Do order ahead For Fast Food, when you want to pick it up?

bigkat

hear all these commercials for people to order ahead for FAST FOOD on their APP? really don't understand why you want to get your food that way... heck half the time when i order food thru the drive thru... it is cold anyways... I would think that the order ahead fast food has even a better chance of being COLD

I do. The apps have rewards and special deals. Plus, most of the time they start making the food when you arrive.

Also, less chance for mistakes because you enter the order the way you want it. My orders are far more correct since I started to use apps.

App deals are the only way to actually make fast food cheap anymore. With mcdonalds, they won't start making it until you actually arrive (which they track in the app) so it's fresh and they always have BOGO deals for quarter lbers. I wouldn't pay $5 for one but I can live with $5 for 2

I do it from the car right before walking in. I'm right there when it comes out. Don't have to explain my order 4-5x to whoever's working the register. Usually good deals

I do it from the car right before walking in. I'm right there when it comes out. Don't have to explain my order 4-5x to whoever's working the register. Usually good deals
So... do you have to go inside or can you still use the drive thru window? If you go inside, do you still get in line. I imagine so.

If you can drive thru, do you still use the intercom or can you pass that up and go to the window? I imagine that could cause some angst.

If I can save five bucks per meal, I wouldn't mind going inside, if required. Taco Bell is still reasonable, but Arby's $10-$12 is starting to smart.

Never used an app and refuse to use a kiosk. But then with the exception of the occasional Wendy's, I've mostly given up fast food. It's just lukewarm garbage.

So... do you have to go inside or can you still use the drive thru window? If you go inside, do you still get in line. I imagine so.
You can if you want. The only problem is that you’ll be waiting with all of the DoorDash drivers. It’s your preference.
If you can drive thru, do you still use the intercom or can you pass that up and go to the window? I imagine that could cause some angst.
It doesn’t at all. You just say “Hi, I placed a mobile order” and either tell the person your name (Chick-fil-A, Wendy’s) or give them the order number (McDonald’s).

App deals are the only way to actually make fast food cheap anymore. With mcdonalds, they won't start making it until you actually arrive (which they track in the app) so it's fresh and they always have BOGO deals for quarter lbers. I wouldn't pay $5 for one but I can live with $5 for 2
McDonald's, Double Cheeseburger bundle, Double cheeseburger, small fries, $3.50 off the menu. No apps. The push to the apps are a way for these restaurants to eventually cut staffing, or just have people not call off anymore. Eventually, McDonald's will just need people to make the food and have it ready for you when you get there, or doordash will deliver. We are growing a young generation who prefers to not communicate verbally and it's only going to get worse.

McDonald's, Double Cheeseburger bundle, Double cheeseburger, small fries, $3.50 off the menu. No apps. The push to the apps are a way for these restaurants to eventually cut staffing, or just have people not call off anymore. Eventually, McDonald's will just need people to make the food and have it ready for you when you get there, or doordash will deliver. We are growing a young generation who prefers to not communicate verbally and it's only going to get worse.
This along with work from home and folks under 25ish have zero social skills. And then you have dating, guys and gals have no idea how to talk and get to know each other. Now get off my lawn :).

Eventually McDonald's will not need people to make food. There is already a robot can cook burgers. I don't care as long as they continue to serve beef. I'm not interested in soy burgers.

The only fast food we really do it at currently is Chick-fil-A

I should add the main reason we do it at Chick-fil-A is so that my daughter can go and pick it up since she doesn’t have a credit card of her own. It’s more about a means to pay for it then doing a pick up order.

well, I guess I'm going to have to give it a try... Now if i can just figure out what a APP is..:)

Eventually McDonald's will not need people to make food. There is already a robot can cook burgers. I don't care as long as they continue to serve beef. I'm not interested in soy burgers.
And yet the left will continue to cry about wages and jobs. People who run these billion dollar businesses are not dumb. Worker shortage? Ok, we'll build workers who will do job, not be late or cause problems and they'll be alot more efficient. Go into a McDonald's now, 25 years ago it was a staff of 75% 20 years old and younger. Now it's 75% 35 years old and older.

