Elder Basketball 2020-2021

Have to question the TO usage. When Keller got caught in a trap they didn’t call TO, end up getting 10 sec, but they use a TO at a dead ball later in the qtr

Turnovers and Sub Par D. Think in 2nd Half Elder had every type of Turnover possible! Made a good run out of a strange and difficult season.

Elder made a three with about 2 minutes to go in the 3rd to extend the lead back to 10 at 34-24. From that point on it was all Centerville. Meltdown is the perfect definition of what happened tonight. Elder looked like the moment got too big. Very uncharacteristic plays - 10-second call, over and back, multiple charges leaving their feet and throwing a pass. Feel bad for the seniors because they deserved to go out better than this. You'll definitely have some hungry guys headed into next season after the sour taste in their mouth from tonight.

I watched a good amount of the X-Moe game and wow. That may have been the best HS basketball game I've seen. What a comeback by X. The Senior, Kirby had a hell of a game including the game-tying 3 with under 10 seconds to go. That game was the Regional Final to me, as I don't think based on the way the two teams played tonight that either Elder or Centerville was beating Moeller. Stinks the Panthers don't at least get the chance.

Elder made a three with about 2 minutes to go in the 3rd to extend the lead back to 10 at 34-24. From that point on it was all Centerville. Meltdown is the perfect definition of what happened tonight. Elder looked like the moment got too big. Very uncharacteristic plays - 10-second call, over and back, multiple charges leaving their feet and throwing a pass. Feel bad for the seniors because they deserved to go out better than this. You'll definitely have some hungry guys headed into next season after the sour taste in their mouth from tonight.

I watched a good amount of the X-Moe game and wow. That may have been the best HS basketball game I've seen. What a comeback by X. The Senior, Kirby had a hell of a game including the game-tying 3 with under 10 seconds to go. That game was the Regional Final to me, as I don't think based on the way the two teams played tonight that either Elder or Centerville was beating Moeller. Stinks the Panthers don't at least get the chance.

I wonder if playing in front of a real crowd for the first time all yr rattled them.

Centerville D frazzled Elder in the second half. They made good adjustments and we didn't.

Elder had a good game plan on Defense. CV just hit some deep shots and even banked in a few 3s. If you’re Elder, you just have to tip your cap on some of those. The meltdown on Offense was where the game turned. I don’t know why Elder was so stingy with their TOs in the 3rd Qtr when clearly the momentum was swinging and the players were getting rattled.

I wonder if playing in front of a real crowd for the first time all yr rattled them.
Didn't seem to for the first 2+ quarters. It really started going downhill after that 10-second call (and I agree with you, they needed to call a timeout there and it needed to come from the bench). Centerville started to feed off their defensive energy especially #0. Then Elder started to panic. Too much dribbling, not enough offensive movement, poor rotations on defense. Centerville had some bounces go their way, things entirely out of Elder's control which you need this time of year to survive at times.

Centerville pressure defense was the difference in the 2nd half. Elder could not handle it. They pushed Elder's offense so far out, it kept Elder from getting looks.

Elder coaches did not adjust. CVille had NO ANSWER for Larkins, but Elder did not make any effort to get him the ball. Never once did he post up and get the pass. Elder just continued to rely on an offense being run 27 feet from the rim with Larkins setting picks. If Elder gets the ball to Larkins at 15 feet and in, CVille could not stop it. Also, CVille had a kid playing hurt on one leg. He could not guard anyone, yet Elder never made an attempt to find him and take advantage. No in-game adjustments made by the staff. Keehan deserved to play more in the 2nd half. He is the 3rd best shooter and with all the focus on Harp/Keller, he could have made a difference.

All that said, it was 48-43 with 48 seconds to go and Elder at the line for 1&1. Elder shooting to make it a 3 point game with 48 seconds, but Elder missed and that was the game.

Moeller beats CVille by double digits. 62-47.

Last edited:
Thanks. I had no idea Keehan fouled out.

At one point in the 4th the fouls were 8 to 1 in favor of Centerville and then 10-2. The refs then called 3 BS calls to make it not look so extreme.

Thought they were going through the motions the last 10 minutes of the game on offense, especially against the press; did not show any real urgency/aggressiveness until they were down by six. Then it was almost too late. I thought it was almost a mental thing and they never really thought they were going to lose or could lose.

it surely was not the best reffed second-half game I’ve seen.

Give the Elks all the credit though. Just didn’t think their defense would win the game for them.

It just wasn’t there in the second half tonight. (I thought it wasn’t their best first half offensively either I’ve seen this year except they did not turn the ball over very much, Some days just don’t have it, I guess.)

I’m not going to second guess the coaching...the coaches will evaluate themselves...because I do not know what was being told to the players.

Great season for the Panthers and thank you seniors for leading this team to a co-GCL and District Championship.

I also do not see Moeller having too much of a problem in the regional final. The Elks will not be getting that many open shots and MO will handle their press. Also, I don’t think the Elks will be shooting a lot of free throws.

Centerville is a very good team. No shame in the loss. They got beat by a better team. No way they lose to Moe by 15. Wouldn’t be surprised if they beat them, and frankly, I hope they do. That team is more than capable of beating Moe and yes, they will be able to get shots off.

Once Centerville realized E didn’t like the pressure on D, they were like sharks to blood. That was the difference as other poster pointed out. They turned up the heat on defense and make Elder extremely uncomfortable.

