Division VI State Championship: Marion Local (15-0) vs Kirtland (15-0)

Who wins?

• Marion Local by 17+

Votes: 17 8.9%
  • Marion Local by 8-16

Votes: 56 29.5%
  • Marion Local by 1-7

Votes: 54 28.4%
  • Kirtland by 1-7

Votes: 38 20.0%
  • Kirtland by 8-16

Votes: 20 10.5%
  • Kirtland by 17+

Votes: 5 2.6%

• Total voters
How great are these programs? One of them has a freshman starting at QB and it barely generates a “yeah, so what?” For just about any other title game matchup that would dominate the conversation.

That said, ML wins Saturday. And then, for the next 3 years, small school fans will be saying “how is Laverde still qb at Kirtland? He’s been there for what seems like forever!”
Don’t like your prediction ☹️

Sorry. Just being honest.

That said, I keep having this mental picture of, at some point in next few years, them lining up in power then shifting to a 5 wide set and going Fun & Gun for a series while defensive coordinators around the state call to fill blood pressure prescriptions 😂
I know your being honest, and you know more than most on this site. Being a Hornet fan I don’t like the prediction. My prediction is a pure guess as I only know Kirtland and haven’t seen Marion Local play this year…that said I just hope it is nothing like the 2017 game

I know your being honest, and you know more than most on this site. Being a Hornet fan I don’t like the prediction. My prediction is a pure guess as I only know Kirtland and haven’t seen Marion Local play this year…that said I just hope it is nothing like the 2017 game
And that was the only running clock Tiger has ever had in 17 years. I’m with you… I don’t want to see that again.

If it is most likely K with the running clock. ML faces very few teams that play a full back (except) Versailles, most MAC teams run spread offenses nor have Kirtland's size on the oline except maybe Coldwater. ML defensively is very good sideline to sideline we will see how the defense does against a team with a direct approach of running the football and no this ML team is not built like the 17 team where they could just run the ball to the right and gain 3 or 4yds. plus Brun's was at QB one of best ML QB's ever.

I'm going with MSML 14-7. MSML will finally give up a TD. But, they'll stratch out two hard-earned TDs for themselves.

So sorry if this has already been addressed earlier in this thread or in any other threads that I overlooked, but:
I was informed that Tiger's son, number 1, the QB, was a big kid starting as a freshman. So, I looked on the MaxPreps roster (I know, I know), and he was the only player on the roster that wasn't listed as (Sr, Jr, So, Fr). He was listed as (8th)!

I'm sure this can't be accurate, so please feel free to tell me to stay off MaxPreps. No other roster I found had him listed as an 8th grader, I'm assuming he is a freshman and MaxPreps is wrong again.

Yappi posters from ML and Kirtland have been respectful. It will be interesting to see if the players can ramp it up to that fine line of nastiness to block and tackle to the whistle but not loose their heads and get called for over a aggressiveness.

So sorry if this has already been addressed earlier in this thread or in any other threads that I overlooked, but:
I was informed that Tiger's son, number 1, the QB, was a big kid starting as a freshman. So, I looked on the MaxPreps roster (I know, I know), and he was the only player on the roster that wasn't listed as (Sr, Jr, So, Fr). He was listed as (8th)!

I'm sure this can't be accurate, so please feel free to tell me to stay off MaxPreps. No other roster I found had him listed as an 8th grader, I'm assuming he is a freshman and MaxPreps is wrong again.
Yeah MaxPreps is wrong. He is a freshman.

I don't see either team scoring in the 20s. It's going to be a field position game. The Kirtland running game and defense has been on point. They are playing as well right now as they have all year. The defense has executed the gameplan to perfection in the playoffs. This game could come down to a turnover, blown coverage or missed tackle. I could be wrong but when looking for a flaw I don't see any in either team.

Yappi posters from ML and Kirtland have been respectful. It will be interesting to see if the players can ramp it up to that fine line of nastiness to block and tackle to the whistle but not loose their heads and get called for over a aggressiveness.
The other 3 times they played each other in championship games both teams were ramped up, yet played clean

Also I would say both teams always put forth max effort, no matter the opponent…and both coaches don’t tolerate bad sportsmanship

Based on digital scouts stats, they were not able to run on Marion Local…New Bremen rushed 28 times for 70 yards.

