Division I boys schedule tonight (Oct. 17)

ccalum

Not too many strong matchups. Milford-Moeller is probably the best in Cincy, and maybe Wayne-Xenia in Dayton.

Walnut Hills (#14) vs. Winton Woods (#27) 7:00 p.m. Walnut Hills H.S.
Sycamore (#8) vs. Northwest (#30) 7:00 p.m. Sycamore H.S.
Oak Hills (#19) vs. Turpin (#7) 7:00 p.m. Turpin H.S.
Anderson (#2) vs. Western Hills (#31) 7:00 p.m. Anderson H.S.
Princeton (#20) vs. Loveland (#22) 7:00 p.m. Princeton H.S.
Edgewood (#24) vs. Withrow (#29) 7:00 p.m. Edgewood H.S.
Lebanon (#13) vs. Colerain (#21) 7:00 p.m. Lebanon H.S.
Little Miami (#26) vs. Amelia (#28) 7:00 p.m. Little Miami H.S.
Milford (#14) vs. Moeller (#9) 5:00 p.m. Moeller H.S.
Hamilton (#10) vs. Harrison (#25) 7:00 p.m. Hamilton H.S.
Wilmington (#23) vs. Middletown (#18) 7:00 p.m. Middletown H.S.
Kings (#16) vs. Talawanda (#17) 7:00 p.m. Kings H.S.

Bellefontaine (#14) vs. Springfield (#19) 7:00 p.m. Bellefontaine H.S.
Northmont (#8) vs. W. Carrollton (#18) 7:00 p.m. Northmont H.S.
Greenville (#11) vs. Miamisburg (#12) 7:00 p.m. Greenville H.S.
Troy (#4) vs. Fairborn (#16) 7:00 p.m. Troy H.S.
Springboro (#2) vs. Stebbins (#17) 7:00 p.m. Springboro H.S.
Tecumseh (#10) vs. Piqua (#15) 7:00 p.m. Tecumseh H.S.
Xenia (#7) vs. Wayne (#13) 7:00 p.m. Xenia H.S.
Centerville (#3) vs. Sidney (#9) 7:00 p.m. Centerville H.S.

Any update on the Moeller vs. Milford score? If that game was to go to OT and then PK's they could be in trouble since Moeller's field has no lights.

Milford upsets Moeller 1-0
Milford missed 2 easy breakaway goals in the first half. Moeller dominated the second half and had one shot that hit the crossbar other than that Milford's keeper made several nice saves to record the shutout.

Hamilton knocks off Harrison 4-3 in OT. Apparently a terribly reffed contest. Harrison awarded 2 pk's and a missed offside call accounting for all three of their goals.

Milford missed 2 easy breakaway goals in the first half. Moeller dominated the second half and had one shot that hit the crossbar other than that Milford's keeper made several nice saves to record the shutout.

Should be a good game Thursday between Milford and Hamilton @ Hamilton.

Colerain -1
Lebanon -0

Wilmington -3
Middletown -1

Nortwest -0
Sycamore -9

Edgewood -4
Withrow -1

Princeton -0
Loveland -3

Hamilton knocks off Harrison 4-3 in OT. Apparently a terribly reffed contest. Harrison awarded 2 pk's and a missed offside call accounting for all three of their goals.

2 Pk's converted for Harrison. 1 was handling in the box...a no brainer referee was right there. On the 2nd one, the defender flattened the Harrison striker from behind well into the box...warranted a card. Both PK's were legit calls.

Hamilton benefited from a PK as well in the game. Another obvious call.

Lots of calls (both ways) get missed when you run a 2 man ref system in Sectionals. Tough for 2 guys to keep up with the speed of play and see everything going on at all times.

The final OT goal was a bullet on a very fast counter attack. Good luck to Hamilton.

Centerville beat Sidney 4 to 1. My first time watching Sidney. That is a below average team had two solid players and a couple of average players That's it, they hustled and worked hard. The freshmann kid that has been scoring a bunch of goals is a big, strong fast kid but he needs to get a lot better to be anything special, a phenom he is not, if he was at Centerville, Mason or Beavercreek he would be on JVA team his freshman year. He basically runs at people with the ball and a solid defender will stuff him pretty much every time. I am sure against Trotwood he looks like a stud. Centerville was only leading one zip at halftime which is embarrassing to say the least. #12 had a couple of great shots that finished off Sidney in the second half.