And yet the left will continue to cry about wages and jobs. People who run these billion dollar businesses are not dumb. Worker shortage? Ok, we'll build workers who will do job, not be late or cause problems and they'll be alot more efficient. Go into a McDonald's now, 25 years ago it was a staff of 75% 20 years old and younger. Now it's 75% 35 years old and older.
Thanks for unneeded political comment

The best thing about using an app, besides the deals, is the ability to customize your order. I always go inside to pick my order up. A lot faster than waiting in the drive-thru line

Thanks for unneeded political comment

The best thing about using an app, besides the deals, is the ability to customize your order. I always go inside to pick my order up. A lot faster than waiting in the drive-thru line
All I'm saying is just look ahead just a little.

You can if you want. The only problem is that you’ll be waiting with all of the DoorDash drivers. It’s your preference.

It doesn’t at all. You just say “Hi, I placed a mobile order” and either tell the person your name (Chick-fil-A, Wendy’s) or give them the order number (McDonald’s).
I should have expanded on the "angst" comment. I meant it would probably tick some folks off if you were allowed to skip the intercom.

And maybe even cause an accident. After I posted, I realized 'of course, they would want you to check in at the speaker first.' Duh...

Order online using the computer. Get lots of freebies and online specials. Usually go inside to pick up my order or I can pull into one of the mobile spots and have the order brought to the car.

Unless it's a pizza, I never order ahead.

But this thread made me think about it - when's the last time any of you went to a McD's, Wendy's, or Arby's and actually sat down inside to eat?

Five years ago was out running errands, stopped at a Wendy's that was my hangout when I was a carefree bachelor living on my own. Got nostalgic. Went inside to order from the counter. And it was a nightmare. Had 7 or 8 people behind the counter, but orders were getting filled verrrrry slowly.

Took 25 minutes to get my food. Sat down to eat. Burger and fries just didn't have the zing they used to have. The whole vibe was wrong. No families, no teenagers, just folks in a grouchy mood. Kept saying to myself, "Dave! Bring back the magic! Bring back the beef!"

Unless it's a pizza, I never order ahead.

But this thread made me think about it - when's the last time any of you went to a McD's, Wendy's, or Arby's and actually sat down inside to eat?

Five years ago was out running errands, stopped at a Wendy's that was my hangout when I was a carefree bachelor living on my own. Got nostalgic. Went inside to order from the counter. And it was a nightmare. Had 7 or 8 people behind the counter, but orders were getting filled verrrrry slowly.

Took 25 minutes to get my food. Sat down to eat. Burger and fries just didn't have the zing they used to have. The whole vibe was wrong. No families, no teenagers, just folks in a grouchy mood. Kept saying to myself, "Dave! Bring back the magic! Bring back the beef!"

It’s been at least since pre-Covid.

The one place I won't do online ordering from anymore is Chipotle. I've been burned the last couple times and it's not worth it anymore. It's easy enough to build your order, but as of late, when I've done that my order has either been missing ingredients I asked for or just been really skimpy on stuff (or both). I talked with a friend's kid the other day, who has worked at Chipotle in the past and he said the online orders always get made worse than when you're in store, simply because it's easier to do that when the customer isn't standing right in front of them.

Otherwise, I'm not necessarily opposed to ordering on an app - I usually do in the store to pick up, though, and try to get there a few minutes before it's supposed to be done so I have at least some chance of it being hot.

We do pre-order for Subway and Chipotle. I guess I wasn’t really thinking of those as fast food.

Last edited:
Go into a McDonald's now, 25 years ago it was a staff of 75% 20 years old and younger. Now it's 75% 35 years old and older.
Probably because many adults now have to work multiple jobs to make ends meet, or have to work after “retirement” to have any extra spending money.

Probably college for the most part. Exceptions: 1) Ultra late night White Castle in my 20s. 2) McDonald’s breakfast a few times since it’s right by the grocery store — get breakfast before 10:30 cutoff and then pick up groceries. 3) Chick-fil-A a few times at lunch when I just needed a mental break from the office.