Elder Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
My problem is when they take players with very little basketball skill and have them go rough people up, and then have the real basketball players sit the bench on JV and watch. That was very evident last year. That's just terrible to watch.
They certainly could have used a tough football player to get rebounds tonight

Last edited:
What would you call it when your rival has 23 offensive rebounds and 2 of your biggest kids have zero?

These smaller JV sophomores are not the answer. Nieman, Harp, Keehan, & Larkins MUST go harder at the glass.

I'm not going to call a kid soft.

You may be right on the second part. It's just a thought and opinion on my part (and others). I would give it a shot, obviously, you wouldn't.

What would you call it?

These smaller JV sophomores are not the answer. Nieman, Harp, Keehan, & Larkins MUST go harder at the glass.
They aren’t doing it now, it’s too late. The failure to box out Thomas off the missed 3 was both a player and coaching issue. Neither group is where they need to be, which goes back to accountability.

You should go back and delete any post related to the rebounding margin tonight and specific players. No reason anyone needs to identified on here.
I don’t agree with calling out individuals, but the 41-21 rebounding margin is a team issue. That’s the biggest reason they lost. That should not be swept under the rug. If people have a problem using team stats in an argument, screw ‘em.

So apparently you can't post what a box score says but you can call players soft. Gotcha.

xxxxxxxx had 4 rebounds
xxxxxxxx had 3 rebounds
xxxxxxxx had 0 rebounds
xxxxxxxx has 2 rebounds

Suit yourself. I don’t think anyone being called out individually by name for lack of performance is appropriate at the high school level.

Yet calling a team soft is fine. Just so we're clear...

So team rebounds is fair game? Just trying to understand PR's forum rules.

Can I say "some teams, especially ones in purple, that start with an E, are soft"...I mean, that's not calling anyone out. That could be anyone.

Or "the kids that don't get rebounds are soft" - that's not calling anyone out (even though it absolutely is).

Difference in the game was Turpins size. Probably blocked 10+ Elder shots. Elder had zero post presence on offense. Elder went up 5 with less than 2 minutes and then melted down the stretch. Soft. Missed free throws and turnovers.

Positives tonight were Luebbe and Keehan who hit big shots. Miller also plays with a fire lacking in some.

I continue to believe Kandra is greatly missed. This game will cost Elder seeding come time for the tournament. Turpin is a good team and will likely only lose a couple games and be a 5 seed. Elder is looking like a 500 team and will be a 10-12 seed again.

Let's refresh everyone's memory:

"Elder has zero post presence on offense" - that's the chickensh*t way of calling out a certain player's performance and it's uncalled for
"Miller also plays with a fire lacking in some" - that's the chickensh*t way of calling multiple players soft and it's uncalled for
"Soft" - you called the team soft - how is that any different than calling a player soft?

At least be consistent.

I said as it relates to specific players. The team box score is obviously fine. I’m talking about your post identifying individual players.
I didn’t call out any individual players. I said they aren’t rebounding well and that’s factual. Nobody on the team rebounds well at this point.

PLEASE answer this question Trey...Who exactly is wasting a year on JV and who should they be playing in front of?

Hilarious!!! The players you wanted on varsity last year, are on varsity this year, and now you already want them benched in favor of the players on the jv this year.
There’s always better players being wasted on JV. Duh.

They've done a good job of putting players in the right spot this year. When you play teams with legit big guys, it might be wise to potentially think of some of the bigger JV players for spot minutes based on what happened against St X. That's all I'm saying, and this really isn't as big of a deal as you're making it. It's a pretty common sense approach.

Not sure why this has caused so much angst.

Likely because it impacts someone you have a personal connection to. Otherwise, why would you care?

The players you wanted on varsity last year, are on varsity this year, and now you already want them benched in favor of the players on the jv this year.

You really don't understand very well. This is the furthest thing from what I've been saying.

I said instead of playing some of the smaller bench players, play some of the bigger JV players for those role minutes in games where the opposing big guys are very good or with decent size. The guard depth is plenty deep. When they play smaller, quicker teams, the guard depth is more important. This isn't controversial. Not sure why you're making a big deal out of it. Time to move on.

I never once said they should take minutes from the top 7 in the rotation.

Last edited:
Sounds like they are missing two players from last season. Royer and Keyes. Both had size and toughness
Good point. I didn’t expect Royer to play, but they could really use Keyes. They need a Bill Lambier type of guy in the front court.

Also think people should ease off Larkins. Lots of innuendo about the post play. He's the only true post player on the roster and has it all on his shoulders. He can't get every rebound.

16-11 E after Q1. Playing more aggressively on Defense, but the shots aren’t falling. Good news is the kids on the broadcast said a Kandra will be back next week.

36-15 E at half. Colerain is a bad team, but E is playing a lot more confident. Maybe it’s bc they expect to beat Colerain? I don’t really know, it’s just easy to spot the complete 180 in body language compared to last night.

E wins 69-38. Keehan with 21. This doesn’t erase concerns from last night, but at least it’s a step in the right direction

Backpeddle backpeddle backpeddle

If this team is going to have the type of season they are capable of having, they have got to get a tougher attitude and effort from their biggest players.

Playing undersized and skinny sophomores currently on JV is not the answer.
Maybe this is the problem. The seniors getting major minutes are Luebbe and Cluxton. The rest are juniors and sophomores, many playing their first real meaningful varsity minutes this year. They're a year away. They'll be a 8-12 seed this year, if they get a favorable draw they can make it back to Dayton.

