Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

I never saw"The Exorcist".

I just saw the latest incarnation of ", When a Stranger Calls". It scared me even though I knew what was coming!

"Have you checked the children?"

My daughter insists that I watch House On Haunted Hill with her every year. We did Sat. night. It scarred and scared me for decades. It receives a very high score on Rotten Tomatoes for doing what it does so very well. Funny, it's a 75 minute movie.

(Go see Judy.)

I never saw"The Exorcist".

I just saw the latest incarnation of ", When a Stranger Calls". It scared me even though I knew what was coming!

"Have you checked the children?"

I've never seen "The Exorcist" either, but I have an experience that involves the case. About 20 years ago, I was attending a basketball practice on the campus of Saint Louis University at the "Blue Gym" (an older gym on campus). After the practice while leaving the gym, our SLU host told us that DuBourg Hall (where the exorcism supposedly occurred) was right across a narrow driveway from our location. The SLU host continued to say that the room where the exorcism supposedly occurred is permanently boarded up. Whether this story is true or just urban legend, our traveling group didn't take any chances. We exited the "Blue Gym" and stayed on our side of the drive not wanting to get anywhere near the location of the alleged exorcism. Whether this account of the exorcism is true or not, it was a little creepy hearing it while being at that location.

ROCK ON!

Good call on both counts. I miss trick or treat with our kiddos grown and I miss being in town to hand out treats.

Our daughter went as a clown about 25 years ago and Upper had a wet 4 inch snow fall. She came home with her make up all smeared frozen to death. We were out about 40 minutes. I loved walking along and doing this each year. Given out kids' relative ages we were able to go for around 15 years.

Bucks look very, very good. I like Urb being gone as he was usually bigger than the game - but thanks for the recruits!

Speaking of clowns, saw Joker last night. Excellent and disturbing. Phoenix wins all the awards. But Diva - see the other "J" movie and skip this one

Former Brown all-pro corner back Bernie Parish, one of the first and more out spoken of the early player advocates for players' rights has passed away at the age of 83. His father-in-law, Dr Congleton, was my English grammar teacher at the then Findlay College. Had him my last quarter, spring of '74. Tough.

Last edited:
Former Brown all-pro corner back Bernie Parish, one of the first and more out spoken of the early player advocates for players' rights has passed away at the age of 83. His father-in-law, Dr Congleton, was my English grammas teacher at the then Findlay College. Had him my last quarter, spring of '74. Tough.

Sad to hear that another old Brown has passed away. I think that back in those days, I knew the uniform number of almost all the Brownies.
RIP Bernie Parrish!

Here's a great photo! It's 5-year old Tiger Woods after playing a few Par 3 holes with Sam Snead. As you probably know, Tiger tied Sammy's career PGA win record (82):

ROCK ON!

I looked under Amazon for Parrish's book, They Call It A Game. Never read it - it received very positive reviews. May have to get around to it; almost 50 years after the fact.

OWK - I was the same way about those Browns' teams. Local carry out gave out individual player's pictures (8 by 12's) the year after they won it all. I had them all. Now, - all gone!

Sad to hear that another old Brown has passed away. I think that back in those days, I knew the uniform number of almost all the Brownies.
RIP Bernie Parrish!
I can still hear Ken Coleman announcing the starting lineups and saying "for the Browns, #30, Bernie Parrish". Oh, the Brownies were tough back then. Bernie was quite the athlete.

Drafted by the Reds and I believe he played two seasons of minor league ball.

The late Casey Coleman (son of and another great Cleveland sportscaster, who passed way too early) use to say that his father would say the following; "Any time the Indians win, I don't have any more money in my pocket or own a larger home and I don't acquire any other tangible asset but it sure puts a hop in my step." Couldn't agree more concernig any of my Cleveland teams.

Monclova Steve - Last night I watched a TV murder mystery show. The crime occurred in Metamora (Evergreen High School was mentioned). That has to be up in your neck of the woods. Since you are originally from SW Ohio, how do you compare it with living in NW Ohio. Just wondering!

