Division 2 Region 8 playoff discussion

But at some point, SAP seemed to confuse La Salle moms with someone else
Sorry. I'm old with a lot of life experience. Nothing particularly unique about the characterization, and not a jab about LaSalle moms in particular. It's universal among the middle and upper middle class whether private or public, especially two-parent aspirational families. And I've got family at Walnut Ridge, so it's an honest sociological perspective about the reality for kids there and not a stereotype created by a distant outsider. Through St Vincent de Paul, we've helped a few families in that area, and I've sat in their homes listening to them.

That's all good from a football perspective, but let's look at it another way.

Walnut Ridge is a school full of kids who have had few advantages in life. Many of them come from single parent, low income rental homes maintained by indifferent and neglectful landlords. Many of them have one or two parents with criminal records and/or substance abuse issues. Many of them have spent time institutionalized in one way or another in the child welfare system. Some of them are gifted athletically and will be able to parlay that blessing into a better life. Some of them are gifted academically or artisticly and will be to rise above where they came from. However, the majority of them are poor with average or lower than average intelligence and little to no social capital who are doomed to a life of abject poverty or just getting by poverty. Many of them will be making the poor choices that lead to a life of poverty before they finish high school. Nearly none of them will be present at a week 12 playoff game to cheer on their classmates. Besides not having any way to get to the game nor the extra cash to pay the price for gas, food, parking and admission, many of them feel maybe just a tiny tinge of subconscious resentment for the players having an edge in escaping poverty. The players worked hard and put together an unbelievable undefeated season against similar opponents. Did they start lifting daily in a disciplined and well-supervised fashion in December or January in a well-equipped weight room. No. They did not. Did the captains get them all together throughout the spring to run drills and conditioning exercises. No they did not. Did any of them spend time at the local D-1 training academy. No they did not. This isn't the high school football that GCL families know and understand. It's city league ball, and a lot of the success is attributed to just extraordinary natural talent. These kids didn't have the resources to move five miles east and play for Reynoldsburg or Pickerington. But some of their friends did. These kids didn't have the academic chops or the behavior to go three miles west and play for Hartley. But some of their friends did. In week 2, they played a game 13 miles away at Watkins Memorial which was as far away and alien as Bellbrook. They played them away last season too. There aren't a lot of schools who want to play a game at Walnut Ridge. If you take an average Licking County person and dropped them off at the corner of Hamilton and Livingston with the instructions to walk a mile east to Walnut Ridge, they'd be terrified for their lives - even in broad daylight. And their field is terrible. So they've probably watched a little film on LaSalle. They probably have a sense that they don't have a chance. But they won't care. That's not a new feeling. They've felt it their whole lives. Even if they've read any of the discussion here about the inferiority of just playing a city league schedule, they won't care. They're just going to go out and play their game. Lancer mommies can worry for a few hours on Friday that their little prodigy might get beat up by some dirty thug, but on Saturday morning she can go back to fretting about girlfriends who might get pregnant, what college the kid is getting into, and whether he's had the right connections to become a corporate executive some day. If you guys outmatch them to the degree that us armchair experts think you will, then I hope you guys have a tiny feeling of a preferential option for the poor and all them lofty ideals and have the decency to ease up maybe just a little bit before it gets to a running clock. These kids have already been beaten up by life. Surely you have a couple dive plays in your repertoire. And if it gets to it, show a little self mastery and don't get chippy back.
You're making it seem like LaSalle has never seen anything like this before. Many kids try to attend LS to get out of the situations you have been talking about. Thats the great thing about LaSalle, they welcome anyone who wants to be apart of something great. You cant assume that that every kids that attends LaSalle, that their life is all sunshine and rainbows. Many kids there have faced adversity one way or another. Will be a great game but LS with a running clock again in this one.

Many kids try to attend LS to get out of the situations you have been talking about. Thats the great thing about LaSalle, they welcome anyone who wants to be apart of something great. You cant assume that that every kids that attends LaSalle, that their life is all sunshine and rainbows. Many kids there have faced adversity one way or another.
Yes. I'm familiar with the school and the tradition. Have a few cousins and nephews who attended Calvert Hall in Baltimore. I've always admired the brothers, and I'm a fan from afar of you guys. And you helped Hartley get its house system up and running, so we've had a good partnership with you. I'm aware that you've got an elevated sense of decency, and that is the only reason I posted an appeal to it. I understand that not everybody buys into the social justice principles of the brothers and would like to see an absolute blowout. I've sat in the stands with similar fans in similar games yelling crap like don't take your foot off the gas and whatnot. I get it. It's football. It's not a charity event, and it ain't about feelings.

Sorry. I'm old with a lot of life experience. Nothing particularly unique about the characterization, and not a jab about LaSalle moms in particular. It's universal among the middle and upper middle class whether private or public, especially two-parent aspirational families. And I've got family at Walnut Ridge, so it's an honest sociological perspective about the reality for kids there and not a stereotype created by a distant outsider. Through St Vincent de Paul, we've helped a few families in that area, and I've sat in their homes listening to them.

Goctha!

Yes, I'd be absolutely stunned if LS was disrespectful to WR in any way. That's not to say the teenagers on the field won't get chippy during a hotly contested game.

That's all good from a football perspective, but let's look at it another way.

