Draft Storylines

brianwr112

Oklahoma QB Kyle Murray get's drafted by Oakland at #9. The slot pays $4,761,500. The money's guaranteed as long as he signs but the contract may include wording to not pay the full amount if he's injured playing football this coming fall. The Sooners are expecting him to compete for the starting job. What do you do and do you owe the football program anything?

Luke Heimlich (Oregon State) is arguably one of the top pitchers in the country with a 15-1 record for the #2 ranked Beavers. He's twice won the Conference Pitcher of the Year. He also plead guilty for molesting a pre-school age relative when he was 16 years old. The details of the case are hidden because of the age of those involved. The news came out just prior to the draft last year and nobody touched him. Many thought he was a Top 5 round guy if not Day One. Would you be upset if your team took him knowing there was a decent chance they get him cheap and he could have a winning impact on the team? Morally I wouldn't want him to step on the field in GABP. Realistically I know many Cincy fans cheered when the Bengals drafted Mixon.

Normally teams take a relative from a previous star on said team in the final rounds knowing the player won't sign and it's just a gesture of appreciation. David Weathers son was picked #7 overall and Jeff Conine's son was picked #52 overall. I now feel old...Good Night

Oklahoma QB Kyle Murray get's drafted by Oakland at #9. The slot pays $4,761,500. The money's guaranteed as long as he signs but the contract may include wording to not pay the full amount if he's injured playing football this coming fall. The Sooners are expecting him to compete for the starting job. What do you do and do you owe the football program anything?

Luke Heimlich (Oregon State) is arguably one of the top pitchers in the country with a 15-1 record for the #2 ranked Beavers. He's twice won the Conference Pitcher of the Year. He also plead guilty for molesting a pre-school age relative when he was 16 years old. The details of the case are hidden because of the age of those involved. The news came out just prior to the draft last year and nobody touched him. Many thought he was a Top 5 round guy if not Day One. Would you be upset if your team took him knowing there was a decent chance they get him cheap and he could have a winning impact on the team? Morally I wouldn't want him to step on the field in GABP. Realistically I know many Cincy fans cheered when the Bengals drafted Mixon.

Normally teams take a relative from a previous star on said team in the final rounds knowing the player won't sign and it's just a gesture of appreciation. David Weathers son was picked #7 overall and Jeff Conine's son was picked #52 overall. I now feel old...Good Night

16 is old enough to know better. F**k that guy. He should’ve never been able to play College Baseball. He should be in Federal prison.

Well you have to commit a Federal crime to go to Federal Prison but I understand your point. I hope he's nowhere remotely on the Reds board but I have a feeling someone will take him.

I don't know if there's been some type of agreement within the family that was made not to talk about details but this whole thing has been pretty strange. I mean how does Oregon State have a guy that has to report where he lives and nobody knows? Also 16 was when he plead guilty, nobody really knows when the crime took place (not that it matters if it's within that age range).

Well you have to commit a Federal crime to go to Federal Prison but I understand your point. I hope he's nowhere remotely on the Reds board but I have a feeling someone will take him.

I don't know if there's been some type of agreement within the family that was made not to talk about details but this whole thing has been pretty strange. I mean how does Oregon State have a guy that has to report where he lives and nobody knows? Also 16 was when he plead guilty, nobody really knows when the crime took place (not that it matters if it's within that age range).

He only got caught last yr bc he didn’t register as a Sex Offender in the state of Oregon. I know ppl make mistakes at that age, but that usually involves getting caught w/ a joint or skipping school, not raping a 5 yr old.

I'm in no way trying to condone his actions. It just amazes me how such a high profile athlete kept it quiet as long as he did. I'm sure someone in the community he grew up in knew. In todays world kids normally put that stuff all over social media even if the accusations aren't true. Whole things just odd.

Whole thing is odd.

http://angrybeavs.com/baseball/13884
The timeline in the article is of importance if accurate.

Sounds like the "story" wasnt straight at the very least and could have been a ploy to win a court battle. But why would you tell your 16 y/o son to plead guilty if he didnt do it.

Whole thing is odd.

http://angrybeavs.com/baseball/13884
The timeline in the article is of importance if accurate.

Sounds like the "story" wasnt straight at the very least and could have been a ploy to win a court battle. But why would you tell your 16 y/o son to plead guilty if he didnt do it.

That’s my feeling. It’s not like this is a he said-she said hookup gone awry. Either he touched her or he didn’t. If he didn’t touch her, his parents and lawyers are the worst ppl alive for convincing him to plead guilty. However, it seems likely he did something he wasn’t supposed to.