Here's a pic for Bevo (and others):

ROCK ON!

Dawg-gone you OWK...I was just gonna post the names and uniform #'s of every starter, both offensively and defensively, for the 1964 championship Browns--which I proudly remember 55 years later!! But that pic stole my thunder. I was at the '64 championship game with my father, his friend, and my older brother--I was 9 years old at the time!!...and have been a Browns fan ever since.

Dawg-gone you OWK...I was just gonna post the names and uniform #'s of every starter, both offensively and defensively, for the 1964 championship Browns--which I proudly remember 55 years later!! But that pic stole my thunder. I was at the '64 championship game with my father, his friend, and my older brother--I was 9 years old at the time!!...and have been a Browns fan ever since.

Sorry coldshoulder, but those were the glory days that we can all share. The Browns had quite a run in the old days. Hopefully, the good times will return.

ROCK ON!

Great memento! As soon as I saw "Modzelewski", I knew it was before my earliest memories of following the Browns (or any other NFL team), which started with the 1967 season.

I get chills remembering the excitement of seeing the Browns come on at 1 PM each Sunday back then.

Happy 80th. to Grace "Somebody To Love" Slick. Soooooo, she was actually a tad older than some of her rocker mates at that time. I believe Grace and Paul Kantner had a daughter they named China. Seemed strange then - fairly mundane now.

Monclova Steve - Last night I watched a TV murder mystery show. The crime occurred in Metamora (Evergreen High School was mentioned). That has to be up in your neck of the woods. Since you are originally from SW Ohio, how do you compare it with living in NW Ohio. Just wondering!
Great question, Bevo. I'll answer it very honestly.

There are parts about NW Ohio I like a lot. Perhaps at the top of the list is the fact that the community tends to graciously accept people of all races, creeds, and religions. Is it perfect in that regard? No place is. However it is not unusual for the religious community to lead services which welcome and include not only attendees but also speakers of all faiths at the podium. For example, the Islamic Center in Perrysburg is looked upon with pride. In fact, when some idiot vandalized it a few years ago, everyone rallied to its restoration and hailed the capture and prosecution of the guilt party. We have a tremendous variety of restaurants and shops that offer interesting and delicious foods from all over the world.

I must say, though, that (even after moving away nearly 40 years ago) my heart still lies in SW Ohio. My sports teams include Xavier, UC, Reds, Bengals, now even FC Cincinnati. The beauty of the seven hills overlooking the Ohio River creates some truly scenic views that we up north just aren't privy to. Of course, my lifelong high school friends and old baseball teammates are mostly still there. As you know very well, they are with you for all of your days. Yes, down there they do have their problems, as we read about from time to time, but the call of fond memories (such as meeting the future Mrs. Monclova!) has a strong pull.

Thanks for the question, OWK. It would be wonderful to hear more about all of us -- including you, my friend. :)

40 years ago, particularly Perrysburg was no different than the SW Ohio you describe, from 40 years ago. So maybe comparing apples and oranges, today NW Ohio to yesterday's SW Ohio? I don't know but it was no kumbaya paradise here. Fairly backwards. I left in the mid 70s and came back in the mid 90s to the same frizzy hair styles. This area tends to progress rather slowly in nearly all regards.

Monclova Steve - I think I understand what you are communicating, but eastisbest also has a great comment about the same areas being very different during different eras. Good stuff!

There are pros and cons to every (or almost every) area. It's also pretty common for us to have strong feelings about where we grew up and our childhood friends. My experience is that the older people get the more they appreciate their childhood friends and hometown. Of course, I could be wrong because there are usually some negative jokes and/or comments about almost every place.

I'm originally from Akron, but lived in Cincinnati for about 15 years. As much as I love Cincinnati, I'm reminded of Mark Twain's quote about The Queen City:

"When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always twenty years behind the times."

