Division VII State Semifinal: Marion Local (11-2) vs. Patrick Henry (10-3)

Who wins?

• Marion Local by 15+

Votes: 30 51.7%
  • Marion Local by 8-14

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • Marion Local by 1-7

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Patrick Henry by 1-7

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Patrick Henry by 8-14

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Patrick Henry by 15+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
PH qb and rb all both All State wrestlers. The 6'6 lineman is committed to Toledo. The problem with this team is depth. They just dont have the numbers. They are very talented for what they have. An injury here or there will have a major effect. They did suffer a concussion last week and a couple others got banged up a tad. Should be as healthy as can be expected 14 weeks into the season.

PH lost 2 games by 1 point each...both on failed 2pt conversions. 3rd loss was to arch rival Liberty Center where best receiver was out for the game and RB was out entire 2nd half.

PH is 0-8 vs the MAC. 0-1 vs Coldwater. 0-1 vs St Henry. 0-2 vs DSJ. 0-4 vs Marion Local (2 playoff/ 2 regular season) One of these years they will break thru. Hopefully this year.

I assumed the QB was a wrestler, makes for a great Nose Guard. First time I have ever seen the QB/Nose Guard combo. I expect a great game, weather looks a little , might make for a low scoring game.

I would imagine that either they play the whole game, or they would have a break for them during special teams with the underclassmen getting the reps on specials.
If they are playing underclassmen to rest their starters since they go both ways, it could favor the Flyers. The Flyers have pretty good ST play this year. It could be the difference in the game.

With Peyton Otte returning punts and kickoffs for ML, PH will want their best players on the field for coverage.

I agree. The Flyers return yardage increased when they switched out some of the younger guys with varsity players for the Parkway game. Giving Otte a little better blocking and room to do his magic.

I also like that Otte is gutsy about catching the punt. It’s probably unrealistic and unreasonable of me, but it bugs me when return men are overly cautious and, instead of fair catching the ball, let it bounce 12-15 yards downfield. ML’s return game came up huge against Fort Loramie, and Otte was a big part of that.

Those extra yards go a long way in switching feild positions. Playing on the opponent's side of the feild give the offense less of a chance to make a mistake and defense room to recover from a mistake.

40-6 Final. Flyers brought it tonight. Congrats Patrick Henry on a fine season. Flyers head to a ninth straight state finals appearance and an opportunity to tie St. Ignatius' record 11 State Championship victories.

Maybe PH felt their only hope of containing the Flyers was to slow the ML rushing attack considerably, and therefore be forced to take their chances on pass defense, hoping the Flyers couldn’t hurt them too badly through the air.. Marion played well and certainly was the better team.

Maybe PH felt their only hope of containing the Flyers was to slow the ML rushing attack considerably, and therefore be forced to take their chances on pass defense, hoping the Flyers couldn’t hurt them too badly through the air.. Marion played well and certainly was the better team.

PH hasn’t played great defense all season and in all honestly if PH played Marion’s schedule they may have won what 2 games? A few posters saying this will be some of the best players ML has seen obviously has not watched MAC football or watched FL play. This game was a complete mismatch.

With the crummy weather that’s forecast I’m going with 13-0 ML.
Turns out you were right about the first quarter score.
My complaint of the night was the parking problem. Last time I was at a playoff game in Lima there was no problem getting a handicap parking spot near the stadium. Last night you had a hard time finding a place to park unless you were the visiting team. Ohsaa should have reconnoitered the game site before hand.

You are judging a team's whole season on a week 14 game. A team with little-to-no depth that didn't see a team their own size until week 11, finished the season with 2 of their last 3 games against teams who won a playoff game then ground out 3 tough wins while battling injuries/concussions then finally run into the best team in the state and you are saying they would struggle with DSJ week 4? The same week they took Archbold to the wire?
Only one common opponent between the 4 teams you said would blow out PH: Archbold. Coldwater loses on a last second pass and PH loses by 1 after going for 2 with 3 minutes left.
I agree other teams gave ML a better game throughout the year but no need to disparage the PH season based on very little information.

You are judging a team's whole season on a week 14 game. A team with little-to-no depth that didn't see a team their own size until week 11, finished the season with 2 of their last 3 games against teams who won a playoff game then ground out 3 tough wins while battling injuries/concussions then finally run into the best team in the state and you are saying they would struggle with DSJ week 4? The same week they took Archbold to the wire?
Only one common opponent between the 4 teams you said would blow out PH: Archbold. Coldwater loses on a last second pass and PH loses by 1 after going for 2 with 3 minutes left.
I agree other teams gave ML a better game throughout the year but no need to disparage the PH season based on very little information.
I agree, not sure what his problem is with PH. They are a very good team and one game doesn't tell the whole story who they are. I love the MAC and they have unbelievable coaching, but lets see some of them come up to this part of state and coach these teams with 25 to 30 kids with no depth and no room for injuries and win state titles

Last edited:
I thought Patrick Henry was somewhat undisciplined on defense. They were sucked in badly two or three times early in the game and it resulted in three very long scoring plays. They may have been too pumped up, but after 13 games and game films from Marion Local you would have thought they wouldn't bite so easily.

PH had a great season. Others are jealous that they were not in the State semi's, so lets tear down the teams that were. Marion was simply a bad match-up for PH. The fact that Archbold beat Coldwater, and Coldwater handily beat every MAC school except Marion and Anna. Makes the argument seem stupid to me.

I agree, not sure what his problem is with PH. They are a very good team and one game doesn't tell the whole story who they are. I love the MAC and they have unbelievable coaching, but lets see some of them come up to this part of state and coach these teams with 25 to 30 kids with no depth and no room for injuries and win state titles

No issue with PH I think they are very well coached and disciplined offensively. Sorry, we don’t see it the same I think those 4 would be PH rather easily and the others would be competitive games. New Breman wasn’t mentioned who I got a chance to see a few times this year and looked much more talented than PH as well. PH may have gone 6-4 with that schedule but I doubt it (my opinion) I think they were a product of a very below average region. Again, apologize for saying PH would be a bottom half MAC team. Congrats on a good season.