Walnut Ridge is a school full of kids who have had few advantages in life. Many of them come from single parent, low income rental homes maintained by indifferent and neglectful landlords. Many of them have one or two parents with criminal records and/or substance abuse issues. Many of them have spent time institutionalized in one way or another in the child welfare system. Some of them are gifted athletically and will be able to parlay that blessing into a better life. Some of them are gifted academically or artisticly and will be to rise above where they came from. However, the majority of them are poor with average or lower than average intelligence and little to no social capital who are doomed to a life of abject poverty or just getting by poverty. Many of them will be making the poor choices that lead to a life of poverty before they finish high school. Nearly none of them will be present at a week 12 playoff game to cheer on their classmates. Besides not having any way to get to the game nor the extra cash to pay the price for gas, food, parking and admission, many of them feel maybe just a tiny tinge of subconscious resentment for the players having an edge in escaping poverty. The players worked hard and put together an unbelievable undefeated season against similar opponents. Did they start lifting daily in a disciplined and well-supervised fashion in December or January in a well-equipped weight room. No. They did not. Did the captains get them all together throughout the spring to run drills and conditioning exercises. No they did not. Did any of them spend time at the local D-1 training academy. No they did not. This isn't the high school football that GCL families know and understand. It's city league ball, and a lot of the success is attributed to just extraordinary natural talent. These kids didn't have the resources to move five miles east and play for Reynoldsburg or Pickerington. But some of their friends did. These kids didn't have the academic chops or the behavior to go three miles west and play for Hartley. But some of their friends did. In week 2, they played a game 13 miles away at Watkins Memorial which was as far away and alien as Bellbrook. They played them away last season too. There aren't a lot of schools who want to play a game at Walnut Ridge. If you take an average Licking County person and dropped them off at the corner of Hamilton and Livingston with the instructions to walk a mile east to Walnut Ridge, they'd be terrified for their lives - even in broad daylight. And their field is terrible. So they've probably watched a little film on LaSalle. They probably have a sense that they don't have a chance. But they won't care. That's not a new feeling. They've felt it their whole lives. Even if they've read any of the discussion here about the inferiority of just playing a city league schedule, they won't care. They're just going to go out and play their game. Lancer mommies can worry for a few hours on Friday that their little prodigy might get beat up by some dirty thug, but on Saturday morning she can go back to fretting about girlfriends who might get pregnant, what college the kid is getting into, and whether he's had the right connections to become a corporate executive some day. If you guys outmatch them to the degree that us armchair experts think you will, then I hope you guys have a tiny feeling of a preferential option for the poor and all them lofty ideals and have the decency to ease up maybe just a little bit before it gets to a running clock. These kids have already been beaten up by life. Surely you have a couple dive plays in your repertoire. And if it gets to it, show a little self mastery and don't get chippy back.

Haha this is some funny stuff. You are officially a freaking idiot. Regardless of your sappy story and how Lasalle Mommy's will be praying for the safety of their kids I feel bad for this Walnut Ridge team. They will get their brains beat in and will break. Penalties, arguing and probably some fights will break out. I remember when Lima Senior cracked and tried that crap and OchoRell went over and took care of business at Kettering Fairmont. Bottom line this group of Lancers aren't scared of anyone and WR will get destroyed. Sad but true. Also this BS post makes me wonder what you write if Walnut Ridge was playing Winton Woods? LOL. Would it be how rough Walnut Ridge has it and how Winton Woods kids are soft suburban kids? All this talk doesn't matter Walnut Ridge is gonna get smacked and hopefully they can keep their composure and the game will not be called because of a brawl. It would be terrible if a spoiled little Lasalle kid was hurt by one of these big bad city kids or was suspended for the next week because they were instigated into fighting. Check the game with the Canadian team or Lima Senior. Lasalle will bang with anyone and unfortunately the Walnut Ridge perfect season will end with a running clock and an whupping by a bunch of Momma's boys.

WOW- has Walnut Ridge fallen that low. I wasn't poor nor was most of my friends when I went there. Reynoldsburg and Pickerington was known as the snobby rich kids but in no way was looked at and felt like we were the poor bums of Columbus. I hope Ridge comes out and does there thing. I watched them play Massillon last year and they did hang for about 3 quarters and to be honest if they had a kicker would have been winning at half. Just the hand you was dealt. Makes you stronger and its life. Good Luck. Beat LaSalle

If you guys outmatch them to the degree that us armchair experts think you will, then I hope you guys have a tiny feeling of a preferential option for the poor and all them lofty ideals and have the decency to ease up maybe just a little bit before it gets to a running clock. These kids have already been beaten up by life. Surely you have a couple dive plays in your repertoire. And if it gets to it, show a little self mastery and don't get chippy back.

Yep, they went No. 21 up the middle the whole second half. LS could have won this game by 70+ and the Lancers did not.

Hope the WR players are proud. Not many teams reach Week 12. Great season.

Big showdown next week...It would be sweet to find a place for a Saturday DH... Harrison vs. LaSalle then Colerain vs. Elder...

You're making it seem like LaSalle has never seen anything like this before. Many kids try to attend LS to get out of the situations you have been talking about. Thats the great thing about LaSalle, they welcome anyone who wants to be apart of something great.

No testing? No "skills" considered? Money no object? ANYONE?

Great school, need more like them.