Districts with important Bond issues on the ballot.

GoArrowsGo

On March 17th, there are two issues to be voted on by the residents of the school district I live in (Preble Shawnee). The first issue is for funds for a new elementary school and funding to renovate the JR/SR High. Second one is for an income tax increase for day to day operations.

Which got me thinking, are there any posters on here aware of any tax levees next month that may affect Athletics for their district? Any programs who have been threatened to be shut down?

My home district, Olmsted Falls City Schools, has a levy on the ballot that will need passed to prevent pay-to-play for sports. We have no children in the district, but we will be voting FOR the levy. The schools are not only an investment in our property value, but also an investment in developing well-rounded future Americans. Support your public schools!

Good luck with levies or bonds. Pay to play can kill a program and school district as well. The schools state portion has been gutted for middle to high income areas. That and house bill 920 or something that makes you beg the voters for increases to education even when property values rise in value.
Common sense would make the dumb bill to go away and for school to be forced to go to county districts and eliminate the 500 plus schools districts so the state and districts can stop paying for administrators and other services for every little bgitty area in ohio and streamline the schools. wont happen in my lifetime but it would makes sense.

Its tough when your school district needs new money and then renewals come up which make the residents say that they have a levy on every other ballot.

No one is walking up to a girl he’s trying to impress saying “yeah I participate on the football team”
I think “play to play” is just fine
Plus it’s more catchy
Well if you call it pay to play your are opening up yourself to law suits as parents will insist " my kid didn't get to play"!! ..but participate...well they participated in practice, drills, warm up.....

How do all these big schools have such high P.T.P rates?
Not all PTP rates are created equal. Some schools' PTP rates are covering everything, including transportation costs, entry fees, hiring officials for home contests, and the coaches' stipends. Others are only covering a portion of the total cost of operating the sports.

Additionally, some sports' athletes are probably subsidizing the cost of operating other sports at the school. For example, let's say your golf team has 12 players. The school's PTP rate is $500 per kid. Is $6000 going to cover the full cost of operating that golf team when you factor in the coach's stipend, uniform shirts, transportation, greens fees at the course where they practice, and tournament entry fees?

Good luck with levies or bonds. Pay to play can kill a program and school district as well. The schools state portion has been gutted for middle to high income areas. That and house bill 920 or something that makes you beg the voters for increases to education even when property values rise in value.
Common sense would make the dumb bill to go away and for school to be forced to go to county districts and eliminate the 500 plus schools districts so the state and districts can stop paying for administrators and other services for every little bgitty area in ohio and streamline the schools. wont happen in my lifetime but it would makes sense.
County districts makes a lot of sense, even if it was divided into regions based on a max population number per region. For instance, Summit County, having a much larger population than Portage, might have 10 regions, to Portage County’s 4. Instead of each district having its own Superintendent and administrative staff, each region would employee a Superintendent, assistant Superintendents, and other administrative staff. Therefore cutting overhead costs substantially for each district. The regional administrative staffs could be directly payed for by the state, and local property tax money could go directly toward operating expenses, teachers salaries, and school improvement projects. There is no reason why small school districts need there own administrative team, they should share a team with surrounding districts. We need to start being better financial stewards for the sake of our communities.

Louisville is making another attempt at an operating levy. Should the levy fail, the cutbacks include eliminating middle school athletics.

Loveland has a big levy on the books for the spring. They just attempted one in the fall and it failed bad. They will increase pay to participate fees, and yes, that is what Loveland calls them ?

Does nobody in Ohio have a booster club or fund raise anymore???? The district I work in down here in the dirty only pays for coaches stipends and it is up to the individual school to fund the cost of athletics. We compete in 22 varsity sports and 9 JV sports and 1 freshman team. We have a student body of around 1,800 with close to 60% qualifying for free and reduced lunch (so not a terribly wealthy school obviously). We operate close to an athletic budget of $200k annually and have never experienced financial issues with athletics. We're expected to fund transportation, officials fees, tournament fees, uniforms, equipment, pretty much everything except our coaches' pay.

