ECC 23-24

Ok, I think I need to revise some of my bold talk about twenty point scorers. Looking at the ECC site, it’s been 8 years since anyone has done it. Is this crop of ECC-ers really that much different than the last 8 classes?

For Clarke, I think there are just too many perimeter scorers on that team for him to get enough shots. A lot of what he likes to do reminds me of what Hardeweig liked to do, and I think he’ll have similar numbers the next two years.

For Thompson, I think he’s got a better chance because of all the easy buckets he’s going to get around the rim, as well as his ability to hit threes, but as was said yesterday, does the coaching staff prevent him from getting there? I think he winds up around 18-19. If he plays 4 years at Lebanon, I think he’ll be the next to do it.

McKinley scored 17 as a sophomore at WH, so maybe? But as a big mostly reliant on his guards, I think it’s a tall order. I think he battles Thompson for the scoring title but doesn’t get to 20.

Anyone else have a shot? O’Toole is averaging 32 for Milford. Is he on anyone’s radar or is that a one-off?
Tyler will avg 20
Shea will avg 18-20
Tommy will avg around 20
Ant will be around 17-20
Cj Claxton will be in the 15-20 range
Sean Harmon will be in the 14-20 range
Elisha jones will be in the 15-20 range
Gavin Dalen maybe in that 14-20 range as well haven't seen them play just yet

FINAL: Little Miami 68, Walnut Hills 54

Walnut's offense ran through C. J. Claxton (19 pts) and Emmit King (15 pts) however King couldn't keep himself out of foul trouble and only played 3-4 minutes in the second half before fouling out. On the other side, Walnut had no answer for Little Miami's bigs Carter Sellers (13 pts) and Jacob Gearhart (5 pts) both of whom are 3 inches taller than anyone on Walnut's roster. Elisha Jones led the Panthers in scoring with 20 points, with 17 coming in the second half. Little Miami played 9 men deep, all of whom scored at least once. Walnut played 10 men deep, but only 7 of them scored, and only 4 reached the 5-point threshold (Little Miami had 7 men reach 5).
Cj and Emmitt will be Walnut's 1-2 punch I did see they had a kid about 6'7 on their bench in a sweatsuit talked to some of my guys over there he will be playing second half of the season (injury)

little miami-loveland
turpin-walnut
lebanon-west clermont
milford-winton woods [wed]

thoughts on the slate.

FINAL: Turpin 54, Walnut Hills 39

Didn't watch this one, but saw the box score on the ECC website. Claxton had 16, King had 8, and nobody else had more than 5. Claxton and King attempted almost 60% of the team's total shots. The lack of any consistent scoring threats beyond Claxton and King, combined with their tendencies to get into foul trouble, is going to doom this team if that problem doesn't get fixed.

FINAL: Turpin 54, Walnut Hills 39

Didn't watch this one, but saw the box score on the ECC website. Claxton had 16, King had 8, and nobody else had more than 5. Claxton and King attempted almost 60% of the team's total shots. The lack of any consistent scoring threats beyond Claxton and King, combined with their tendencies to get into foul trouble, is going to doom this team if that problem doesn't get fixed.
I was there neither were in foul trouble last night the fouls they both had came towards the end they caused a lot of turnovers and got Shea in foul trouble they could not capitalize on it, unfortunately I think my Eagles are in trouble unless they can find another scoring option.

Anybody catch WW/Milford? That seems like a statement win for the Warriors. I’d say they’re firmly in the favorite spot after one week’s worth of games.

Anybody catch WW/Milford? That seems like a statement win for the Warriors. I’d say they’re firmly in the favorite spot after one week’s worth of games.
I would hope they are the favorite in the ECC when they have one of the top players in the state.

They were the favorite from jump honestly but I wonder if Milford was that bad or if the Warriors were just that good defensively disappointed to see Gavin Dalen only shot 5 times

They were the favorite from jump honestly but I wonder if Milford was that bad or if the Warriors were just that good defensively disappointed to see Gavin Dalen only shot 5 times
I would assume the big fella was the main reason for Dalen not getting his shots up.

Kings has got to deal with them tomorrow. I can't wait. Seems like Kings's only choice is to throw five guards out there, give McKinley nobody to guard, make him chase quick guys around, hopefully get him in foul trouble, hope you are hot from three, and take your lumps on the other end, because they have nobody ready to battle him down low. Of course if they were to actually have any success that way, McKinley in the middle of a zone could be a scary thing... I'm hoping the Knights figure out a way to keep it competitive.

I would assume the big fella was the main reason for Dalen not getting his shots up.

