Division III State Semifinal: Region 10 #1 Holy Name Green Wave (11-2) vs Region 9 #2 Canfield Cardinals (12-1) at Euclid Community Stadium

Who wins this Division III State Semifinal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

simkon

These teams have never met previously. Holy Name blew out their archrival Padua Franciscan Bruins in the region 10 final, while they narrowly defeated the Mansfield Tygers the previous week. Holy Name also defeated their rival in week 1 as well while they fell to Elyria Catholic and Clyde in the following 2 weeks for their two defeats.
Meanwhile Canfield won narrowly over Chardon who had knocked them out of the playoffs the previous two seasons. The previous 2 weeks Canfield got by the Ursuline Fighting Irish and Aurora Greenmen to set up this semifinal match up. Canfield's lone defeat was to Chaney, who fell to Kenston in the playoffs after playing without their star wide receiver and DB.
Will Holy Name's offensive attack be able to solve Canfield's defense, and will Holy Name be able to keep Broc Lowry out of the end zone?

Last edited:

I believe Chardon kept Lowry out of the endzone. Chardon had a virtual for sure TD pass dropped on a go route up the seam with 3 mins left that would have tied the game. And I think Holy Name may have a bit too much offense for Canfields limited offense to overcome.

Actually after watching the Chardon/Kenston game and part of the Chardon/Canfield game, i actually think Kenston may have beat Canfield. Canfield secondary was beat multiple times, but Chardons O-line is fairly young from what ive been told and green behind the ears when it comes to pass blocking, QB missed some opportunities down field. Kenston passing game is definitely above average.

Chardon’s offense is not that good. Championship defense, yes, but offense, not even close. Canfield could win DIII, because this Division is down. I’m sure I’ll get drilled for saying that, but it is what it is. Canfield won 14-7 against a Chardon offense that is average at best.

These teams have never met previously. Holy Name blew out their archrival Padua Franciscan Bruins in the region 10 final, while they narrowly defeated the Mansfield Tygers the previous week. Holy Name also defeated their rival in week 1 as well while they fell to Elyria Catholic and Clyde in the following 2 weeks for their two defeats.
Meanwhile Canfield won narrowly over Chardon who had knocked them out of the playoffs the previous two seasons. The previous 2 weeks Canfield got by the Ursuline Fighting Irish and Aurora Greenmen to set up this semifinal match up. Canfield's lone defeat was to Chaney, who fell to Kenston in the playoffs after playing without their star wide receiver and DB.
Will Holy Name's offensive attack be able to solve Canfield's defense, and will Holy Name be able to keep Broc Lowry out of the end zone?
This should be a good game because it seems like style-wise, these two teams seem to play the same way. Not that these types of things mean much, here are some numbers for each school:

Overall PPG
Canfield (12-1) – 31.6
Holy Name (11-2) – 30.8

Overall Points allowed per game
Canfield – 11.5
Holy Name – 14.7

Record against teams with 7-plus wins
Canfield – 5-1
Holy Name – 7-2

PPG against teams with 7-plus wins
Canfield – 27.5
Holy Name – 27.0

Points allowed against teams with 7-plus wins
Canfield – 17.5
Holy Name – 17.3

These numbers are eerily similar. Where Canfield has the advantage is playing a little bit tougher schedule at the top. Using the fantastic50 rankings, here are the records against some different overall tiers (this I believe has not been updated since last week):

Top 50 overall (all divisions)
Canfield – 1-0
Holy Name – 0-0

Top 100
Canfield – 4-1
Holy Name – 1-0

Top 150
Canfield – 6-1
Holy Name – 4-1

Top 200
Canfield – 7-1
Holy Name – 6-2

Canfield has a great record against teams rated in the top 100, compared to Holy Name that has only faced one team (Mansfield) there. Once you go out to Top 150 it starts to even; then top 200 both teams are at eight opponents. No doubt Canfield has played the better schedule, and has the better record overall despite that, but once you get out a little further, both teams have played solid schedules.

This seems like a game between two teams that don't mind getting into a low-scoring slugfest, so it would not shock me in the least if it's a first to 20 type game. With that, Canfield looks a little more battle tested, especially since four of Holy Name's toughest games were against two teams ... Padua and Elyria Catholic (3-1 in those). Both are solid teams but Holy Name's two biggest rivals, so kind of toss the records out types. So, Canfield has played/beaten a wider array of quality opponents. Plus, Region 9 was much tougher overall than Region 10.

With that, I'm not going to rule out Holy Name in this one. They are a team that relies at dictating a game at their pace. If they can do that, they have a couple of game-breakers on offense who are capable of breaking off the big play or two that may be needed to win in a close contest.

This should be a good game because it seems like style-wise, these two teams seem to play the same way. Not that these types of things mean much, here are some numbers for each school:

Overall PPG
Canfield (12-1) – 31.6
Holy Name (11-2) – 30.8

Overall Points allowed per game
Canfield – 11.5
Holy Name – 14.7

Record against teams with 7-plus wins
Canfield – 5-1
Holy Name – 7-2

PPG against teams with 7-plus wins
Canfield – 27.5
Holy Name – 27.0

Points allowed against teams with 7-plus wins
Canfield – 17.5
Holy Name – 17.3

These numbers are eerily similar. Where Canfield has the advantage is playing a little bit tougher schedule at the top. Using the fantastic50 rankings, here are the records against some different overall tiers (this I believe has not been updated since last week):

Top 50 overall (all divisions)
Canfield – 1-0
Holy Name – 0-0

Top 100
Canfield – 4-1
Holy Name – 1-0

Top 150
Canfield – 6-1
Holy Name – 4-1

Top 200
Canfield – 7-1
Holy Name – 6-2

Canfield has a great record against teams rated in the top 100, compared to Holy Name that has only faced one team (Mansfield) there. Once you go out to Top 150 it starts to even; then top 200 both teams are at eight opponents. No doubt Canfield has played the better schedule, and has the better record overall despite that, but once you get out a little further, both teams have played solid schedules.

This seems like a game between two teams that don't mind getting into a low-scoring slugfest, so it would not shock me in the least if it's a first to 20 type game. With that, Canfield looks a little more battle tested, especially since four of Holy Name's toughest games were against two teams ... Padua and Elyria Catholic (3-1 in those). Both are solid teams but Holy Name's two biggest rivals, so kind of toss the records out types. So, Canfield has played/beaten a wider array of quality opponents. Plus, Region 9 was much tougher overall than Region 10.

With that, I'm not going to rule out Holy Name in this one. They are a team that relies at dictating a game at their pace. If they can do that, they have a couple of game-breakers on offense who are capable of breaking off the big play or two that may be needed to win in a close contest.
Canfield should roll. Region 10 has been sub par at beat for 3 seasons. Should be the case again, but DIII is down this season, which may make this game slightly closer. Canfield 35, Holy Name 14. Take it to the bank.

Canfield should roll. Region 10 has been sub par at beat for 3 seasons. Should be the case again, but DIII is down this season, which may make this game slightly closer. Canfield 35, Holy Name 14. Take it to the bank.
Blah, blah, blah. Canfield may roll and DIII may be down, but it's always easier for homers (and yes you are coming across as one right now) to say that when your team loses. Would you be saying that if Chardon won tonight and was still in line for a three-peat?

DIII Region 9 might be one of the best divisions in all of the state…and that was before they landed Ursuline. DIII was loaded this year and that is a terrible take.

Blah, blah, blah. Canfield may roll and DIII may be down, but it's always easier for homers (and yes you are coming across as one right now) to say that when your team loses. Would you be saying that if Chardon won tonight and was still in line for a three-peat?
💯 percent I’d be saying that. If you look back at my posts all season, I’ve been saying it since Week 5. DIII is down, Chardon was decent this season and nothing special, and Region 10 is not very good.

Region 10, man -- yeah, it's not good at all. Right up there with Region 13, IMO, for "meh". Looking at Holy Name's schedule, it's hard to believe they'll beat Canfield on that body of work. But, maybe they're playing much better.

Anyway, it's never wise to predict based purely on schedules without looking at how the teams match up. At this point in the season, you should assume all the teams are pretty good. But, I like Canfield by a fair margin.