Not all PTP rates are created equal. Some schools' PTP rates are covering everything, including transportation costs, entry fees, hiring officials for home contests, and the coaches' stipends. Others are only covering a portion of the total cost of operating the sports.

Additionally, some sports' athletes are probably subsidizing the cost of operating other sports at the school. For example, let's say your golf team has 12 players. The school's PTP rate is $500 per kid. Is $6000 going to cover the full cost of operating that golf team when you factor in the coach's stipend, uniform shirts, transportation, greens fees at the course where they practice, and tournament entry fees?

If you can't cover a golf season with $6,000 then the AD and coach need to have a frank discussion about spending habits. Unless you're factoring in the coaches stipend, 6k is a ton of money for a golf team.

Perry Local School District in Stark County serving Perry Township and the eastern portions of the City of Massillon. It will include 4 new elementary schools. (5.4 mills)

Last edited:
If you can't cover a golf season with $6,000 then the AD and coach need to have a frank discussion about spending habits. Unless you're factoring in the coaches stipend, 6k is a ton of money for a golf team.

No it's not. Transportation fees alone could get close to 6k, depending on where you travel and how often. And most schools (do any?) don't own their own golf course, so every practice and "home" match will cost your school money.

I would venture to say that most golf seasons cost far more than 6k.

No it's not. Transportation fees alone could get close to 6k, depending on where you travel and how often. And most schools (do any?) don't own their own golf course, so every practice and "home" match will cost your school money.

I would venture to say that most golf seasons cost far more than 6k.
And depending on the school, they also provide players with clubs because said player may not have clubs. Let's also not forget the price of golf balls, those definitely aren't cheap.

Yes, I was factoring in all costs associated with operating the program in that $6k. However, not counting the coach's stipend, I would argue that $6k doesn't go that far for some programs. If a team plays in a lot of regular season tournaments at swanky courses, (my school has competed at the likes of Inverness, Canterbury, and Muirfield) the entry fees can add up quickly. Also, teams in Ohio pay entry/greens fees to play in each round of the postseason tournament. Want to play a practice round the day before the tournament? That costs money, too.

Valley View has a big school levy on the ballets. They really need it to pass. Sounds like they will be looking at $400 per sport for the pay to play.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/new...ers-reject-march-levy/71LCdOWaeugdc2Kf4wLTYN/

I drive through Germantown everyday on my way to work and live very close to the border between our districts. I can see that this is a highly contested issue in the community. I for one hope that the residents are able to get that passed for the kids sake.

I drive through Germantown everyday on my way to work and live very close to the border between our districts. I can see that this is a highly contested issue in the community. I for one hope that the residents are able to get that passed for the kids sake.

Yes, this is a big vote on March 17th for the Valley View School District. If the levy doesn't pass, not only will it affect the pay to play amount for high school, but middle school sports will be cut all together. I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone on here about the poor long term affect that can have on high school athletic programs.

The state needs to enact a 1.5% Sales tax across the board and earmark it for schools operating expenses. Then let income tax pay for new buildings and extras. Property tax is a dying way to fund schools.

Will these elections even take place next Tuesday, considering all the event postponements and cancellations that have occurred due to COVID-19? If the elections proceed as planned, will the voters even show up at the potentially crowded polling sites, considering voters and poll workers are typically older folks who are most vulnerable to serious consequences if they contract this virus?

Will these elections even take place next Tuesday, considering all the event postponements and cancellations that have occurred due to COVID-19? If the elections proceed as planned, will the voters even show up at the potentially crowded polling sites, considering voters and poll workers are typically older folks who are most vulnerable to serious consequences if they contract this virus?

I’m very worried about this myself. The solution to this would be to extend the absentee deadline for absentee ballots and allow everyone to vote from their mailbox. I of course worry that this may cause a negative outcome in our local election. Hard to think of another logical solution that doesn’t put people at risk.

There's no way we should be voting on Tues. If everything under the sun is canceled this has to be too. We know the voting turnout will be compromised, so push it back. It's easier said than done, but something or someone is going to be elected/not elected, passed/failed without a fair shake.