Division 1 Semi Final: Archbishop Moeller (13-1) vs Springfield (12-1)

Who wins and by how much?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sure I’ll catch hell for this but how many of the schools in R4 have titles that aren’t private schools? Colerain is only one I can think of that has made it out of R4 that wasn’t private
Yep. Private schools have dominated R4 since the playoffs previously expanded to include 8 teams per region. Outside of Colerain, the other GMC schools that have gotten out of the region to win titles were in the 70s and 80s when fewer teams qualified, i.e. fewer if any private schools to go through to get to state.

I don’t have a football team.

Now if you are talking about fairmont football since the merger. SHS only has one more win in the series vs fairmont. I would hardly call that dominant.
You sound like Anakin Skywalker trying to raise up the Sith. And look how that turned out?

You sound like Anakin Skywalker trying to raise up the Sith. And look how that turned out?
I’ve often suspected it by the amount you post. Now the Star Wars reference confirms it. You are one of those dudes in your parent’s basement banging away on Internet forums all day.

Attachments

• 3C048E5F-CB8E-4DF9-820B-105D4DF450C4.png
    3C048E5F-CB8E-4DF9-820B-105D4DF450C4.png
    254.8 KB · Views: 9
I’ve often suspected it by the amount you post. Now the Star Wars reference confirms it. You are one of those dudes in your parent’s basement banging away on Internet forums all day.
I could easily say the same thing about you. After all, you understand the reference. And at least my favorite team is still alive in the playoffs...

I think 1991 Centerville was the last time a team not mentioned on your list came out of R4.

Ohioriverboy42 named Princeton and to that you can add Fairfield. It was back in 1986 but they won a D1 title out of R4.
So 3 public schools in 36 years and 1 was 86 other was 91

Yep. Private schools have dominated R4 since the playoffs previously expanded to include 8 teams per region. Outside of Colerain, the other GMC schools that have gotten out of the region to win titles were in the 70s and 80s when fewer teams qualified, i.e. fewer if any private schools to go through to get to state.
What year was the expansion to 8? Private schools have dominated d1 state since the expansion i’m willing to bet.

Before anyone starts i’m not one of those against private schools and ohsaa will never go to private school only division so it is what it is. R2 and R3 are the only regions in d1 with no private schools R1 and R4 over the years has been dominated by privates R4 maybe more then R1 i’m not 100% sure I know Mentor made some runs but I think Eds and Iggy probably have won region more. People saying winning your region is meaningless makes zero sense to me or your not relevant or whatever as state runner up is even more funnier. Of course the goal for some is state championship but for about 90% of schools (maybe thats a little high) even getting to Canton is completely unrealistic. League championships, regional titles should be very meaningful to any school who gets there

Last edited:
Princenton hasn’t won the region since the 80s I believe. How dominate was Elder, Moe,X then
Close. Princeton lost to Warren Harding in the D1 final in 1990, two public schools of all things. Unthinkable. :) That also happened in 1972, 1974, 1978, 1983, 1987, 2000, 2004, 2006, 2009, & 2017 but I think that's it in D1.

Lol so 10 times in 49 years
11 in 50 seasons, including the 1990 game. That counts AAA from 1972-79 as D1. On the flip side the D1 final has been between two private schools 9 times. Obviously, there are far fewer private schools in D1. That also means that 30 times in 50 D1 championship games it was between a private and a public school. I'm not making a judgement either way, it is what it is.

Teams who have made d1 state final since 72

Western Reserve(no longer d1)
Princenton
Cardinal Mooney(no longer d1)
Warren Harding
Upper Arlington
Moeller
St. Eds
Gahanna Lincoln
Mckinley
Berea
Padua Franscician(no longer d1)
Massillon Washington
Akron Garfield(closed)
St francis desalles(no longer d1)
North canton hoover
Fairfield
Youngstown Boardman(no longer d1)
Ignatius
centerville
St. X
Westerville South
Colerain
Brunswick
Lima sr
Pickerington(now split schools)
Elder
Hilliard Davidson
Mentor
Glenville (no longer d1)
Wayne
Pick Central
Whitmer
Springfield

so out of 50 years 34 schools (out of who knows how many). 6 are no longer d1 1 school is split into 2 now. Have competed in the d1 final

Teams who have made d1 state final since 72

Western Reserve(no longer d1)
Princenton
Cardinal Mooney(no longer d1)
Warren Harding
Upper Arlington
Moeller
St. Eds
Gahanna Lincoln
Mckinley
Berea
Padua Franscician(no longer d1)
Massillon Washington
Akron Garfield(closed)
St francis desalles(no longer d1)
North canton hoover
Fairfield
Youngstown Boardman(no longer d1)
Ignatius
centerville
St. X
Westerville South
Colerain
Brunswick
Lima sr
Pickerington(now split schools)
Elder
Hilliard Davidson
Mentor
Glenville (no longer d1)
Wayne
Pick Central
Whitmer
Springfield

so out of 50 years 34 schools (out of who knows how many). 6 are no longer d1 1 school is split into 2 now. Have competed in the d1 final

For the record, add Solon to your list. They played UA in the D1 final in 2000. They first qualified as D2, went to D1 for several years and dropped back to D2 this year. In addition to those you noted, Hoover, Lima Sr., Massillon, Warren Harding & Westerville South were also in D2 this season. That doesn't leave many current D1 schools that have played in a final and there won't be any first timers there this year.

ORB42 may have unique ways but at least willing to stand alone and face the opposition with an original ID, unlike this group of "new members" like "turkey" standing in a circle doing the wave, if you get my meaning.

For the record, add Solon to your list. They played UA in the D1 final in 2000. They first qualified as D2, went to D1 for several years and dropped back to D2 this year. In addition to those you noted, Hoover, Lima Sr., Massillon, Warren Harding & Westerville South were also in D2 this season. That doesn't leave many current D1 schools that have played in a final and there won't be any first timers there this year.
Sorry forgot them so less then 40 d1 schools have qualified for the state finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.