mukes still got a good shot off but it was just off the mark

League game against Moeller. Senior Night. GCL Champs!

Elder's players will remember tonight's game for the rest of their lives. #Altiora

Last edited: