Division VI State Championship: Marion Local (15-0) vs Kirtland (15-0)

Who wins?

• Marion Local by 17+

Votes: 17 8.9%
  • Marion Local by 8-16

Votes: 56 29.5%
  • Marion Local by 1-7

Votes: 54 28.4%
  • Kirtland by 1-7

Votes: 38 20.0%
  • Kirtland by 8-16

Votes: 20 10.5%
  • Kirtland by 17+

Votes: 5 2.6%

• Total voters
As advertised, as expected. If i had ignored the score and just watched the game i would have thought it ended in a virtual tie. Both teams lived up to their expectations as far as im concerned.

If anyone has the final stats could you please post them?
1670095005486.png

MAC now 5-3 vs Kirtland
Coldwater 1-1
Marion 2-2
Minster 1-0
Versailles 1-0

Most of the games have been quite close - when K takes on a MAC opponent in the title game it feels like the two best teams in the division are going at it.

I hope for many more K vs MAC games in the years to come.

Any replays of this game should be required to be shown in black & white. Outstanding football all the way around.

A crazy amount oh “WHOA!” hits by both sides. Every yard was earned.

MSML offense scheme was impressive, but the defense was just stupid good. Hope #25 is ok because he played like a man.

Also, for those assuming Kirtland QB is playing just because he’s the coach’s son, feel free to revisit that topic at any point over the next 3 years when the Hornets are back in the finals. Just like they were last year. And the year before.,..

Hats off to both sides for two outstanding seasons that culminated in a great defensive stalemate. Ultimately, one side had to win.

The fact that the Flyers allowed a touchdown is a fireable offense for their defensive coordinator. 🤣

In all seriousness, I couldn’t have found a more evenly-matched game when looking at the final stats. Lots of similarities in there, especially w/ penalties, turnovers, total yards, 1D/3D conversions, etc.

While some I have spoken to think that the pick six was the difference (and it certainly hurt the Hornets), Kirtland did also manage to score a touchdown off a Marion Local fumble.

With that in mind, I think the two biggest differences in this game were the wind and ML’s singular offensive touchdown drive which was the only long offensive series for a score all game.

Each team scored off a turnover, but ML had the other score. I said earlier in the week the first team to 14 or 10 would win, and it held up true.

Again, congrats to both sides on outstanding seasons. These two programs are the gold standard for small school football and this kind of game showed why.

The Hornet weight room will be in full force tomorrow, and I am sure much will be the same in Maria Stein. I hold tremendous respect for the dynasty that Tim Goodwin & co have built and I am sure many in the MAC respect getting a strong fight out of the Hornets just about every year.

Kirtland falls to 3-5 against the MAC, but boy are these battles always fun to watch.

Any replays of this game should be required to be shown in black & white. Outstanding football all the way around.

A crazy amount oh “WHOA!” hits by both sides. Every yard was earned.

MSML offense scheme was impressive, but the defense was just stupid good. Hope #25 is ok because he played like a man.

Also, for those assuming Kirtland QB is playing just because he’s the coach’s son, feel free to revisit that topic at any point over the next 3 years when the Hornets are back in the finals. Just like they were last year. And the year before.,..
Agree. Will have to watch this back and find a way to put NFL films music on loop. One of those Kirtland hits could have been heard back in Lake County.

The ML offense was good at finding gaps when in space and being deceiving with gadget and option plays. And yes, the ML defense was a wall. It is easy for people to say that as a generality, but this defense was a legitimate brick and stone wall. You don’t get 11 shutouts for nothing.

And Tiger does not play favorites. His own son, who many assumed at the end of last season would be the next marquee back, was turned into the lead blocker in the backfield this season and was a fantastic linebacker.

That said, this was a great learning experience for any QB, let alone a freshman.

ML was one of the smallest DVI schools this season.

Might they drop to DVII next year - or is there still a provision in which all teams stay in the same division for two consecutive years?

ML was one of the smallest DVI schools this season.

Might they drop to DVII next year - or is there still a provision in which all teams stay in the same division for two consecutive years?
I think it is every year now. I think ML was the smallest school in DVI this year, barely making it past the cut line. Would love to see these two stay in D6, the best against the best.