Division III-The Regionals

I hope my post above indicated that I don't resent the Nubians at all. They play where the OHSAA tells them to play. They should be playing in DI but that's not in their control.

It's true that kids at Hiland also have advantages that A.C. kids don't, but the main one is they have possibly the best girls HS coach in the country. OTOH, every time they step on the floor with A.C. they are at a talent disadvantage. In any athletic contest, size, strength, speed, and athleticism is the trump card. Hiland's coach can do all kinds of things to keep his team in the game and win, but if talent is the deciding factor - which it almost always is - all the other advantages a team like Hiland has don't matter.

I think the resentment comes when you put two teams on the floor to compete and it's obvious that the one is drastically different than the other. But that's not an Africentric problem. They shouldn't have to apologize for what they are. It is an OHSAA problem for essentially telling us they are the same - or at least comparable - based on enrollment numbers. It's a joke.

Do you actually know Africentric enrollment numbers? They're no where near D1 numbers and shouldn't be.

Do you actually know Africentric enrollment numbers? They're no where near D1 numbers and shouldn't be.

So...how do they have DIV 1 players every year. Just seems suspicious doesn't it? Hmmmmmm...how could that be?

Well Africentric is in Columbus so that's where the players live. If they where in Cleveland or Cincinnai they would probably go to a school in that city. Like I said all those girls went to Africentric in middle school or AIMS which is a downtown middle school. No 3 team in nation and but a top ten D1 team by 43 at their place. Also beat Pickerington Central (who will win D1) in a foundation game on Nov 24th by 5. Also the OHSAA has given the rural places a chance with the transfer rules and competitive balance in place. Africentric should be D4 actually.

Kind of reminds me of the OJ Mayo deal..but just never ends..happens year after year after year.

Kind of reminds me of the Catholic school situation in Cincinnati. Those schools recruit hard in the Cincinnati area and have consistently strong athletic programs. But because it's a whole league that's doing this the effect is tempered, and the playing field is somewhat level, both within the league and statewide. Not the best situation, but at least tolerable. And most of the schools are D1.

In Columbus, though, there is but one school, Africentric, doing this recruiting. If there were a handful of schools doing this, spreading out the talent, the situation would be lessened. But that's not the case, and they play D3. When schools recruit, the size of the school becomes irrelevant, as their teams are not drawing from an existing student body but rather creating a specialized and overly talented one.

Kind of reminds me of the Catholic school situation in Cincinnati. Those schools recruit hard in the Cincinnati area and have consistently strong athletic programs. But because it's a whole league that's doing this the effect is tempered, and the playing field is somewhat level, both within the league and statewide. Not the best situation, but at least tolerable. And most of the schools are D1.

In Columbus, though, there is but one school, Africentric, doing this recruiting. If there were a handful of schools doing this, spreading out the talent, the situation would be lessened. But that's not the case, and they play D3. When schools recruit, the size of the school becomes irrelevant, as their teams are not drawing from an existing student body but rather creating a specialized and overly talented one.

Might as well be an AAu team.

Lol. You missed the big point.

Where teams should be slotted in a division should be based on their TALENT LEVEL, not based on enrollment.

The reason for that is a school like Africentric can have a limited enrollment while selecting talent from a large urban area while a rural school is fishing from a much less talented and smaller pond.

I hope my post above indicated that I don't resent the Nubians at all. They play where the OHSAA tells them to play. They should be playing in DI but that's not in their control.

It's true that kids at Hiland also have advantages that A.C. kids don't, but the main one is they have possibly the best girls HS coach in the country. OTOH, every time they step on the floor with A.C. they are at a talent disadvantage. In any athletic contest, size, strength, speed, and athleticism is the trump card. Hiland's coach can do all kinds of things to keep his team in the game and win, but if talent is the deciding factor - which it almost always is - all the other advantages a team like Hiland has don't matter.

I think the resentment comes when you put two teams on the floor to compete and it's obvious that the one is drastically different than the other. But that's not an Africentric problem. They shouldn't have to apologize for what they are. It is an OHSAA problem for essentially telling us they are the same - or at least comparable - based on enrollment numbers. It's a joke.

I believe you when you say you don't resent the Nubians but I think your analysis after doesn't really acknowledge that their coaching just might be pretty good also.

I'm everybit as skeptical of the system, find it difficult to choke down a "lottery" system that just happens to be won by middle school teammates or gets a transfer from a private school. That's not striking me as an openly honest description but it's not just "talent" that wins ball games against other good teams.

I like the idea of competitive balance, moving up those teams showing consistent state level performance because I believe that would be a system that better develops talent and creates leaders, people who can perform against equals. Building the biggest on the block and winning the block, really accomplishes nothing.

Well all state came out and I assume the people who vote know what players are all state. Seems like the school that is the topic of some post has 1 player period as a all state so we're is all the talent ?

Will McK is a good coach. No doubt. For sure.

What would be fun is to have Dave Schlabach coach at Africentric for a few years and Coach McK come up here and let us spoil him. Then see who can beat who with hissuns and youruns - as Bum Phillips once said about good coaches. :)

Might as well be an AAu team.