If you take out the NKU, Badin, Fairfield and Turpin games which he didn't or hardly played, Larkins who is 6'5" is averaging right about 8 rebounds a game playing less than 2/3rds of games. The GCL league leader at 8.5 is Logan Duncomb who is 6'10" and going to play Big 10 basketball on full scholarship somewhere. Larkins is also second in the GCL in blocks ahead of Duncomb. With respect to the Kirch and Busam family, neither of those kids are going to come close to that this year, they haven't finished growing physically or developing as players. They also both give up 30 pounds to Larkins and maybe 15 to Nieman. And have you asked how it goes in practice? Im told they cant score on the varsity! So to bring up Sophomores to play over Nieman and Larkins is probably one of the more ignorant things uttered in this thread this year. Not to mention Kandra joins the team this week.

They had a bad game. Players and coaches. They were pressed early and aggressively and took a while to adjust. They turned it over too easily and too often. That may be a bigger problem than rebounding for this team to be honest. And, yes, they got out rebounded. They also watched an 18% shooting 10 point a game Thomas have the game of his life. So, we were forced to have our taller guys guard him on the perimeter as St X ran 5 out and that killed us because we are undersized to almost everyone at PG, 2G and SF. The coaches didn't adjust to that. How about a 3-2 Zone?? How about you play Larkins and Nieman at the same time!? By the time they decided to start doubling off to help with Thomas, it was too late. And then, Down 8 with 1:40 to go they ran a long set that didn't convert. There are probably 20 things in that game that if they can clean up half of them, despite being out rebounded, we could have won.

"Soft"? This roster has kids that played 5 extra weeks of football and then 12 hours after losing the state final, showed up at NKU to root their team on. Some had to take longer breaks to get their body right and are just now getting going. Some didnt take any time off. Getting on here calling them soft or implying they dont work as hard as the sophomore JV players? Are you serious?

Were we missing three guys we could have used? Yes
Did Elder play their best? No
Was it one person's fault? No.
Can they all do better? Yes.
Was the St X game a harbinger of the rest of the season? No.
Will they probably go 0-2 this coming weekend? Hate to say it but yes. We play the #1 team in D1 and then the #1 team in D2. Elder will give everything Friday. Not sure how much will be left in the tank Saturday.

My bottom line: This team can make a run still. They have a lot of improving yet to do and they have to get healthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: E82
If you take out the NKU, Badin, Fairfield and Turpin games which he didn't or hardly played, Larkins who is 6'5" is averaging right about 8 rebounds a game playing less than 2/3rds of games. The GCL league leader at 8.5 is Logan Duncomb who is 6'10" and going to play Big 10 basketball on full scholarship somewhere. Larkins is also second in the GCL in blocks ahead of Duncomb. With respect to the Kirch and Busam family, neither of those kids are going to come close to that this year, they haven't finished growing physically or developing as players. They also both give up 30 pounds to Larkins and maybe 15 to Nieman. And have you asked how it goes in practice? Im told they cant score on the varsity! So to bring up Sophomores to play over Nieman and Larkins is probably one of the more ignorant things uttered in this thread this year. Not to mention Kandra joins the team this week.

They had a bad game. Players and coaches. They were pressed early and aggressively and took a while to adjust. They turned it over too easily and too often. That may be a bigger problem than rebounding for this team to be honest. And, yes, they got out rebounded. They also watched an 18% shooting 10 point a game Thomas have the game of his life. So, we were forced to have our taller guys guard him on the perimeter as St X ran 5 out and that killed us because we are undersized to almost everyone at PG, 2G and SF. The coaches didn't adjust to that. How about a 3-2 Zone?? How about you play Larkins and Nieman at the same time!? By the time they decided to start doubling off to help with Thomas, it was too late. And then, Down 8 with 1:40 to go they ran a long set that didn't convert. There are probably 20 things in that game that if they can clean up half of them, despite being out rebounded, we could have won.

"Soft"? This roster has kids that played 5 extra weeks of football and then 12 hours after losing the state final, showed up at NKU to root their team on. Some had to take longer breaks to get their body right and are just now getting going. Some didnt take any time off. Getting on here calling them soft or implying they dont work as hard as the sophomore JV players? Are you serious?

Were we missing three guys we could have used? Yes
Did Elder play their best? No
Was it one person's fault? No.
Can they all do better? Yes.
Was the St X game a harbinger of the rest of the season? No.
Will they probably go 0-2 this coming weekend? Hate to say it but yes. We play the #1 team in D1 and then the #1 team in D2. Elder will give everything Friday. Not sure how much will be left in the tank Saturday.

My bottom line: This team can make a run still. They have a lot of improving yet to do and they have to get healthy.
Nobody is saying they should take Larkins minutes, the point was he needs help. He’s the only solid rebounder they have. It’s moot now, bc Kandra will be back this week.

There might’ve been multiple mistakes in the X game but they weren’t all equal contributors to the loss. Getting annihilated on the boards was the biggest reason E lost. If they don’t find a way to become a better rebounding team, they won’t win a game in the GCL and they’ll be out of the tournament very early. I’m not trying to be doom and gloom, but you can’t bury your head in the sand.

Last edited:
Maybe this is the problem. The seniors getting major minutes are Luebbe and Cluxton. The rest are juniors and sophomores, many playing their first real meaningful varsity minutes this year. They're a year away. They'll be a 8-12 seed this year, if they get a favorable draw they can make it back to Dayton.
Losing Merz hurt more than we want to admit. They’re still a yr away from being a threat to make a deep run in the tournament, but you’d like to see them win at least 1 or 2 GCL games and make a respectable tournament run to build towards next yr.

Status
Not open for further replies.