Divisional placements and Regional Assignments to be released today for Boys Hoops

What a joke. There are a bunch of schools that are in a lower division in basketball than they are in football.

In what world does that make sense?

That's rhetorical because this was a 100 percent successful in creating a path for a state championship for the "not quite as big" suburban publics (D2) and ensuring two titles (and possibly a third) for small town publics. That's what this was all about.

This might as well be shuffled a bit further and create a 3 division "A" tournament (1/3/5) and a 4 division "B" division tournament (2/4/6/7).

What a joke. There are a bunch of schools that are in a lower division in basketball than they are in football.

In what world does that make sense?

That's rhetorical because this was a 100 percent successful in creating a path for a state championship for the "not quite as big" suburban publics (D2) and ensuring two titles (and possibly a third) for small town publics. That's what this was all about.

This might as well be shuffled a bit further and create a 3 division "A" tournament (1/3/5) and a 4 division "B" division tournament (2/4/6/7).
It won’t be like football for 3 reasons:

1) football and basketball have different numbers of schools that play them. A lot more basketball teams in Ohio than football.

2) Football has 1 “elite” division with fewer teams. Basketball has 2(D1 and D1)

3) competitive balance numbers are different for each school form sport to sport

1) football and basketball have different numbers of schools that play them. A lot more basketball teams in Ohio than football.

2) Football has 1 “elite” division with fewer teams. Basketball has 2(D1 and D1)

3) competitive balance numbers are different for each school form sport to sport
Please, don't muddy the waters with facts.

I get exactly how it happened, doesn't mean it makes sense. In basketball, schools from the top of Division I to the bottom of D4 would play between 8-12 players per non-blowout game. Yes, a school like St. Ignatius has a lot more to pick from to get that 8-12 than Ashtabula St. Paul, but in either case you need a dozen kids.

Football, you have some teams playing up to 50 kids in a normal game on the top end, to 15 on the bottom end.

When you have discrepancies like that, regardless of number of teams or CB numbers, it's silly that a school like Avon Lake can be big enough for D2 in football, but is D3 in basketball. Well, seeing how much tougher D3 in basketball will be, Avon Lake probably wishes it was also D2 in basketball.

Back to what I put above, this move was all about creating divisions to give large (but not too large) suburban publics and small town rural publics annual state title opportunities. I guess that's OK, but waters it down especially since it doesn't look like these new divisions have done much outside creating 3 meat grinders (1/3/5 ... at least at the top of 5), 3 whatever divisions (2/6/7) and one that looks like an interesting mix of urban/suburban/rural/public/private (4)

I get exactly how it happened, doesn't mean it makes sense. In basketball, schools from the top of Division I to the bottom of D4 would play between 8-12 players per non-blowout game. Yes, a school like St. Ignatius has a lot more to pick from to get that 8-12 than Ashtabula St. Paul, but in either case you need a dozen kids.

Football, you have some teams playing up to 50 kids in a normal game on the top end, to 15 on the bottom end.

When you have discrepancies like that, regardless of number of teams or CB numbers, it's silly that a school like Avon Lake can be big enough for D2 in football, but is D3 in basketball. Well, seeing how much tougher D3 in basketball will be, Avon Lake probably wishes it was also D2 in basketball.

Back to what I put above, this move was all about creating divisions to give large (but not too large) suburban publics and small town rural publics annual state title opportunities. I guess that's OK, but waters it down especially since it doesn't look like these new divisions have done much outside creating 3 meat grinders (1/3/5 ... at least at the top of 5), 3 whatever divisions (2/6/7) and one that looks like an interesting mix of urban/suburban/rural/public/private (4)
State titles practically become meaningless. The only thing worth rooting for now is the teams this was designed to give a chance to lose. Lol

This.

Incredible that some of you doofs think this is about the "right" type of schools getting state title opportunities...as opposed to the OHSAA making a postseason tournament money grab.

More games at later stages of the tournament and more opportunities for schools that'll actually put rear ends in the seats, especially when you get more localized regional and state semi-final games.

Incredible that some of you doofs think this is about the "right" type of schools getting state title opportunities...as opposed to the OHSAA making a postseason tournament money grab.

