ECC 23-24

This week's slate:

Wednesday
Loveland (3-4) at North Ridgeville (4-1, #160 in OH)

Thursday
Walnut Hills (0-6) vs. Calvary Day School (7-7, #136 in NC)
West Clermont (1-6) at Harrison (4-4, #394 in OH)
Loveland (3-4) at TBD (Herron Holiday Hoops Classic)
Lebanon (4-4) vs. Talawanda (0-8, #777 in OH)
Little Miami (2-5) vs. Monroe (2-4, #466 in OH)
Anderson (4-1) at Elder (6-0, #37 in OH)
Kings (3-4) at True North Classical (6-3, #114 in FL)
Milford (5-3) vs. Sycamore (5-1, #77 in OH)

Friday
Walnut Hills (0-6) vs. Ashley Ridge (7-5, #76 in SC)
Lebanon (4-4) vs. TBD (Vega Holiday Hoops Classic)
Kings (3-4) vs. TBD (Junior Orange Bowl Classic)
Milford (5-3) vs. Ryle (6-5, #100 in KY)

Saturday
Walnut Hills (0-6) vs. Grant County (5-4, #148 in KY)
West Clermont (1-6) at Northwest (4-3, #390 in OH)
Kings (3-4) vs. TBD (Junior Orange Bowl Classic)

Idle: Turpin, Winton Woods

Yes, I watched the game thanks to Gus Baskets. You could tell Little Miami was prepared for this match up! Unfortunately, Chiv's dictatorship style of coaching isn't going to change. I just don't see a lot of buy in right now from all stake holders. Best of luck the rest of the way they should be able to win their holiday tournament they are hosting next week.
It is going to be tough if they’re without Davidson and Hicks.

Walnut Report (L 52-49 vs. West Clermont):
- King was probably the best player when he was out there, but he only played 20ish minutes because of foul trouble and fouled out during our comeback attempt.
- Claxton wasn't very good. Ran into a lot of offensive fouls and didn't do a great job leading the offense. At the end, he was chucking up a bunch of prayer balls. Good from the FT line tho.
- Austin has some spunk (2 steal + dunk combos), but in the most critical moment of the game he missed both his free throws, got a rebound and missed the ensuing layup. He can be better.
- Brock is legit. Needs to start eating into the starters' minutes.
- West Clermont probably could have put this game away easier, but they kept getting in their own way. At one point, they were up 48-41 and got called for a shooting foul and a technical on the same play, which let us back into the game. We never led or tied in the 2nd half.
Brock is legit and it was his first game being cleared from his ankle injury I'd imagine he will be playing a lot more maybe starting soon

After 6 games now, rinse and repeat. I thought they had it figured out with their best team effort at least for q2-q4 vs Kings last week. They gave significant minutes to their younger guys and they were there with Kings with a legit chance to win. Tonight, in their without argument best chance to put up a W all season, you would have thought even more playing time would have been given to those young guys after their prior performance. They reverted back and it cost them. Can’t cook with the same ingredients and expect different quality food. Flip the PT minutes of just the 4 guys that show up in the stat sheet with the starters and WH wins that game. Again, I hope they figure it out because they are staring down a legit shot at 0-22 if they don’t.
They are such a young team with so much potential they need their Seniors King and Claxton to show up and be better King can't foul out and Claxton has to be better all around and stop jacking up so many shots. Brock Richardson Piening Steffregen are good support but the engine will only go as far as the two seniors will take them

Loveland with a massive comeback win vs. North Ridgeville, 74-72. They were down 4 with under a minute left.

Tomorrow they'll take on Brunswick, a Top 40 team in Ohio.

Calvary Day 62, Walnut Hills 59 (OT)
Harrison 52, West Clermont 48 (OT)
Brunswick 82, Loveland 56
Lebanon 78, Talawanda 41
Little Miami 65, Monroe 41
Elder 56, Anderson 39
Kings 74, True North Classical 73
Sycamore 49, Milford 45

Last edited:
Kings advances to the winner's bracket of the Junior Orange Bowl Classic to play St. Andrews Episcopal, who is 7-3 and #7 of 43 teams in DC.

Lebanon advances to the championship game of the Vega Holiday Hoops Classic to play Bishop Fenwick, who is 6-1 (I think?) and ranked top 50 in Ohio.

Final: Ashley Ridge 55, Walnut Hills 52

Man. Furious comeback by a Walnut Hills team that came out of the locker room with their hair on fire, but their two top scorers (Emmit King, 16, and Ty Austin, 14) both fouled out with under 2 to play. Javien Jackson didn't start but caused a ton of havoc, with 8 rebounds and causing several turnovers. Claxton and Stoffregen both had double fouls (tech + shooting), which was a shame because Stoffregen played great in the first half. Claxton didn't have any points until the 4th quarter and ended the game by hucking up a 3 and praying for a foul, because of course he did.

Fenwick beats Lebanon 59-54 (I believe, we left a few second early).