Here are a couple of photos to celebrate Grace Slick's 80th birthday (Then and Now):

ROCK ON!

"Don't you want somebody to love. Don't you need somebody to love? Wouldn't you love somebody to love?" Looks like a woman from my recent 50th. class reunion - although I did see that Gace was born in 1939 - wow! I believe she worked as a model, also.

"Don't you want somebody to love. Don't you need somebody to love? Wouldn't you love somebody to love?" Looks like a woman from my recent 50th. class reunion - although I did see that Gace was born in 1939 - wow! I believe she worked as a model, also.

Yes Bevo, Grace was a model for three years in the San Francisco. I remember the night in 1972 when she got arrested in Akron:

From left, Jefferson Airplane lead singer Grace Slick, equipment manager Charles "Chick" Casady and guitarist Paul Kantner sit in silence after being arrested following a 1972 concert at the Akron Rubber Bowl. The three were charged with assaulting a police officer.

ROCK ON!

Last edited:
Indeed!

My two Cleveland Brown offerings (shared on here or The Huddle before).

My brother bought me a Browns' sweatshirt when I was around seven. It had the impish elf on the front, hands on hips, who seemed to be saying in the words of Greg Williams, "Come get some." Loved that shirt.

Later on in the winter of '72, I was involved with having a Browns' basketball team come to Upper Sandusky. We have covered this before. These pro teams traveled in groups in the off season all over Ohio to play faculties and alumni, etc. ( I would not be at all surprised if some of you played against them or recall these yearly visits). These events raised money for the schools or other organizations, put a few bucks in the players' pockets and helped to keep them in shape.

At that time, things were so much more open.

I was also involved with bringing Big Chuck and Hoolihan (you have to be from the top of the state to have known who they were) to our local youth center for a Sunday afternoon of nonsense with some of our local teens. They were really nice guys and told me it was the furthest they had ever traveled for a gig. My contact was Bob Wells (Hoolihan) who was also the channel eight weatherman. I called right before the six o'clock news one night, left my home number and he called me back when he was off air. We did all of this without a contract and I am not sure we spoke again until they pulled up in front of the youth center.

My Browns' contact was player, Walter Johnson. The "basketball" group advertised in the Plain Dealer for these fundraisers at schools. The number I had was his home phone and as I spoke to him I could hear his kids in the background. I believe the "team" charged about $500-$600. Upper's gym was packed in the lower bowl and we had several exhibitions of the police, firefighters, alumni, etc., playing before the main event.

The Browns' players were over an hour late. Said they went to Sandusky - not Upper Sandusky. There were only six of them. There may have been a taxi squad player in the mix - although I seem to recall Reece Morrison being one of them. The leader for that night at least was Ben Davis, cornerback. Pretty good player and a pretty nice guy. Of course he was the brother of Angela Davis, who was in the news quite a bit back then.

The Brownies played hard, well and fair. We had them sign autographs at the half (something that they didn't seem too interested in doing) but all in all the night was a success and money was made for the youth center - probably, $700. Big bucks back then for a small town nonprofit.

One other thing that really struck us was that they smoked in the locker room. They left the butts in a pop can. we couldn't believe that these pro athletes smoked!!

As I remember these two undertakings, I am so struck by how complicated this would be today. And no cell phones for communicating!

Last edited:
Great stuff, Bevo. I actually remember the first time you posted the above. That had to be years ago, but I could definitely relate to it. Good times!

Since we have had some comments about Grace Slick this past week, I just had to post this:

ROCK ON!

I don't know if Grace is still singing, but I know Ann Wilson is. Back in the day when Heart came out, an article compared the two singers and called Ann's vocals "slicker than Grace".

I wasn't a Jefferson Airplane fan, though I did like a Starship song, "Jane", which our band covered.

