Dover Tornadoes Football 2022

How good will the Dover Tornadoes be in 2022 who will there Quarterback and what does the schedule look like
Week
1 - A Mentor Lake Catholic
2 - BYE
3 - H Indian Valley
4 - BYE
5 - BYE
6 - BYE
7 - H Canfield ***
8 - BYE
9 - A Linsly (WV)
10 - A New Philadelphia
*** This was week 2 originally, not sure if this is correct or not as Canfield had Fitch originally penciled in for week 7

At the moment Dover has a lot of holes to fill on the schedule it appears. Canfield is in a similar boat with 2 or 3 BYE/OPEN weeks as well.

Week
1 - A Mentor Lake Catholic
2 - BYE
3 - H Indian Valley
4 - BYE
5 - BYE
6 - BYE
7 - H Canfield ***
8 - BYE
9 - A Linsly (WV)
10 - A New Philadelphia
*** This was week 2 originally, not sure if this is correct or not as Canfield had Fitch originally penciled in for week 7

At the moment Dover has a lot of holes to fill on the schedule it appears. Canfield is in a similar boat with 2 or 3 BYE/OPEN weeks as well.
Arbiter has not Linsly on the schedule

Is Steubenville not on the schedule?
I would expect they will eventually fill one of the open dates.
At the moment it seems like there is a lack of clarity for a lot of schedules. There is some confusion with Canfield's schedule as well.

I expect Steubenville to be on the schedule probably just don’t know what week yet. Last I heard the teams dropped are Marietta,Warren and Strongsville
I count 10 starters,some were 2 way returning plus 2 that played about half the snaps as the alternated,plus the kicker returns. It is a good nucleus returning and the reserve team was unbeaten in a shortened schedule but they played the stronger teams.

Last edited:
How good will the Dover Tornadoes be in 2022 who will there Quarterback and what does the schedule look like
Hamm will be the QB I’m sure. He’s head and shoulders better than this year’s Jv qb. I’d expect Bruno to take over in 2023 as well. I don’t see last year’s JV qb starting varsity, at least as a QB.

Dover and Steubenville should be played every year. It seems like their is mutual respect between both programs and fans. It would be cool if Dover Steubenville NP and other teams would make a league to be in.

Dover and Steubenville should be played every year. It seems like their is mutual respect between both programs and fans. It would be cool if Dover Steubenville NP and other teams would make a league to be in.

This almost happened ten years ago when Steubenville expressed interest, then received an invite to the ECOL. Ultimately they changed their mind and voted to stay independent.

I heard from a coach from an occ school (not Phila) that one of the schools is looking to leave and dover will be invited to take their spot.

My guess is Lexington or Mt Vernon is looking to leave. Hopefully this happens sooner rather than later, so Dover won’t be independent for too long.

My guess is Lexington or Mt Vernon is looking to leave. Hopefully this happens sooner rather than later, so Dover won’t be independent for too long.
Lexington is not leaving the league they wanted to go to added 8 school so that over and they really don’t have any other options. Mt. Vernon maybe but to go back to Ohio capital conference not likely only other option for them licking valley league. So I will go out and say it will be a long while before Dover would have a chance to join OCC

Lexington is not leaving the league they wanted to go to added 8 school so that over and they really don’t have any other options. Mt. Vernon maybe but to go back to Ohio capital conference not likely only other option for them licking valley league. So I will go out and say it will be a long while before Dover would have a chance to join OCC

Gotcha. Personally I hope Dover joins up with the Stark county schools, but something is better than nothing. If it’s not happening soon, they should not wait for the OCC.

I’m not against Dover joining. In my opinion they should add Dover and Louisville now and go to 10 but the schools out west don’t want to drive this Far East that often

I’m not against Dover joining. In my opinion they should add Dover and Louisville now and go to 10 but the schools out west don’t want to drive this Far East that often

I like that too, but that would be a very wide geography, as you mentioned. On the other hand, it would likely result in East/West divisions, which would hopefully limit travel.

The rumblings I've been hearing (VERY much to be taken with a grain of salt at this point) is that Mount Vernon could be headed to the large (Buckeye) division of the Licking County League, as that league is currently at 11. I would imagine if that happened, Dover would be invited to the Ohio Cardinal as their replacement in a heartbeat. That league would need an 8th, and Dover needs a home, now that Marietta and Vincent Warren just announced the new league they're forming.

