Division 1 State Semi: St. Xavier versus Springfield

Absolute blowout. X by 25 or more.....Northmont would of beat Springfield and Springfield defense will get torched by X. Sorry but Springfiled dont have Lakota West defense so lets talk about the next matchup.

This graphic has been painted on the wall of our local neighborhood Dairy Queen (for some time)— this business must know how to pick ‘em:
1604280646279.jpeg

Roger Bacon: Division V- Regional Finalist this week
Wyoming: Division IV- Regional Finalist this week
Winton Woods: Division II- Regional Finalist this week
St. Xavier: Division I- State Semi-Finalist this week

I guess it helps to have four pretty good teams from your neighborhood— wonder if there is anywhere else in Ohio that has such representation in the state football playoffs this year?

I think HTFF was poking a little bit of friendly fun at another poster.
We hope X comes into this game overconfident and overlooking us. Plays right into our hands. But I have a feeling Specht knows better than that. Last year, Elder needed a strong defensive stand in the final minute to hold off SHS.

Last edited:
Absolute blowout. X by 25 or more.....Northmont would of beat Springfield and Springfield defense will get torched by X. Sorry but Springfiled dont have Lakota West defense so lets talk about the next matchup.
We certainly hope X comes into this game feeling that way!

This graphic has been painted on the wall of our local neighborhood Dairy Queen (for some time)— this business must know how to pick ‘em:
1604280646279.jpeg

I guess it helps to have four pretty good teams from your neighborhood— wonder if there is anywhere else in Ohio that has such representation in the state football playoffs this year?
I think Springfield has 3 teams - Springfield High, Shawnee and Catholic Central

Scott Sollman was awesome in St. X's win over Ignatius - 6 TDs!

Ignatius's coach Kyle has said that Wayne's athleticism was a big reason the Warriors won over X and that their defensive tackles won the game as they forced Sollman to run outside where the Wayne athletes contained him.

Ignatius beat Wayne 24-10 in that state championship game with a back-up QB, a sophomore who had played that season in only the late stages of a couple varsity games, but mostly on the JV squad. It was more a team effort - defense, 2nd half adjustments and an offense that scored when it had to. Kyle has said his '99 team improved the most from game-to-game.
Steve Sollman— Scott was Steve’s older brother (and the best player on the 1992 X team that should have, I believe, beaten Ig in the final, but lost its QB to injury early in that game— and also [much like the last game against Lakota West] failed to kick field goals with its excellent kicker several times in the game— thus leaving ~9 points on the table that could have been a game changer— even without the starting QB).

We hope X comes into this game overconfident and overlooking us. Plays right into our hands. But I have a feeling Specht knows better than that. Last year, Elder needed a strong defensive stand in the final minute to hold off SHS.
It's the D1 final four, no one gets underestimated now.

I do hope the X offense does come in with the confidence that they will score big. I don't think they will, I think this game will be one score in the 20's, but they need to have the confidence they will. I do think LW got in the head of X's QB last week, he looked mentally off, and missed some plays.

I have a feeling that this is not going to be a fun week of practice on North Bend Rd.

I do hope the X offense does come in with the confidence that they will score big. I don't think they will, I think this game will be one score in the 20's, but they need to have the confidence they will. I do think LW got in the head of X's QB last week, he looked mentally off, and missed some plays.

I have a feeling that this is not going to be a fun week of practice on North Bend Rd.
I think it will be identical to the Elder game last year, just less scoring by both sides. The teams generally will stay within 1 score of each other. Again, my prediction is SHS 21-17 on a late 4th qtr TD drive
Screenshot_20201101-212655_Samsung Internet.jpg

No underestimating and all of the coaches are exceptional. Plain and simple, expect a battle.

1604280646279.jpeg

Are you sure that isn't a North College Hill Trojan? St. Bernard isn't close to Wyoming or Winton Woods. Just an observation.

Are you sure that isn't a North College Hill Trojan? St. Bernard isn't close to Wyoming or Winton Woods. Just an observation.
No, it is definitely a Roger Bacon helmet— the colors are brown and gold— which are Bacon’s colors— this neighborhood is traditionally a Bacon area, whereas North College Hill would tend to be a LaSalle area (if anything)— growing up in this area (when defined districts were still in place for Catholic schools), boys who went to Catholic high school here went to either X or Bacon.

Speaking of St. Bernard, it’s odd to me that St. Bernard (nicknamed the Titans) uses a logo on their football helmet of a helmeted Spartan/Trojan type warrior— the Titans, in Greek mythology, were giant Gods (in human form)— but had no need to wear helmets.