More games at later stages of the tournament and more opportunities for schools that'll actually put rear ends in the seats, especially when you get more localized regional and state semi-final games.
Do we know how they are going to split up the teams based on the regional qualifiers part of the release?

Do we know how they are going to split up the teams based on the regional qualifiers part of the release?
Per the release, we know how many district brackets each district will get. The district level team assignments ought to be based on current district assignments, I would think, barring extreme disparities.

Some divisions are very lopsided towards 1-2 districts. In D3 the NE district has 6/16 district brackets. In that example, the regions should probably look like:

- 4 NE districts = 1 region (Canton Fieldhouse?)
- 4 SW districts = 1 region (Trent Arena/Vandalia?)
- 3 NW, 1 NE = 1 region (BGSU?)
- 2 Central, 1 East, and 1 NE = 1 region (Ohio Dominican? NE Columbus)

Last edited:
I may have missed it - what plans exist with regard to Final Fours in each of the 7 divisions, as far as location/scheduling (I know UD has the 7 finals, but what about semis? At one point this was still up in the air; I do not recall seeing any thread/post that addressed it with any certainty.

NM, found an article from a Dayton newspaper that gives some detail. Finals at UD on one weekend, semi-finals the weekend before at "neutral sites" yet to be determined. So still partially "up in the air" I guess.

Last edited:
I may have missed it - what plans exist with regard to Final Fours in each of the 7 divisions, as far as location/scheduling (I know UD has the 7 finals, but what about semis? At one point this was still up in the air; I do not recall seeing any thread/post that addressed it with any certainty.

NM, found an article from a Dayton newspaper that gives some detail. Finals at UD on one weekend, semi-finals the weekend before at "neutral sites" yet to be determined. So still partially "up in the air" I guess.
Believe the intention is for the Semi-finals to be neutral locations to try to draw most fans.

When is the deadline for the AAU teams to announce that they're moving up to D1?
Voting on the referendum ends May 15 with results announced on May 16. IF it passes, schools will have up to 2 weeks after the start of the season to opt into D1.

Voting on the referendum ends May 15 with results announced on May 16. IF it passes, schools will have up to 2 weeks after the start of the season to opt into D1.
Let's say a team in D7 wants to move up. Is there only option to move all the way to D1 or can they say they want to play in D4?

I have to say, someone being against a central location for the state semifinals was not on my bingo card.
Not necessarily against a central location for semis, definitely against the money-grab division expansion though. My "$$$$" response was to the original posters comment about drawing more fans. That is what this whole thing is about. Drawing more average teams in to "big games" which will draw more fans which will bring OHSAA more money.

Option 2 was to just leave everything the same and address the few teams everyone knows are gaming the system, but no money to be made doing that

Not necessarily against a central location for semis, definitely against the money-grab division expansion though. My "$$$$" response was to the original posters comment about drawing more fans. That is what this whole thing is about. Drawing more average teams in to "big games" which will draw more fans which will bring OHSAA more money.

Option 2 was to just leave everything the same and address the few teams everyone knows are gaming the system, but no money to be made doing that
If it does turn out to generate more money for OHSAA then that means there are more fans in the stands to watch players on the court and I am all for that. Let's make it a point of filling all these gyms and let the kids play in packed houses to celebrate their tournament run and make memories.

If it does turn out to generate more money for OHSAA then that means there are more fans in the stands to watch players on the court and I am all for that. Let's make it a point of filling all these gyms and let the kids play in packed houses to celebrate their tournament run and make memories.
That's not going to happen. By the time you get to the semi-finals you'll still have two or 3 of the 4 teams being ones that bring no fans. Picture a Lutheran East - Harvest Prep D5 semi-final lol. You could pick any junior high gym anywhere between Columbus and Cleveland and put the game there....and there would still be empty seats :)

Best case scenario: More teams that travel like Russia/OG/Hayes are in the semis and the games are packed

Worst case scenario: More teams that are lightly followed, but are really good, play good teams with a good following. This is essentially what the state tournament has become and more of that would be awful.