I believe Chardon kept Lowry out of the endzone. Chardon had a virtual for sure TD pass dropped on a go route up the seam with 3 mins left that would have tied the game. And I think Holy Name may have a bit too much offense for Canfields limited offense to overcome.
Canfield limited one of the best scoring offenses in the state no matter the division last week in Ursuline. I would find it hard to believe that Holy Name has the athletes or the talent of that Ursuline team.

Someone explain how since Badin and Chardon lost D3 is down? Sounds wide open with equal competition which lines up for excellent final 4 games.

Someone explain how since Badin and Chardon lost D3 is down? Sounds wide open with equal competition which lines up for excellent final 4 games.
I think last year Canfield, Chardon and Badin were all better than they are this year. The top 3 teams in D-III last year are all not as good as they are this year while the rest of D-III is roughly the same, the difference is there is not as much of a gap between the top teams and the rest of the teams this year. So the division as a whole has been more competitive overall, but the best teams in D-III this year are not playing at the same level as the top few teams last year.
The difference in the outcome of the Chardon game was their offense was not playing at the same level as last year, Canfield didn't play better or do anything to win, as much as Chardon was worse. Granted that the fumble turned all the momentum in favor of Chardon last year, and had it not happened it is very possible Canfield could have narrowly won.
Last year the three best teams were Chardon, Badin and Canfield. This year the three best teams are probably Canfield, Tipp and Chardon, with Ursuline 4th, Badin 5th and possibly Kenston 6th.

OHSAA should strongly consider changing this game location after the events last night. Metal detectors serve no purpose in that lovely city if you disregard them going off like they did a week ago. Then add gun shots last night. Wouldn't be headed there again if my team was in it

The favorites lose and all of a sudden the whole division is down???...hilarious! Division got better by a country mile with the addition of ursuline. The way your talking about chardon,you sound like you mean chardon was down this year...I don't think that btw,I think the division just got better

Last edited:
Region 9 was down compared to the last 3 years. There were times in the last 3 seasons when 7 of the top 10-12 in the state rankings were from region 9. The addition of the privates this year weakened Region 9 overall. Yeah, Ursuline was good and Chardon Canfield also good. But adding Gilmour, CVCA, VASJ, Hawken and US softened the region.
Losing Steubenville (how they ever were put in region 9 is still puzzling), Hubbard, SVSM, undefeated Dover and Streetsboro (loaded up with Akron city kids and Mike Hall) made for a weaker region and yes Division. Those 5 were better overall than anything added in the region this year. Tallmadge and Aurora were both state ranked in those years also. I think they were both a little down this year.
As I posted earlier, and Hewitt stated in his post-game interview, Chardon was going to have trouble with all the youngsters on the offensive line against a team like Canfield. He said something to the effect of "18 year olds vs freshman/sophomores".
Of course, these things are cyclical. Division 2 is a monster this year. So many good teams and arguably tougher than D1. No way division 3 got better this year.

Last edited:
Lol about the metal detectors....then tell me why I set it off last Friday, police didn't pay attention, and I was waived thru? Go read about last night on the Mentor thread a week after my occurrence. Shouldn't put any third party games here at this point until they take security seriously in that city environment

Canfield didn't play better or do anything to win,
Ridiculous take. Canfield's defense has proven again and again against high-power offenses that they are a top defense in all of Ohio. Give credit where credit is due man. They game planned extremely well and stopped Chardon. End of discussion.

Ridiculous take. Canfield's defense has proven again and again against high-power offenses that they are a top defense in all of Ohio. Give credit where credit is due man. They game planned extremely well and stopped Chardon. End of discussion.
As evidenced by the previous game against Kenston, Chardon's offense is simply not as good this year as last. I call it as it is, everyone accuses me of being biased, but I will say the truth without regard to offending anyone, what anyone else will think or say, without regard to which team I like or don't like. I am definitely pleased with the result but just because I am a Canfield fan, won't make me say something favorable about Canfield that simply isn't true. Canfield played at about the same level or slightly worse than they played against Chardon last year. Chardon's offense played at a considerably lower level than they played against Canfield last year. Chardon's offense clearly did not perform at the same level this year as last and I am sure a lot of Chardon posters will corroborate this fact.

Euclid stadium is a great venue. I went to both Ursuline 's and Springfield Local Final 4 games and had zero issues.

Canfield wins this game.