Dusty Baker it is.

As a reds fan, I think this is a great hire. Good track record, and he was actually willing to come to Cincinnati. I think he will do a great job.

OK. Dusty may not have been my first choice, but everyone's big criticism of the Reds' managerial hires in the past few years was that they didn't go outside the organization for their candidates. Now they go outside the organization and they still get second-guessed. Dusty Baker has a winning record, he has won over 1100 games as a manager, he is a three-time NL Manager of the year, he's gotten to the NLCS and the World Series. His teams have finished first or second in 9 of his 14 years as manager. Players want to play for him. In other words, Dusty is everything the last few Reds managers weren't. So give the guy a break and let's see what he can do.

In todays DDN baker is quoted as saying he has been "contacted by a number of players already who want to come to play in Cincinnati." Is anyone willing to venture a guess as to who some of these players might be?

Also reported in the DDN Castellini and Baker both want Dunn back for his option year. Castellinin is ready to pay him the 13 Mil he would be owed for the Reds taking him. Is that good or not?

In todays DDN baker is quoted as saying he has been "contacted by a number of players already who want to come to play in Cincinnati." Is anyone willing to venture a guess as to who some of these players might be?

Also reported in the DDN Castellini and Baker both want Dunn back for his option year. Castellinin is ready to pay him the 13 Mil he would be owed for the Reds taking him. Is that good or not?
If I were a player, I'd want to play for Dusty Baker, too. You can do whatever you want without fear of discipline, you can be lazy, you don't have to try hard, and you'll still get to play everyday!

Pretty sure recently has now bumped two threads in the last day that were dormant for a combined 13 years. Impressive.

Lol ToK looks funny here.

How so? My biggest point was that he sticks with crappy players way too long, citing his Todd Hollandsworth blind spot. Could we not turn around in 2012 and sub in the names Willy Taveras, Corey Patterson, Drew Stubbs and pretty soon Scott Rolen as soon as Votto returns?

The Reds have two winning seasons in Dusty's five and to this point zero playoff wins.

What's funny is how predictable your positions are.

Aside from that, the idea of Baker ruining arms is a pretty silly notion cooked up by bitter Cubs fans and saber nerds.

The bottom line is that Dusty Baker should and will be fired if the Reds don't win a playoff series this year.

This thread shows that from his hire date, I was the only one identifying the touchstone issue of an unyielding loyalty to washed-up or flat-out bad players. The same way that I was the only one capable of identifying the 2012 AL Central as the White Sox's division to take. See page 20 of the Indians thread for all the flawed replies including your own.