Not exactly, juvenile courts are much different than adult courts. From my experience in the court rooms the judges often take the Forensic Psychologist report/testimony as gold. In a case of he said/she said...the victim definitely has the advantage.

Also there's the belief that it will be sealed from your record after a certain amount of time. Normal checks don't include the search of juvenile records so the likely hood of others finding out is slim if they don't already know.

In this case he plead to a count that didn't call for jail time. As long as he went to counseling and followed his probation the whole thing would be wiped in a few years. By all accounts he met his obligations.

Now if you're looking at years of time in jail, and a lifetime of registering as a sexual offender or probation and and 5 years of low tier reporting, what would you chose? Remember it's all up to one person tasked to decide who she believes more because there's not physical evidence...

Also he went 8 2/3 tonight giving up one run while striking out 9.

Not exactly, juvenile courts are much different than adult courts. From my experience in the court rooms the judges often take the Forensic Psychologist report/testimony as gold. In a case of he said/she said...the victim definitely has the advantage.

Also there's the belief that it will be sealed from your record after a certain amount of time. Normal checks don't include the search of juvenile records so the likely hood of others finding out is slim if they don't already know.

In this case he plead to a count that didn't call for jail time. As long as he went to counseling and followed his probation the whole thing would be wiped in a few years. By all accounts he met his obligations.

Now if you're looking at years of time in jail, and a lifetime of registering as a sexual offender or probation and and 5 years of low tier reporting, what would you chose? Remember it's all up to one person tasked to decide who she believes more because there's not physical evidence...

Also he went 8 2/3 tonight giving up one run while striking out 9.

Wouldn’t they be able to test if there was abuse? Not to be graphic, but if the girl’s genitalia were touched, I imagine there would be signs of stretching or tearing. Sorry, but if it were me at that age, I’d still be cognizant enough to do everything to protect my name.

Is his brother still close to him? (The father of the child) if so that may lead me to believe maybe it didnt happen but idk

Is his brother still close to him? (The father of the child) if so that may lead me to believe maybe it didnt happen but idk

They don’t say, but that’s a good point. The counter argument has always been the mother of the child was going through a bitter custody battle and had the girl lie. TBH, I find that very hard to believe. IMO, if she were lying, she’d keep quiet on the issue. Instead, she’s been pretty vocal about her disgust.

They can test but from what I've read, it wasn't reported to the mother until a later time...during the custody battle. With no physical evidence you're just going by the child's story, which she apparently no longer remembers.

The SI article says the brothers no longer talk but as part of the agreement Luke couldn't be around the child. Luke says the best part of him going away for college was that the girl could now go to see her grandparents whenever she wanted. The article also said the brother keeps track of Luke via their parents and has gone to watch him pitch but they haven't met before or afterwards.

They can test but from what I've read, it wasn't reported to the mother until a later time...during the custody battle. With no physical evidence you're just going by the child's story, which she apparently no longer remembers.

The SI article says the brothers no longer talk but as part of the agreement Luke couldn't be around the child. Luke says the best part of him going away for college was that the girl could now go to see her grandparents whenever she wanted. The article also said the brother keeps track of Luke via their parents and has gone to watch him pitch but they haven't met before or afterwards.

The child not remembering the story isn’t surprising, that happpens a lot with kids experiencing trauma. A lot of the times, they just force themselves to forget as a coping mechanism.

The relationship w/ the brother is makes me think he’s guilty. I understand he can’t be near the kid, but they can’t talk on the phone?

I wouldn't dig too deep into the two brothers relationship since the court portion of their lifetime. Luke made an admission in writing that he'd done wrong. Outside of that, he's always maintained his innocence. He's stuck by his story that it was the best thing for the family. The brother's in a no win situation. If he backs Luke then his ex would use it against him in custody hearings in an attempt to prove he's not fit to have custody. If the claims are actually true, his daughter would later read that he didn't believe her side.

Unfortunately, I dealt with a lot of cases involving children over the course of my career. And gut reaction is that I'd love to take the punishment into my own hands for the kids that couldn't protect themselves. In those times there was often physical evidence to prove the case. In this case there wasn't. Doesn't mean it didn't happen though by any means.

In terms of the victim not remembering the incident...if it did happen then I do hope she's been able to wipe it from her memory forever. That she can forever live her life with that memory wiped from her brain. That she doesn't deal with the depression and guilt so many victims deal with.

India's looked really good the entire postseason. I was watching this game live and couldn't believe the ending. Then I look up the involved player and he's listed as a freshman catcher. Lucky for him that school should be out when Auburn get's back. His summer team will harass him a bit but by the time he get's back on campus it'll be football season.