Divisional placements and Regional Assignments to be released today for Boys Hoops

mr_nov

Just got word that the preliminary divisional placements would be released today - variable being the option to move up to D1. I saw fall sports were released yesterday and an OHSAA email stated that May 1st would be Boys and girls Bball. This is in spite of Twitter/X rumor being on Monday. Will be interested to see that cutoff teams of each division. 64-64 then 134? for each division after.

I’m less interested in who’s in what division, and more interested to see the tournament format.

Does it mean:
- super sectionals? In SWO, for example, are Dayton and Cincinnati still separated? So sectionals would be essentially the same it has, but 1 less round in divisions 3-7? Or will they combine everyone for a big sectional?
- 1st round home games?
- how much traveling will some teams have for early games?

I’m less interested in who’s in what division, and more interested to see the tournament format.

Does it mean:
- super sectionals? In SWO, for example, are Dayton and Cincinnati still separated? So sectionals would be essentially the same it has, but 1 less round in divisions 3-7? Or will they combine everyone for a big sectional?
- 1st round home games?
- how much traveling will some teams have for early games?
I'm with you! I think SWOH will have to be combined based on number of teams and I think early round home games will happen too. Just hunches, no inside info. Team assignments between Cincy/Dayton typically aren't posted until Fall but hopefully SWDAB does it sooner.

I'm with you! I think SWOH will have to be combined based on number of teams and I think early round home games will happen too. Just hunches, no inside info. Team assignments between Cincy/Dayton typically aren't posted until Fall but hopefully SWDAB does it sooner.
What about the SE for division 3? Doesn't seem like there are many. Would they pull some normal SW teams that way?

What about the SE for division 3? Doesn't seem like there are many. Would they pull some normal SW teams that way?
Great question, I have no idea how OHSAA will put together a tournament where divisions in some parts of the state have 15-20 teams and some parts of the state have 4-8 teams.

Great question, I have no idea how OHSAA will put together a tournament where divisions in some parts of the state have 15-20 teams and some parts of the state have 4-8 teams.
I have seen for a couple fall sports releases that, yes, some teams will travel far in the tourny for a 1st game

Still waiting.... maybe released today.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 9.17.54 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 9.17.54 AM.png
    164.4 KB · Views: 144
I can see East and SE combining for the District tournament. Marietta College and /Or Athens hosted when there were only 3 divisions

Is anyone in favor of scrapping the six state districts setup and make regionals like football does?
Yes. The fact the districts have different rules is ridiculous too. Some districts have 9 teams, others have 14. In some the higher seeds host, in others they have neutral sites. The lack of uniformity is crazy

What districts are you talking about?
PMFJI but in the East District Division I has one school and it is lumped in with NE schools. D-II has 21 schools split into two. D-III has 15 schools. Division IV has 16 schools. In the SE (please correct me if I am wrong) but D-II has 20 schools in one district whereas D-IV has 20 schools in two districts. If you scrap the six OHSAA districts and go to four regions. Each of the four regions would have the same number of schools, or off by one. Each region would have four districts would have the same number of schools, or off by one.

I would even get rid of the rule/tradition of keeping counties together. If region one has 45 schools (Not sure what the new seven division setup will do) and region two has 48 because one county has three schools that aren't usually split, I say split 'em up into 46 and 47.

Last edited:
They're expected to announce divisional breakdowns this afternoon along with some tournament representation details.

We shall see.

Last edited:
They're expected to announce divisional breakdowns this afternoon along with some tournament representation details.

We shall see.
Saw that posted by multiple media members. If it is the same as fall sports we will see who is in what division and how many from each region make it to regionals. I sure hope there is more about the tournament structure!