Kings has got to deal with them tomorrow. I can't wait. Seems like Kings's only choice is to throw five guards out there, give McKinley nobody to guard, make him chase quick guys around, hopefully get him in foul trouble, hope you are hot from three, and take your lumps on the other end, because they have nobody ready to battle him down low. Of course if they were to actually have any success that way, McKinley in the middle of a zone could be a scary thing... I'm hoping the Knights figure out a way to keep it competitive.
They have the big kid who I imagine will play alot to guard Tyler but Tyler can guard on the perimeter and Kings doesn't have a 4th or 5th guard that would make him "HAVE" to guard, I think Kato will guard tyler and they try to make him be physical and see if it wears him down

They have the big kid who I imagine will play alot to guard Tyler but Tyler can guard on the perimeter and Kings doesn't have a 4th or 5th guard that would make him "HAVE" to guard, I think Kato will guard tyler and they try to make him be physical and see if it wears him down
Yeah, I think Kato will get most of the minutes because he has to be respected out to the three point line, and can in theory pull McKinley away from the basket. I also wouldn’t mind seeing Jacob Ellison out there, who’s 6’5” but functionally more like a guard than a center. He’s a really good shooter, but of course he’ll most likely get bulldozed defensively. It’s going to be a rough night for anyone guarding McKinley. Come to think of it, Kings is probably the team who ought to play some zone.

Whoever plays the 5 needs to move. The offense tends to have the big just standing at the at the free throw line as the ball moves back and forth around the three point line. You’ve got to give McKinley more to do than that.

Yeah, I think Kato will get most of the minutes because he has to be respected out to the three point line, and can in theory pull McKinley away from the basket. I also wouldn’t mind seeing Jacob Ellison out there, who’s 6’5” but functionally more like a guard than a center. He’s a really good shooter, but of course he’ll most likely get bulldozed defensively. It’s going to be a rough night for anyone guarding McKinley. Come to think of it, Kings is probably the team who ought to play some zone.

Whoever plays the 5 needs to move. The offense tends to have the big just standing at the at the free throw line as the ball moves back and forth around the three point line. You’ve got to give McKinley more to do than that.
I didn't get to see yesterday but I know at Walnut he was used at the top of the press so I am interested to see if WW will use him similar to that on defense

Friday slate:
Winton Woods (1-0) at Kings (1-1)
West Clermont (0-2) at Anderson (0-0)
Walnut Hills (0-2) at Lebanon (1-2)
Turpin (2-0) at Loveland (0-2)
Little Miami (2-0) at Milford (1-1)

Friday slate:
Winton Woods (1-0) at Kings (1-1)
West Clermont (0-2) at Anderson (0-0)
Walnut Hills (0-2) at Lebanon (1-2)
Turpin (2-0) at Loveland (0-2)
Little Miami (2-0) at Milford (1-1)
ww
anderson
lebanon
turpin
milford

dont wanna over react to one game but ww beating milford by 30 makes ww the clear leauge favorite imo
dunno about anderson but wc still has some growing pains
lebanon is good walnut is bad...
turpin is good loveland is bad...
milford size too much for little miami

ww
anderson
lebanon
turpin
milford

dont wanna over react to one game but ww beating milford by 30 makes ww the clear leauge favorite imo
dunno about anderson but wc still has some growing pains
lebanon is good walnut is bad...
turpin is good loveland is bad...
milford size too much for little miami
WW - Simply they are the best team in the conference with the best player in the conference I don't think they sweep the conference but I do think this is one of the biggest chances for them to take a loss don't be surprised if Tommy Clark and Company win this game
WC - Think WC can catch Anderson in their first game while WC is in swing for the season already
WH - A lot better than their record, their second option is still not back from injury (might be playing tonight) both teams are in need of a win I think my Eagles will pull thru tonight
Turpin - Way better than anticipated Shea and company are going to be a tough scrappy team
Milford - If Gavin Dalen doesn't shoot more than 6 times Milford will not win this game

Well, I guess I’m gonna see if my strategy works, because the bug kid for Kings is sidelined with his foot in a boot. ☹️ Also, Nate Lyman’s wearing a protective mask. And #10’s in warmups. Rough week of practice….

Warriors pull it out by 2, although Kings hit a three at the buzzer. One of the best high school games I’ve seen. Tommy was maginificent with 28, and did everything. Sean Harmon was also amazing with 24. He looks and plays like a mini Jimmy Butler. Talan Noyes had 25 despite missing the whole second quarter with a busted open chin. McKinley started slow but totally dominated the fourth and was the difference with 25.

67-30 Lebanon over walnut hills after a chippy third quarter where walnut hills 14 tried to fight the Lebanon coaches on the bench 😂

Warriors pull it out by 2, although Kings hit a three at the buzzer. One of the best high school games I’ve seen. Tommy was maginificent with 28, and did everything. Sean Harmon was also amazing with 24. He looks and plays like a mini Jimmy Butler. Talan Noyes had 25 despite missing the whole second quarter with a busted open chin. McKinley started slow but totally dominated the fourth and was the difference with 25.
When we watched Tommy here at Lebanon he impressed us as well. Seem to be a very solid team

67-30 Lebanon over walnut hills after a chippy third quarter where walnut hills 14 tried to fight the Lebanon coaches on the bench 😂
Austin had to experience being the best player on the 0-10 football team and now he's gonna be a starter on an 0-20 basketball team, I don't blame him