As for the regular season Saturday question, Dover played their first game of the season at home on Saturday from 1973-1979, and again from 1982-1984. They also played Coshocton home in week 4 of 1974 and Carrollton home in week 3 of 1992 (a weather postponement). As for road games, they played at Mansfield Madison on Saturdays in 1972, '74, and '76 (that field did not have lights at the time), and at Canton Central Catholic in 1989 (who usually opted to play Saturday nights at home). They also played at Wooster in week 3 of 2019 in an 11am start.

The rumblings I've been hearing (VERY much to be taken with a grain of salt at this point) is that Mount Vernon could be headed to the large (Buckeye) division of the Licking County League, as that league is currently at 11. I would imagine if that happened, Dover would be invited to the Ohio Cardinal as their replacement in a heartbeat. That league would need an 8th, and Dover needs a home, now that Marietta and Vincent Warren just announced the new league they're forming.

As for the regular season Saturday question, Dover played their first game of the season at home on Saturday from 1973-1979, and again from 1982-1984. They also played Coshocton home in week 4 of 1974 and Carrollton home in week 3 of 1992 (a weather postponement). As for road games, they played at Mansfield Madison on Saturdays in 1972, '74, and '76 (that field did not have lights at the time), and at Canton Central Catholic in 1989 (who usually opted to play Saturday nights at home). They also played at Wooster in week 3 of 2019 in an 11am start.

What new league are you referring to for Marietta and Warren? I couldn’t find anything when searching. Regardless, I do believe the ECOL is officially disbanding after this year making Dover independent for 2022-2023 school year (technically they’re a member of the OVAC).

Edit: nevermind, found it:

What about a football only conference, due to miles, of the following teams:
Steubenville, Dover, Louisville, Canfield, Boardman, Fitch, Harding

Dover to the OCC even if Mt. Vernon leaves is not guarantee unless they had agreement with new Philadelphia whem they joined and they would take Dover first if someone else leaves. This discussion about East and west divisions have come up so many times. mansfield Ashland some schools don’t want to drive 1:30 for games

When was the last time that Dover played football on a Saturday night in the regular season
The 2002 game with canton central Catholic was suspended (weather) and played on Saturday. The game was a dandy with Dover scoring on a long final play of the game to get the win.

Red-Lep is this something that you heard, or just a thought??
It would never fly because Canfield would not want to play Harding and Fitch every year, Big Red would not want that many away games and Louisville thinks they are in the Fed.

This isn’t Louisville in the 90s or early 2000s. They simply could not compete in that league.
Since 2019 they play 5 Fed games and this year they added Steubenville. If you play that kind of schedule you might as well be in a league like the one I suggested so the kids are playing for a title and would know who they are playing every year. BTW the other 4 OOC games should be against the smallest teams they could find.
> Or kick out the 3 D2 schools and have a 4 team league of Dover, Steubenville Louisville and Canfield until something else comes along for them.

Since 2019 they play 5 Fed games and this year they added Steubenville. If you play that kind of schedule you might as well be in a league like the one I suggested so the kids are playing for a title and would know who they are playing every year. BTW the other 4 OOC games should be against the smallest teams they could find.
> Or kick out the 3 D2 schools and have a 4 team league of Dover, Steubenville Louisville and Canfield until something else comes along for them.
I agree with you in that they need to be in a league for the reasons you suggested. Looking at Louisvilles schedule over the last few years, they have done a poor job of scheduling. Most independent teams play 2-3 cupcakes. Lousiville does not really have any.

I agree with you in that they need to be in a league for the reasons you suggested. Looking at Louisvilles schedule over the last few years, they have done a poor job of scheduling. Most independent teams play 2-3 cupcakes. Lousiville does not really have any.
Louisville is now the cupcake on everyone else's schedule ????

Heard during broadcast of last nights basketball game that Dover has 4 openings on the football schedule Warren,Marietta and Strongsville, I was surprised to hear Akron East dropped Dover,that was a really good series with the biggest margin being 14 points last year. Speculation is that Dover will try to schedule teams in the OVAC so they can be eligible for league tournaments and titles for sports without a tournament.