Elder Basketball 2022-2023

I thought this team would be decent, but not 20 wins good. They did go unbeaten on the JV Level.
I think that's why alot of people didn't expect big things from this group. How can they possibly be a better team losing Harp and Keller? On the surface it makes sense, but as good of shooters as they were, that team was flawed. They relied too much on those two and the 3 point ball. This is a much better constructed team with complementing skill sets.

This team doesn't shoot as well, but does everything else better.

As far as the game goes, Elder should be confident they can win, but it’s not a given. If Fairmont gets hot like they did in the 4th qtr of the regular season game, Elder will have a real fight.

Also, something that comes up every time they have to play at UD, is adjusting to the backdrop. Back in 2019, the last time they actually played at UD, they got shut out in the 1st qtr. Now, the circumstances are a lot difft, but for confidence purposes, it’s important to get a few quick buckets early.

The Panthers program at the grade school level is starting to deliver on kids playing together for years. It’s a good system that is allowing Elder to have better teams at the high school level. Hopefully this continues for many years to come.

Streaming info for tonight's Elder vs. Kettering Fairmont District Final game:

Free audio only stream from ENN: https://www.ehsports.com/News/554b8939-4514-41db-ba8b-3f470d9a9f8c/

TKDS Sports Network will have a video stream of the game on NFHS Network which requires a paid subscription or using the promo code below.

To get a free NFHSNetwork.com account you can go to this URL, https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/redeem and enter the promo code WCAT23 to get a free subscription through June 30, 2023.

E shoots 19-34 from the field and 15-19 from the line and pulls away late after another very slow start. Centerville next who destroyed Anderson.

We can no longer just rely on talent from here on. We need miracles and three point shots to fall.
To add to that, they only attempted 4 3s all game. I don’t believe it will take a “miracle” to beat CV (Moe played them close). Elder is definitely the underdog, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility for them to win this game.

Elder will have to be physical on defense to try to take Centerville out of what they want to do. I don’t think they can completely stop them, but if they’re physical, they can slow them down.

Defensively, Centerville just overwhelms weaker team with their pressure, like they did against Anderson today. Anderson’s guards weren’t very good, which is what you need to attack Centerville. Elder will need Williams to have a big game attacking the rim, and then they need to hit some shots. They’ll get open looks if they handle the pressure and play under control.

Tonight was Elder's 20th basketball district championship all time.
In the Cincinnati area, I would assume that’s only behind Middletown and Moeller and maybe Hamilton if you count their district titles when the school was split?

Obviously the 2021 team won Districts as well, but trying to think the last Elder team before that to make a Regional bracket. Nothing comes to mind in recent history. Who was the last team besides 2021 and 2023 to make Regionals?

Did any of those Frankie Hoffmeyer or Brad Miller teams make it? They were really good. Before that I'm drawing a blank.

Obviously the 2021 team won Districts as well, but trying to think the last Elder team before that to make a Regional bracket. Nothing comes to mind in recent history. Who was the last team besides 2021 and 2023 to make Regionals?

Did any of those Frankie Hoffmeyer or Brad Miller teams make it? They were really good. Before that I'm drawing a blank.

Last edited:
The 2007 team was actually the last year to play in the regional, lost in the semifinal
It looks like the 2006 Elder team last played in the regional final before losing. That team finished 22-3
Last Elder team to make the state final four was the 2001 team

Last edited:
The 2007 team was actually the last year to play in the regional, lost in the semifinal
It looks like the 2006 Elder team last played in the regional final before losing. That team finished 22-3
Last Elder team to make the state final four was the 2001 team
Those 06 and 07 teams were 3 outstanding shooters around Kyle Rudolph. Really good teams. The 07 team shared the GCL-S title with Moeller, who beat 3rd place X in the state championship game.

If I remember correctly, the 2006 team lost to Reynoldsburg in the Regional Final up at the Columbus Fairgrounds. Elder chose the Columbus route, back then there were 5 SWO Districts. The 2007 team lost to Yancy Gates and Withrow in the Regional Semifinal out at XU.

There were a handful of Elder teams since then that had made the District Final game, few more that lost in the Sectional Final (District Semifinal).

The one year with Hofmeyer and Miller, the Panthers lost to Vince Edwards at Middletown out at XU. And the following year, Elder lost to LaSalle who had Fleming's son out at Lakota West.

If I remember correctly, the 2006 team lost to Reynoldsburg in the Regional Final up at the Columbus Fairgrounds. Elder chose the Columbus route, back then there were 5 SWO Districts. The 2007 team lost to Yancy Gates and Withrow in the Regional Semifinal out at XU.

There were a handful of Elder teams since then that had made the District Final game, few more that lost in the Sectional Final (District Semifinal).

The one year with Hofmeyer and Miller, the Panthers lost to Vince Edwards at Middletown out at XU. And the following year, Elder lost to LaSalle who had Fleming's son out at Lakota West.
They lost to Lancaster after beating Reynoldsburg.

I’m not sure why Elder wanted to make this into a full court game instead of grinding it out in the half court. I don’t see anyway they can get back in this now.