I don’t have the exact stats but Lebanon went down early and ended the first half on what I believe was a 15-4 run only to let Fenwick back in by trying to play keep away instead of running the offense.

At 4-6 now it seems the players, players parents and fans in general are turning on the coaching styles. There were a good amount of frustrated fans and could see the disappointment with players.

The coaching style is hard for players to get any rhythm as they are seemingly constantly subbing and running in my opinion, too deep of a bench and pulling up players from JV that aren’t ready yet.

They both dressed and played tonight, though Spence was in and out quick and probably only totalled 2 minutes. Trey looked full strength.

Lebanon/Fenwick could be a lot of fun.
Sorry I missed this. Both were hurt during the LM game, Hicks seemed like a concussion and Davidson maybe a hip/rib injury.

Both played tonight and looked ok but hicks didn’t shoot much.

My thoughts/breakdown from tonight below.

Fenwick beats Lebanon 59-54 (I believe, we left a few second early).

I don’t have the exact stats but Lebanon went down early and ended the first half on what I believe was a 15-4 run only to let Fenwick back in by trying to play keep away instead of running the offense.

At 4-6 now it seems the players, players parents and fans in general are turning on the coaching styles. There were a good amount of frustrated fans and could see the disappointment with players.

The coaching style is hard for players to get any rhythm as they are seemingly constantly subbing and running in my opinion, too deep of a bench and pulling up players from JV that aren’t ready yet.
56-51

They had a 47-37 lead early in the fourth that evaporated. Once the lead was cut to four, I 'knew'...

Kings tomorrow will go up against Pembroke Pines Charter, the #22 team in Florida with a record of 10-3, in the 3rd place game of the Junior Orange Bowl Classic.

FINAL: Walnut Hills 63, Grant County 55

They finally won! Took them way too many 1-possession losses to do it, but they got there. Walnut changed its starting lineup around, with Claxton and Stoffregen starting the game on the bench. This seemed to invigorate Claxton, as for one day he broke out of his War Criminal self and put up 20 points while adding 3 steals. Ty Austin had another banner day with 20 points and 11 boards, and new starter Javien Jackson added 10 points and 12 rebounds, both building on their good days yesterday. Joey Piening and Braden Upp didn't play at all, and Bryce Richardson's minutes were heavily cut into as he could only manage 3 points and 2 boards.

The glorious indignity of 0-22 is avoided, at least for this year. Walnut will look to keep their momentum going with a home game against... Winton Woods. Yay.

Weekly schedule:

Tuesday
Winton Woods (5-1) at Walnut Hills (1-8)
West Clermont (1-8) at Loveland (4-5)
Kings (4-6) at Milford (6-4)
Lebanon (4-6) at Turpin (5-2)
Anderson (4-2) at Little Miami (4-4)

FINAL: Walnut Hills 63, Grant County 55

They finally won! Took them way too many 1-possession losses to do it, but they got there. Walnut changed its starting lineup around, with Claxton and Stoffregen starting the game on the bench. This seemed to invigorate Claxton, as for one day he broke out of his War Criminal self and put up 20 points while adding 3 steals. Ty Austin had another banner day with 20 points and 11 boards, and new starter Javien Jackson added 10 points and 12 rebounds, both building on their good days yesterday. Joey Piening and Braden Upp didn't play at all, and Bryce Richardson's minutes were heavily cut into as he could only manage 3 points and 2 boards.

The glorious indignity of 0-22 is avoided, at least for this year. Walnut will look to keep their momentum going with a home game against... Winton Woods. Yay.
Javien started the first three games of the season I'd hope they go back to him with how he played in SC for them. Tough test tonight I don't think they win against WW but if they can make it competitive I will take that as a momentum boost with some more winnable games coming up in the conference for them! 2024 I hope my Eagles can SOAR!

Tonight is the return of Sean Harmon & Tyler McKinley to the Nut House. I'm sure they will be motivated to play against their old teammates. Heck McKinley may even turn it on, as it seems as if he only gets really engaged in the more competitive games, ie the Kings game (27&10). I worry him coming back to the ECC will stunt his growth as a player.

MaxPreps rankings 01/02/2024:

#39 Winton Woods (+17.48)
#99 Turpin (+12.68)
#142 Milford (+10.84)
#222 Anderson (+7.89)
#227 Loveland (+7.64)
#254 Little Miami (+6.62)
#271 Kings (+5.71)
#401 Lebanon (+1.69) (Fenwick loss not factored in)
#646 Walnut Hills (-7.45)
#651 West Clermont (-7.71)

Implied lines for tonight's games:
Winton Woods @ Walnut Hills: WW -22.0
West Clermont @ Loveland: LOVE -18.5
Kings @ Milford: MIL -8.0
Lebanon @ Turpin: TURP -13.0
Anderson @ Little Miami: LM -2.0

According to the one incredibly choppy livestream I saw, Walnut led WW 15-11 at the end of one.

Nuthouse is PACKED.

At the half, Walnut has a 28-22 lead over the top team in the ECC. (No specifics, because choppyvision).

Would be a massive, season-defining win if they can pull it off.