The leaves are about half gone from the trees. I spent a few hours raking and taking them to the curb last night. Tonight is trick or treat, which I don't really care for. I'll stay out for an hour or so and hand out candy before I'm done and too cold to mess with it. I miss having my sons here to do it since they liked dressing up and getting into it.

Hubby was supposed to be participating in Ironman Florida today; but because of his knee surgery this summer, he deferred to next November. He's worked so hard for this for years.

We've been working on finishing the parlor and foyer of our home before Thanksgiving family come. We've had to redo every square inch of this place, and we kind of stopped after 14 rooms, tired of doing the work of stripping, sanding, painting, reflooring, etc. I got it into gear again a month ago, and we'll finish this time once and for all. We have the front room the formal dining room, and front stairs to finish. That should about do it. Hubby has learned how to faux finish wood since this wood isn't pretty in some of the rooms. He's pretty good at it. He'll also faux marble the fireplace in the parlor since the painted slate is all messed up. Did you know most of the "marble" fireplace mantles you see from old days after actually painted to look like marble by incredible artisans? Look underneath the mantle and you'll see the slate.

My goal is to have the big Christmas tree in the parlor window this year. (Honk when you go by, Bevo!)

Anyway, enjoy the fall and don't forget you get an extra hour of sleep tonight.

Last edited:
Honk on, Diva! (You light it and I'll acknowledge it.)

Sounds like your home will be ready for the invasion. Good times!!

Saw Christmas decorations at a house in Findlay last night. I'm all for it - the world needs as much color as it can get.

The DST/ST discussion really cranks me up. I hear very few people offer that the "dark until 8:00 a.m." in the morning may not be good for anything involving school; i.e., kids along rural roads (as mine were), buses, kids walking in the dark, high schoolers driving in the dark. Throw in some snow and fog to go along with the dark and it's a recipe for disaster. Just me.

We have some illnesses to deal with this holiday season - my brother and mother-in-law are not doing well. So, we are trying to cobble together a Thanksgiving meal for them and us.

We actually did the entire Bob Evans meal last year for about ten of us. Not bad, but pricey.

OSU hoops open Wed. against the Bearcats. Some of you recall that our leader - OWK - was an assistant coach at Cincy. (" Look who's in the big town." - John Mellencamp) Bucks will be good and fun to watch. Watch frosh, Carton!

Diva - you may have missed it but former OSU star Aaron Craft has announced he is retiring after six years of pro ball overseas to start at OSU's med. school next year. Craft, who most of us recall was very smart, retook the med. school (mcat?) test and was admitted recently. Said that he had also looked at O.U. (I didn't know they had a program.) Craft is a recent father and he and his wife have already bought a home in New Albany, I believe.

Craft said it was his life long dream to be a doctor. So, that's cool. I must be in repeat mode this week but some of you know that I had Craft's parents, John and Wendy. in class at Hopewell-Loudon.

One of the Buckeyes more exciting and fun players to watch. Probably Aaron and Diebler could have played in The Association somewhere.

My yard is full of leaves and I am sort of waiting for most to fall. Neighbor's is the same so we aren't annoying each other yet.

Halloween season is funny. There is such a contrast to the end of Oct. and the start of Nov. It's like fall/winter in a day. Love this time of yar. Enjoy it!!

As a kid I loved walking home from practices and school in the fall, shuffling through crsipy leaves.

Last edited:
Diva and Bevo - Thanks for the great comments! Lots of interesting stuff and thoughts from the past that make me miss autumn. Obviously, I'm still living in Florida and it is REALLY hot, especially for this time of the year. Yesterday, it was 50-degrees warmer in Miami than Akron (88 and 38). Still, to me, there's nothing better than a sunny, cool (not cold) autumn day when the leaves are colorful. Of course, every part of the country has its pros and cons as per the weather.

Gracie Slick is no longer performing and hasn't for quite a while. She retired at 48 and lived up to her comments about "old rockers':

"All rock-and-rollers over the age of 50 look stupid and should retire."

ROCK ON!