One thing I really like about Centerville is their coach allows them to play freely. Yes they took some bad shots, but they were capable of making them and he didn’t yank them for it. He knows he had talent and gave them leeway to use it.

I think the coaches did a very good job this year. They changed their style a bit and it helped. I hope they continue moving the needle in that direction with an even more open style.

Last edited:
What’s the roster for next year gonna look like. Anyone quitting or coming back. Also what sophomores and freshman could crack the rotation

Harp, Keller, Busam and Kirch I’m guessing are all back. Browne is likely a starter. Whitmer will get a lot of minutes and start. Probably not any current freshman ready to make the leap to varsity.

For all others, make it a competitive off-season to fill out the roster. There’s probably 10-15 kids to fill out 6-7 spots depending on who develops and gets better over the next 9 months.

Last edited:
What’s the roster for next year gonna look like. Anyone quitting or coming back. Also what sophomores and freshman could crack the rotation

Maybe 1-2 Sophs will dress Varsity but probably won’t be much of a factor. Zero Freshman will play Varsity, that’s pretty much a guarantee. Next yr’s Lineup s/b:

C/F- Browne
F- Busam
G- Whitmer
SG- Harp
PG- Keller

Bench:
Kirch
Menninger
Vaughns
Murphy
Johnson

There are 7 coming back. JV went undefeated, so there will 5-6 of those kids filling out the bench. I didn’t see any freshmen this year that are good enough to play varsity next year.

There are 7 coming back. JV went undefeated, so there will 5-6 of those kids filling out the bench. I didn’t see any freshmen this year that are good enough to play varsity next year.

I assume this means some players are coming back? Outside of maybe Ramsey, who is ultra athletic, there is no one else who should just be handed a roster spot, especially if they didn’t play this year.

There is no one that is that good that’s not currently playing that they should just be able to jump kids who work all year to get better. That’s some BS if true. Even bigger BS if it’s already been discussed or known, which seems to be what you’re implying.

If you quit on the program and didn’t even bother to go to open gyms, training sessions or tryouts, and then they just welcome you back with open arms and hand you a roster spot, that’s a problem. If Elder does that, and is allowed to get away with it, never again do I want to hear how hard work and dedication matters.

Decisions like that are program killers. If you decided not to play and didn’t even attempt to make the team or dedicate any time to basketball because you might have gotten cut, you start back at square one.

Last edited:
There are only 5 juniors on the current roster correct? I assume Menninger is part of your count?

If a kid like Menninger gets passed up just because certain families or kids think they’re entitled to a roster spot because they’re football “stars”, that kid, his family, and every freshman and JV basketball family should show up in the AD and Principals office pretty pissed off.

Last edited:
The Soph class in the GCL is way down, so
I wouldn’t put a whole lot of stock in that unbeaten record. Plus, you have to think there’s a good chance Schoester and Flowers decide to focus on Football.

The Soph class in the GCL is way down, so
I wouldn’t put a whole lot of stock in that unbeaten record. Plus, you have to think there’s a good chance Schoester and Flowers decide to focus on Football.

Who cares about the GCL - it’s one third of your schedule. Sure, you try to win it, but making a deep run in the playoffs is much more important when you have a team that is capable.

Honestly, putting Centerville and a bunch of higher level GMC teams on the schedule next year would help this team more than the GCL games next year.

There are only 5 juniors on the current roster correct? I assume Menninger is part of your count?

If a kid like Menninger gets passed up just because certain families or kids think they’re entitled to a roster spot because they’re football “stars”, that kid, his family, and every freshman and JV basketball family should show up in the AD and Principals office pretty pissed off.

dude you totally miss understood me and went off the rails for nothing. I meant there are 7 kids who dressed last night that are juniors and sophomores. Start with those 7 and add 5-6 JV kids to get to your 12 or 13 man roster.

dude you totally miss understood me and went off the rails for nothing. I meant there are 7 kids who dressed last night that are juniors and sophomores. Start with those 7 and add 5-6 JV kids to get to your 12 or 13 man roster.

Yeah I guess I did jump the gun there assuming you meant the kids that didn’t play.

I’m just saying they’ve just had their best year in a long time because kids put the basketball time in. Even the kids that played football dedicated part of their year to basketball, and training, and open gyms and AAU and other things that make them better. And the program saw the results.

It has to stay that way.

Last edited:
I watched the first half and Centerville looked out of sync and scared. Elder was up by 8 or so, thought they would win it.

I watched the first half and Centerville looked out of sync and scared. Elder was up by 8 or so, thought they would win it.

Agree - but then Centerville realized that heavy ball pressure out front made Elder uncomfortable. Once that adjustment was made, it completely turned the game.

Cupps changed the game with his defense.

I was shocked Centerville didn't pressure like that from the beginning. Cupps is an incredible on ball defender and took Keller completely out of his game. After that Elder tried to let Walker bring it up to help. The other guys on the team just don't handle pressure very well. It was a great season and I look forward to another one next year. My early favorites for next season are Centerville and Fairfield. Elder will also be good but not Centerville good.

I was shocked Centerville didn't pressure like that from the beginning. Cupps is an incredible on ball defender and took Keller completely out of his game. After that Elder tried to let Walker bring it up to help. The other guys on the team just don't handle pressure very well. It was a great season and I look forward to another one next year. My early favorites for next season are Centerville and Fairfield. Elder will also be good but not Centerville good.

I think Elder has a chance to be better next year if Browne takes his game to the next level. He’s a rare stretch 4 that’s not built like a rake.