Berlin Hiland seems to have great talent every year on the tune of 16 final fours in their history. Don't see any post of you complaining about them. Wonder what that's about? I guess the great coaching? Africentric I guess doesn't deserve that credit cause they from the biggest city in Ohio. Girls want to go to schools that win. Berlin Hiland has built their tradition and so has Africentric. Respect it!!!

Apparently you don’t know how respect works, it’s earned. I can tell you to respect a Golf Ball but I doubt you will. If you can’t tell the difference between a team drawing from a population of close to a Million and a population of 10-15 thousand, I can’t help you.

31 to 26 at half. Game has gone pretty much as I expected. Africentric spurts off of turnovers, but Hiland closes the gap when they can take care of the ball and hits some shots.

Good second half in store or Africentric will spurt again, Hiland won't respond, and that will be the game. Hiland should be happy if the game is within reach after 3.

Apparently you don’t know how respect works, it’s earned. I can tell you to respect a Golf Ball but I doubt you will. If you can’t tell the difference between a team drawing from a population of close to a Million and a population of 10-15 thousand, I can’t help you.

Respect the program they built from the very few girls who go to their school. Less than 150 in the HS. They can’t help where they from just like the small towns. But you guys will never get because it’s inner city black girls. I never hear any thing about Pickerington, Mason. I respect what Hiland built you need to do same.

61-48 final. Hiland needed to play better than they did and get more than the usual amount of breaks. Didn't and the superior team won. Congrats Nubians. I think #8 is on tap.

Respect the program they built from the very few girls who go to their school. Less than 150 in the HS. They can’t help where they from just like the small towns. But you guys will never get because it’s inner city black girls. I never hear any thing about Pickerington, Mason. I respect what Hiland built you need to do same.

Brother, Hiland's program isn't built on talent. They have had a handful of kids that played mid major college basketball EVER. - U of Cin, Valpo, Cornell, BG, Lehigh. Half of those transferred down. None of their players get recruited by UCONN, Tenn, or even Ohio St. Last year they had a couple D2 college signees and a junior who had mid major to D2 potential. The junior didn't play her senior year due to injury. But that's why they almost beat the Nubians last year. That was the most talented team they had in many years, maybe ever, but that's arguable.

Since talent is rare and inconsistent, Dave controls what he can. They emphasize things like skill development, depth, fundamentals, strength thru weight training, etc. Dave also does some kind of Zen master mind comtrol motivation that i dont understand or want to try. Lol. But a lot of people watch them play and talk about how talented they are, but they are confusing talent with skill. If you timed and measured them running and jumping, you wouldn't be impressed in most cases.

But God-given athletic ability isn't hard to recognize. When players possess a high degree of it, it is obvious. So when you put two teams on the floor to compete and there is a gap in that talent, it is apparent. If folks get irritated with folks like you, it's because you seem to refuse to acknowledge what is right in front of us, and then insult them by implying that they don't want urban black girls to go to college - with the further implication is that they are racist. It's hard to discuss something when a reasonable point is made but nullified by that stink bomb.

My position would be that if the OHSAA slots Africentric in DI for tournament play, where they have proven they can compete, then Africentric is something that we all can celebrate as we should, and those who have a problem with them competing in the lower divisions can avoid being called vile racists. Seems like everyone wins in that scenario. :)

Um..small town teams go to the school..because they have to..Not because they chose to based on their girls basketball team. Mercy...you people.

Um..small town teams go to the school..because they have to..Not because they chose to based on their girls basketball team. Mercy...you people.

80%+ of Ohio public schools are open enrollment. The vast majority of kids don't HAVE to go to any certain school and don't. Competitive Balance number for Africentric was 20 and Hiland 14. Waynesville was 1 and Chippewa 6.

80%+ of Ohio public schools are open enrollment. The vast majority of kids don't HAVE to go to any certain school and don't. Competitive Balance number for Africentric was 20 and Hiland 14. Waynesville was 1 and Chippewa 6.

99% of public schools don't recruit.

You think kids leave Coldwater to go 4 miles down the road to St. Henry ?

99% of public schools don't recruit.

You think kids leave Coldwater to go 4 miles down the road to St. Henry ?

99%?? All the athletes from one district showing up at another is just coincidence?

Here's the Competitive balance numbers for the boys Div IV state finals (all public schools):
Crestview 4
St. Henry 6
Berlin Hiland 3
Richmond Heights 5

99%?? All the athletes from one district showing up at another is just coincidence?

Here's the Competitive balance numbers for the boys Div IV state finals (all public schools):
Crestview 4
St. Henry 6
Berlin Hiland 3
Richmond Heights 5

St. Henry's number kind of surprises me. Are you guys getting a few Montezuma area kids opting not to go to Celina ?

These things are reciprocal....Hiland has beaten them before so have we . The Nubians will not stay on top as long as Hiland has despite who they bring in and how they do it. Look at Minster, they have found a way to dominant may different sports. Use their example and you will be successful for a long time. And you can forget them moving up to D1 that’s a can of worms you don’t want to open up.

Black people? I’m guessing that’s who you’re implying to as you people? Who is the bitter one? Everything you post is complaining about inner city schools.