Drone Light Shows

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Anyone ever see one in person? Will this accent future fireworks shows? Will this replace fireworks displays?

Geeks are typically safer than gunpowder. Has potential, and I'd rather see them writing code for that^ than trying to hack my stuff to supplement unemployment.

Looking forward to it. I suspect it would actually be cheaper in the longrun because you can reuse the equipment.

I’d expect so. I don’t necessarily think this would replace fireworks, though. Like e_p, I really appreciate the explosive aspect. The sound and the concussive force in the air are definitely part of the experience.

I’d expect so. I don’t necessarily think this would replace fireworks, though. Like e_p, I really appreciate the explosive aspect. The sound and the concussive force in the air are definitely part of the experience.
Agreed. I'm wondering at some point if they will be used together. Not sure the safe distance they would need to be from each other and whether they could be in the same line of site, but it would be pretty cool.

Not to get TOO geeky but the Math has been there waiting for the computers to catch-up. It's been used in wide aperature and conformal mapping for Sonar for about 3 decades. Essentially a series of 4-D (space-movement) time delays that lets the shape of the ship or boat emulate and enlarge the parabolics needed. Sonar being low data rate, it was implementable. I used Cinci GE's Cray XMP (the equivalent computing power of a Nintendo 64 I think, lol) to run the simulations to get it to real-time.

This? Think of face recognition in reverse. Add movement. Add real time but probably at a lot fewer data points. Not sure how many markers they use in lap-top type face recognition compared to the number of drones in the videos. Sometimes, I miss Engineering.

To me it is a similar debate to digital vs. analog recorded music. This drone thing is like digital music, it has precision and defined elements where as fireworks are like analog music, they are organic and feel like there is a "uniqueness" to the event. Drones are OK and fill a need but nothing is better or more exciting than a top notch fireworks show.

If I hope to have peace, I have to admit I'm puzzeled and hope to be pulled out of the dizzy. I've scanned my post and scanned it and cannot find a double-entrendre, an admission of perversion...

What did you think you saw there?

Lol - it wasn't THAT deep. I saw the word "Cray" which impressed me and blinded my eyes to the Nintendo 64 bit. D) A bit of facetiousness, but still a lot of truth in that jest. I remember learning about Crays back in 1980-1981 in computer science courses at OSU. These days it's hard to imagine 1970's or 1980's technology being surpassed by today's everyday gadgets - but then we read how much computing power today's smartphones have compared to what we would view as a supercomputer then. ( I'm guessing today's Crays are still mega-monsters by comparison)

My boss used to subscribe to Government Computer News, not sure if that's still around. But I remember to this day, a breathless review of the latest processing chip, and one of the sentences read "There are even reports of 180 meg 'screamers' being developed for release next years", so you can probably guess about what year I read that.

Last edited: