• Marion Local by 8-16

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Marion Local by 1-7

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Dalton

Votes: 32 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A few years back Marion Local played Lucas. Lucas played tuff and did well I could see Dalton doing a little better then them so I would say ML 14-24

How many players do the Flyers put on the field!??
They start 11 on offense and 11 on defense

However, it often feels like they have 12-13 on the field at a time.

For those who have seen the St13ners much or at all.

Not flashy. No one will wow you. No one lined up for NIL deals if it should become legal.

Quite simply on offense they always have a hat on a hat. You just don't see defenders running free and able to make plays.

Very technically sound blocking techniques that has defenders engaged at all times.

They simply do their jobs like it's drawn up in the playbook.

The best time to play them is the first few weeks after graduating alot of seniors. Their coaches do such a great job in teaching the fundamentals that once the season gets rolling and the FNPs get up to snuff it's extremely tough to beat them.

Defensively, again, they do their jobs. Not many teams in HS scheme better than MAC foe CW, but MSML is just so darned disciplined. They put relentless pressure on passing teams, and stonewall running attacks.

It will take a Herculean effort and probably some luck for Dalton to win this one, but the fact they played riht with Kirtland tells you they have a shot.

Goodluck Flyers from your MAC brethren.

Last edited:
They start 11 on offense and 11 on defense

However, it often feels like they have 12-13 on the field at a time.

For those who have seen the St13ners much or at all.

Not flashy. No one will wow you. No one lined up for NIL deals if it should become legal.

Quite simply on offense they always have a hat on a hat. You just don't see defenders running free and able to make plays.

Very technically sound blocking techniques that has defenders engaged at all times.

They simply do their jobs like it's drawn up in the playbook.

The best time to play them is the first few weeks after graduating alot of seniors. Their coaches do such a great job in teaching the fundamentals that once the season gets rolling and the FNPs get up to snuff it's extremely tough to beat them.

Defensively, again, they do their jobs. Not many teams in HS scheme better than MAC foe CW, but MSML is just so darned disciplined. They put relentless pressure on passing teams, and stonewall running attacks.

It will take a Herculean effort and probably some luck for Danville to win this one, but the fact they played right with Kirtland tells you they have a shot.

Goodluck Flyers from your MAC brethren.
There is no damn way I give Danville a shot in this one. …no damn way.

This part in particular. It’s quite rare, in D7, for an opposing offense to have more than 2 of the 8 best athletes on the field at the same time as MSML’s defensive front.

Goodwin’s defense is so damn good in November and beyond for two reasons: 1) he makes good athletes into physical monsters, thereby creating a good groundswell of who to put into the DL/LB groupings; 2) they have really good preparation in the MAC for a variety of offenses, which also is useful in conditioning the DL for assignments week over week, that come November they aren’t seeing anything better or more complex than what their median MAC opponent brought in September or October. They do top level film work and preparation in their game-planning, and it shows.

This part in particular. It’s quite rare, in D7, for an opposing offense to have more than 2 of the 8 best athletes on the field at the same time as MSML’s defensive front.

Goodwin’s defense is so damn good in November and beyond for two reasons: 1) he makes good athletes into physical monsters, thereby creating a good groundswell of who to put into the DL/LB groupings; 2) they have really good preparation in the MAC for a variety of offenses, which also is useful in conditioning the DL for assignments week over week, that come November they aren’t seeing anything better or more complex than what their median MAC opponent brought in September or October. They do top level film work and preparation in their game-planning, and it shows.
Quite simply put, a coaches job is to put each player in a position to succeed in a team concept and accept that role.

That is what they do with record breaking results.

Cramer, I mean Goodwin, has it down to a science and I wish them well.

Versailles will have their hands full so the St13ners are our beat shot as a league for a title.

I live in Wayne county and follow many of the teams here. Dalton is having it's best year ever in football but unfortunately they have to run into a state powerhouse like Marion Local in the championship game. Dalton is playing great football but it sounds like Marion Local is on another level and has a loaded program. I'd be happy to see Dalton keep it within 2 scores but I don't think they can beat Marion. According to Drew Pasteur's picks, they are 24 point underdogs. I'd love to see Dalton pull off the HUGE upset but trying to be realistic as well.

Last edited:
I live in Wayne county and follow many of the teams here. Dalton is having it's best year ever in football but unfortunately they have to run into a state powerhouse like Marion Local in the championship game. Dalton is playing great football but it sounds like Marion Local is on another level and has a loaded program. I'd be happy to see Dalton keep it with 2 scores but I don't think they can beat Marion. According to Drew Pasteur's picks they are 24 point underdogs. I'd love to see Dalton pull off the HUGE upset but trying to be realistic as well.
Flyers are not on another level. Dalton will have the bigger oline and dline, Marion Local has 2 players over 200 lbs. (one who is right at 200) on defense. If Dalton has a good power running game they can run straight at the Flyers, run straight at speed. In the MAC Versailles is the only run 1st offense among the top MAC schools. According to the Courier Marion Local had 230 total yds. vs PH (177 yds.) Difference in the games was field position Flyers had 3 of their 4 offensive TD's start in PH territory, Flyers had a block punt for a TD and pick six. Dalton needs to have a good defense, running game, and very importantly when playing Marion Local good special teams if they do I expect this to be a good game. However, I will say if you are going to beat ML better do it this year as they have 80 - 85% of the team returning next year.

I agree with Stirred. Dalton has the O line along with some speedy guys to move the ball and score on the Flyers. The Flyers have a solid defense as usual but it isn't the absolute stone wall like 2022. Dalton looks like a complete team. Heading into the playoffs I thought Marion Local, Dalton and Minster were the three best teams. Seems to have played out that way. This could be a very close game down to the final quarter. I'm not going to say Marion Local isn't capable of winning by several scores either. You just can't underestimate a Goodwin team in that regard. They have an ability of raising it to another level and imposing their will during the course of a game that few teams can do. After Coldwater beat Versailles, not too many expected Marion Local to be up 35-7 on Coldwater late in the 4th. This Dalton team just has the look of one that could pull it off.

Last edited:
I think many of you are underestimating Marion Local's defense this year. In my estimation, this defense would rank in the top 5 of all time at Marion. In 15 games, they have only given up 96 points (7 in the playoffs). I think after the 1st game against Wapak where we were playing 7 new starters on defense, everyone assumed the D was the weakness of this team. Wapak returned a seasoned veteran team this year and had a defensive and special teams TD that night. Had Wapak not lost their starting RB and QB in the first half aginst Badin the other week, I think it would be fair to say that they would have had a better than 50/50 shot at playing this weekend in D3 Championship. In typical Coach Goodwin fashion, they tinker with the lineup and by the time the playoffs come around, the defense has been on another level.

I think many Flyer fans expect us to be better next year; but we need a lot of underclassmen to step up and replace some very valuable seniors. Seniors Carter Jones, Simon Partington, Landon Arling, Mitch Ranly and Wyatt Greenwood have all been at an All State Level on defense. Kyle Otte is a 4 year starter on offense and was probably the MVP of the state game last year. They were key contributors on past Marion Local teams. They will be very hard to replace after graduation. The other seniors have been very valuable to this team as well. They got sandwiched in between 2 great classes at Marion. They don't complain and work their butts off when their number is called. I give those guys tons of credit. Not many kids would stick it out in this day and age if they weren't playing much; but they show up every day and grind it out in practice, giving our starters better looks than most of the games they play in. Most of them would start on 98% of the other D7 schools. Carter Jones should have been 1st team All Mac, All District and All State this year. The MAC coaches won't throw at him or run at him much in games, because he is a lock down corner; but then didn't vote for him for All Mac voting getting an honorable mention.

I wouldn't look at total yardage when playing Marion Local. Our defense and special teams consistently set the offense up with great field position and short fields. If you hang your hat on holding Marion's offense to a certain amount of yardage, you better check the hidden yards and average starting field position for both teams. You can say Marion's players are system players; but we still have elite MAC Athletes. If we didn't, we wouldn't have all the success in all the other sports as well. It is very seldom that we walk on a field and don't have 4 of the top 5 athletes on the field. We just don't pad our stats and rely on many players instead of 1 or 2. Because of this, you can't just key on 1 guy and our reserves this year are getting 16 weeks of Varsity Game experience to make them ready for next year. I am guessing we will have 35 to 40 kids that will earn Varsity Letters this year.

I don't know much about Dalton other than that Coach Goodwin went out of his way to stress how hard this game is going to be and that they have been keeping an eye on them all year. Flyer fans, please show up and support your team. If you are physically able to, go to the game. Get off your hands and cheer. These kids will make mistakes. Some of our fans expect perfection and complain when a team gets in our red zone or we miss a block. This incredible run isn't going to last forever. Appreciate it while it lasts.

Maybe in 20 vs New Bremen or Minster in 19? Marion Local has only lost 8 times in the last 10 plus years, almost 11.
Bremen had over 60 on that team, probably close to 40 Juniors and Seniors, that makes a huge difference.

As for this game - I know the winds of change can come fast in High School football, since you are basically turning over your Varsity roster every couple of years. That being said, I have seen nothing the last four years that makes me believe anyone is ready to compete with the MAC in D7. The last 4 years the combined score of the final game has been 139-19, this MSML team is as good as any of those last four teams. Is Dalton good enough to make up that kind of difference?? I know both years New Bremen played JFK I heard on here how Bremen has not seen their kind of speed or their kind of defense; let me tell you in the MAC week in and week out you play Coldwater, Versailles, Minster, Anna, etc there is nothing we haven’t seen in the MAC that some other D7 team is going to throw at us.

This will be another decisive victory, I will stick with 49-0 MSML. Polish up number 14.

Bremen had over 60 on that team, probably close to 40 Juniors and Seniors, that makes a huge difference.

As for this game - I know the winds of change can come fast in High School football, since you are basically turning over your Varsity roster every couple of years. That being said, I have seen nothing the last four years that makes me believe anyone is ready to compete with the MAC in D7. The last 4 years the combined score of the final game has been 139-19, this MSML team is as good as any of those last four teams. Is Dalton good enough to make up that kind of difference?? I know both years New Bremen played JFK I heard on here how Bremen has not seen their kind of speed or their kind of defense; let me tell you in the MAC week in and week out you play Coldwater, Versailles, Minster, Anna, etc there is nothing we haven’t seen in the MAC that some other D7 team is going to throw at us.

This will be another decisive victory, I will stick with 49-0 MSML. Polish up number 14.
No way Jose.