Moeller Dominated the entire game. And no I am not a Moeller Fan. I do not know what game you saw but Moeller had 30+ chances to score tonight and missed every single one many just pure swings and misses. I saw 3 shots hit the post for Moeller one in First half two in second. Moeller had 20 chances inside the 18 yd box and 10 others just outside missed every single one including 5-6 inside the 6. I counted three good chances for Milford all game two in first and a breakaway late in game with 2 min left. The milford keeper did make several good saves but if Moeller got their foot on any of the wide open chances they could have had 4-5 goals. This one has to sting for the Moeller fans.

Moeller Dominated the entire game. And no I am not a Moeller Fan. I do not know what game you saw but Moeller had 30+ chances to score tonight and missed every single one many just pure swings and misses. I saw 3 shots hit the post for Moeller one in First half two in second. Moeller had 20 chances inside the 18 yd box and 10 others just outside missed every single one including 5-6 inside the 6. I counted three good chances for Milford all game two in first and a breakaway late in game with 2 min left. The milford keeper did make several good saves but if Moeller got their foot on any of the wide open chances they could have had 4-5 goals. This one has to sting for the Moeller fans.

Ouch. Tough way to go out.

2 Pk's converted for Harrison. 1 was handling in the box...a no brainer referee was right there. On the 2nd one, the defender flattened the Harrison striker from behind well into the box...warranted a card. Both PK's were legit calls.

Hamilton benefited from a PK as well in the game. Another obvious call.

Lots of calls (both ways) get missed when you run a 2 man ref system in Sectionals. Tough for 2 guys to keep up with the speed of play and see everything going on at all times.

The final OT goal was a bullet on a very fast counter attack. Good luck to Hamilton.

I agree that the 2 ref system is terrible. Is it that they can't get enough refs to run the usual 3 ref system for the 1st round?

I must have been getting skewed info on the reffing from the game, lol. What was your take on Harrison's 2nd goal? I heard it was a blown offside call.

I agree that the 2 ref system is terrible. Is it that they can't get enough refs to run the usual 3 ref system for the 1st round?

I must have been getting skewed info on the reffing from the game, lol. What was your take on Harrison's 2nd goal? I heard it was a blown offside call.

OHSAA has two different classes for referees, Class 2 and 1.
OHSAA only allows Class 1 officials to officiate tournament matches.

I don't have the official numbers, but from what I can see there are about 200 Class 1 and 160 Class 2 officials in the Southwest District.
Of those 200 though, you have to meet certain requirements to be eligible for tournament matches and then you need to be available.

By my count there were 49 matches played last night in the Southwest District which would have required 147 officials to be available to run a 3 man system on each match. The only way that they will ever be able to meet that is if OHSAA changes the requirement of being a Class 1 official to work a tournament match. The requirement could be that only Class 1 officials can be a Referee and the Class 2 officials can only be Assistant Referees.

Using a 2 man system on any tournament matches is not only a dis-service to the teams playing but also to the referees working the match.
The referees are now asked to work a system that some may not have worked all year long (if the official has only worked as a Referee on Varsity matches only) and have to call and control a match with one less person, the inability to get good angles on play and at a further distance than what the games have been called all season long.
The referees are in a no win situation when it comes to this current system.

2 system does work when you have 2 quality officials. We had it last night, we lost 3-2. The officials did an admiral job keeping up the game.

But it can be hard to have 2 quality officials at the same game, as in a few regular season games we had this year.

Edit:

We always have 3 at our all home games. Nobody else in the league does.

I don't have the official numbers, but from what I can see there are about 200 Class 1 and 160 Class 2 officials in the Southwest District.
Of those 200 though, you have to meet certain requirements to be eligible for tournament matches and then you need to be available.

By my count there were 49 matches played last night in the Southwest District which would have required 147 officials to be available to run a 3 man system on each match. The only way that they will ever be able to meet that is if OHSAA changes the requirement of being a Class 1 official to work a tournament match. The requirement could be that only Class 1 officials can be a Referee and the Class 2 officials can only be Assistant Referees.

Using a 2 man system on any tournament matches is not only a dis-service to the teams playing but also to the referees working the match.
The referees are now asked to work a system that some may not have worked all year long (if the official has only worked as a Referee on Varsity matches only) and have to call and control a match with one less person, the inability to get good angles on play and at a further distance than what the games have been called all season long.

Hopefully one of the requirements is you do not award goals during halftime. Just a thought. That would rule out at least one ref. HA

Who decides whether these HS refs are class 1 or 2, Ray Charles? I've seen a ton of HS soccer the last several years and not sure how there are even close to 200 Class 1 HS refs. We had a ref earlier this year call every slide tackle a foul...his explanation "They are on the ground". How does this guy dress himself in the morning without help? Refs need to be evaluated by an independent committee. Physical fitness should be one of the requirements, some of the refs I've seen couldn't run 10 feet without being out of breath. I'd also like to see having played the game be a requirement (at least to get a Class 1 rating). Having played the game gives them the players perspective and IMO a better understanding of what is/is not a foul. They are not volunteers, they are getting paid (well IMO). Just hate to see a team's season end due to a ref's bad call(s). Tough pill to swallow for these kids. If they get outplayed and lose that is fine, but to get shafted by the officials is unacceptable.