I don’t know anything about New Bremen, but I do wonder if they can run the ball like Kirtland🤔.
Negative, Kirtland is a different animal. New Bremen is great at what they do but their run schemes are very different, and as you're well aware Kirtland will take its 3-4 yards and just keep chugging along. Most teams just don't do that.

Based on digital scouts stats, they were not able to run on Marion Local…New Bremen rushed 28 times for 70 yards.

I don’t know anything about New Bremen, but I do wonder if they can run the ball like Kirtland🤔.

They can't run like Kirtland but New Bremen with Homan can't be underestimated. You Kirtland guys remember how good Versailles was last year and New Bremen only lost by 5 points to them and 8 points to MSML laat year This year NB seems to be up n down and hard to predict but when that offense is clicking they are tough.

They can't run like Kirtland but New Bremen with Homan can't be underestimated. You Kirtland guys remember how good Versailles was last year and New Bremen only lost by 5 points to them and 8 points to MSML laat year This year NB seems to be up n down and hard to predict but when that offense is clicking they are tough.
Also remember that Kirtland had possibly their worst half of football in years against Versailles. The Hornets went into panic mode and started running Gage Sullivan. They were also a bit dingged up. Kirtland was coming on strong at the end of the game. If they had a few more minutes the outcome could have been different. That being said Versailles did what was needed to get that big W and end the Hornets long win streak. I feel Kirtland is about as healthy as possible with the exception of Alferi who is bothered by a sore knee. He is a tough kid who did not allow the knee to effect his play very much last week.

Just saw this stat in the paper (keeping in mind that Kirtland will be facing the best offense and defense they have all year in Marion Local)…thru 15 games this year, the Hornets have given up 653 yards rushing

Just saw this stat in the paper (keeping in mind that Kirtland will be facing the best offense and defense they have all year in Marion Local)…thru 15 games this year, the Hornets have given up 653 yards rushing
Idk what the figure is now after the playoffs. But during the regular season Marion gave up 598 yards and 1 rushing touchdown. Somethings gotta give or we're going to be sitting in the stands for a while lol

My prediction got a little extreme yesterday, but in all seriousness, this game may be determined by the weather more than we would like to see happen. Calm and 40 or above and I like Marion's chances, wet, windy and below 40 I will predict Kirtland.

My prediction got a little extreme yesterday, but in all seriousness, this game may be determined by the weather more than we would like to see happen. Calm and 40 or above and I like Marion's chances, wet, windy and below 40 I will predict Kirtland.
Can I ask how you came to those determinations?

Can I ask how you came to those determinations?
From a historical perspective Marion relies on a balanced offensive attack, while kirtland prefers the three yards and a turf burn. Kirtland has struck me in years past as a team well equipped to protect the ball in inclimate weather, while Marion generally does as well but has had trouble with turnovers in poor conditions.

Mine is an anecdotal view, I have no solid stats to back it up.

From a historical perspective Marion relies on a balanced offensive attack, while kirtland prefers the three yards and a turf burn. Kirtland has struck me in years past as a team well equipped to protect the ball in inclimate weather, while Marion generally does as well but has had trouble with turnovers in poor conditions.

Mine is an anecdotal view, I have no solid stats to back it up.
Respectable answer 👍

Generally, it doesn't spell doom if the opponent scores first. However, in this particular game, given how solid these two defenses are, being down by a score of 0-7 is not going to be an enviable position. Either of these defenses, having a 7-0 lead in their favor, are really going to ramp up the pressure on the opposing offense, and that offense is going to start feeling it, especially if they don't answer that score right away.

it is really very cool to read these respectful comments about both of these ballclubs...................
d-1 thru d -3 ......... too many cheap shots..........
I could be wrong but it appears to me this is common place with the smaller division schools that threads are respectful.

Last year it was the same on the Kirtland/Versailles thread. Both years before that the same on the Kirtland/Ironton threads. Same this year on the South Range/Ironton thread. I would imagine it’s the same on all the MAC threads.