Division 1 State Semi: St. Xavier versus Springfield

So the hell what?? SHS is going to win tomorrow. X will not be able to handle SHS's speed. They haven't played a team as fast as SHS. They're going to be overwhelmed. They'll burn all their TOs trying to figure out what the hell they can do to stop the onslaught.
St. X played a very speedy team in Brownsburg HS (Indiana) early in the year.

So the hell what?? SHS is going to win tomorrow. X will not be able to handle SHS's speed. They haven't played a team as fast as SHS. They're going to be overwhelmed. They'll burn all their TOs trying to figure out what the hell they can do to stop the onslaught.
Have you seen ANY film of St. X?? Maybe on ESPN in like week 2? I’m a GWOC homer and I wanna see the conference represent but St. X is not going to be overwhelmed by the speed Springfield has. Springfield will need to bring their best shot.

I know

Springfield does have a great defense, but I follow the GWOC very very closely and I know Springboro had 4-6 starters out on offense in the Springfield game due to issues off of the field. Springboro’s offense produced but lacked any type of a true passing game.
Explain Liberty

You'd think a Northmont fan would be rooting for Springfield and let bygones be bygones. No? Go GWOC! Springboro went toe to toe with Coffman. They represented the GWOC with pride!
Go X ! Fans like you and Riverrat are why northmont fans want springfields to get handed to them. Northmont was better in game 1, and would have validated it in game 2. No doubt. No luck. Better team.

Would have Northmont won round 2. Could they have dropped another 38?
Why not? Were they gonna play different players? And yes, rice and company would have scored at will. They had no answer for him, and it would have been more of the same 2nd time around.

Explain Liberty
What type of athletes does Liberty have?? I saw a bunch of white kids who wrestle. Nothing against white athletes at all as I am white myself but it helps to have a couple brothers on the squad. Compared to Wayne and Northmont they don’t match up with Springfield nearly as well. Wayne and Northmont would have beaten them easily too. And Wayne doesn’t have a very high powered offense, just better athletes and better matchups.

What type of athletes does Liberty have?? I saw a bunch of white kids who wrestle. Nothing against white athletes at all as I am white myself but it helps to have a couple brothers on the squad. Compared to Wayne and Northmont they don’t match up with Springfield nearly as well. Wayne and Northmont would have beaten them easily too. And Wayne doesn’t have a very high powered offense, just better athletes and better matchups.
and what kind of white kids does X have???

Don't forget to look at the GWOC stats page too.

It will take quite a bit for X to get overwhelmed by anyone. They didn't get overwhelmed by Brownsburg with a D1 qb and two d1 receivers, nor Cathedral with a bigger line and speed in the backfield and on the edges. I appreciate your enthusiasm and love for your team ORB, but if we want to compare strength of schedule and compare competition, that's not going to be a good look for you.

Have a fun time in Florida, and good luck to both teams tomorrow. Even us proud Democrats don't want someone to have a bad time on vacation.
Looking at your prior game analysis-- for both teams (which is more in-depth and detailed than I am capable of), I kind of think this game will actually come down to execution-- not talent/athleticism-- by that, I mean that X will need to execute well in two areas:

1) Running what is maybe the most complex offense in the state-- the line will need to continue to pass-block well, the QB will need to run through his reads well, and the secondary and tertiary receivers will need to CATCH THE BALL, when it's thrown to them (something they didn't do well last week);
2) The defensive front 6 staying disciplined about keeping containment on Smoot, so that, when plays break down (as they inevitably will), Smoot is not able to do more damage running the ball than throwing it...

...and then the outcome will depend on whether Springfield can respond in kind:
1) Can Springfield's defense be as disciplined as Lakota West was, in their pass coverage assignments-- it is NOT enough against X, to simply be athletic-- you also have to be smart and disciplined, on every play; we saw that, as good as LW was at this, the one mistake that the LW safety made, late in the game, was enough to result in Clifford getting open for the game-winning play... does Springfield have what it takes to combine superior athleticism with superior scheme and execution? The secondary concern for Springfield (if they really did have problems with Whitmer's line) is whether they will be able to contain X in the run game-- the Whitmer game suggests this is an open question.

2) Can Springfield exploit X's biggest weakness-- the defensive secondary's coverage of long passes? If Smoot is not accurate with his throws, or the receivers are not precise with their routes and/or do not catch the "catchable balls" on long passes, then it seems likely that Springfield will have a tough time scoring enough to keep up with an X offense that is very capable of putting up 30-40 points in this game. The secondary concern for Springfield will be Smoot's decision-making: will he know when to not throw into tight coverage, pull it down, and try to make something happen with his feet-- if so, he could make it a long night for the X defense-- if not, it could be a long night for him. Braxton Miller was fabulous at this-- but he was also a transcendent player-- the type that doesn't come along but maybe once every ~10 years or so; it's asking a lot to ask Smoot to be Braxton Miller-like-- but maybe he IS that good...?

Last edited:
And how d

And how did X land such talent? Maybe bc they're a private, parochial school that recruits??
X is not a parochial school-- but all private schools must "recruit"--students, not athletes-- because no private school has a natural constituency that will attend there, by default-- if private schools did not recruit, the schools would risk closing for lack of enrollment; now, if you want to show evidence of X recruiting athletes, that is a different, more difficult, argument-- one that I don't think you can show any evidence to support. X recruits students-- not athletes.

Go X ! Fans like you and Riverrat are why northmont fans want springfields to get handed to them. Northmont was better in game 1, and would have validated it in game 2. No doubt. No luck. Better team.
Like me? If Northmont plays and wins the game, I'm still on here rooting for the Bolts and Tony! So the Bolts fans hate fans like me? Wow! You'd think the Bolts fans would want as much of a fan base as they can get.

WHAT DAY,.................GAME DAY
WHAT TIME,...............GAME TIME
ANY DAWGS IN THE HOUSE,.................... (y)

P.S. Go Bombers !!!