Who decides whether these HS refs are class 1 or 2, Ray Charles? I've seen a ton of HS soccer the last several years and not sure how there are even close to 200 Class 1 HS refs. We had a ref earlier this year call every slide tackle a foul...his explanation "They are on the ground". How does this guy dress himself in the morning without help? Refs need to be evaluated by an independent committee. Physical fitness should be one of the requirements, some of the refs I've seen couldn't run 10 feet without being out of breath. I'd also like to see having played the game be a requirement (at least to get a Class 1 rating). Having played the game gives them the players perspective and IMO a better understanding of what is/is not a foul. They are not volunteers, they are getting paid (well IMO). Just hate to see a team's season end due to a ref's bad call(s). Tough pill to swallow for these kids. If they get outplayed and lose that is fine, but to get shafted by the officials is unacceptable.

When I first joined OHSAA 13 years ago, I started out as a Class 1 official just by turning in a letter from an assigner saying that I had X amount of experience reffing outside of HS. Honestly, there was absolutely no vetting of this info so no one within OHSAA would have known if it were true or not. Then all that I had to do was take an open book exam and attend rules meetings.
Most, if not all, new officials now start out as a Class 2. To be able to upgrade officials have to get letters of recommendation and take a test. I'm not sure if there are any other requirements beyond that.
There has been a push in recent years to institute fitness requirements but OHSAA will not mandate this. There has also been an attempt within our local association to get some of the top officials to volunteer to be assessors to evaluate officials but OHSAA will not financially support any such program so it is difficult to get many people to volunteer their time.
Believe me, there is a core group of people who put in a ton of work all around Ohio trying to make the officiating better but it is very difficult without the backing and support of OHSAA.

If there's that amount of shortage, then I would assume Class 2 would be sufficient to be an AR. Offsides is a tough call with only 2 refs.

When I first joined OHSAA 13 years ago, I started out as a Class 1 official just by turning in a letter from an assigner saying that I had X amount of experience reffing outside of HS. Honestly, there was absolutely no vetting of this info so no one within OHSAA would have known if it were true or not. Then all that I had to do was take an open book exam and attend rules meetings.
Most, if not all, new officials now start out as a Class 2. To be able to upgrade officials have to get letters of recommendation and take a test. I'm not sure if there are any other requirements beyond that.
There has been a push in recent years to institute fitness requirements but OHSAA will not mandate this. There has also been an attempt within our local association to get some of the top officials to volunteer to be assessors to evaluate officials but OHSAA will not financially support any such program so it is difficult to get many people to volunteer their time.
Believe me, there is a core group of people who put in a ton of work all around Ohio trying to make the officiating better but it is very difficult without the backing and support of OHSAA.

Figures that OHSAA wouldn't approve the money to make things better, just keep it as the status quo. I've heard rumors the last few years that there is also a "good old boys network" as well. Obviously I can't substantiate those, but have heard from more than one official.

Kudos to you for trying to make it better.

Figures that OHSAA wouldn't approve the money to make things better, just keep it as the status quo. I've heard rumors the last few years that there is also a "good old boys network" as well. Obviously I can't substantiate those, but have heard from more than one official.

Kudos to you for trying to make it better.

There has been some changes to tournament assigning this year so some of the good 'ol boys network has gone away but I would assume that not all of it has. It will be interesting to see who are on the finals this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 man system saves the OHSAA $$$..bottom line. They get their inflated gate even from toddlers.

Tough to argue offside when there are bodies mashed together at about the 6...offensive and defensive players all scrapping for the ball. Player who netted it was outside of the mix and just tapped the ball in for an easy score.

Officials did hustle...just tough to see it all. Worst call, in my opinion, was not red carding the player who tackled the Harrison striker from behind in the box when he was last defender. Ref response to players was "You got a PK, what more do you want"....uhhh wrong answer. 1v1 with the keeper without the foul.

It was an exciting game, either team could have walked out the winner.

There has been some changes to tournament assigning this year so some of the good 'ol boys network has gone away but I would assume that not all of it has. It will be interesting to see who are on the finals this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at the reality and the politics behind the reality with as much clarity as you do.... Is the way to a better system. Bravo and much respect.