Disappointing/Surprising Teams.

Except we lost our entire offensive production from last year while Alter brought back a ton including DI prospects at RB and DB.

Alter didn't return anyone solid but their running back and MLB. They had to replace 5 on their offensive line, a whole new backfield, and returned only two starters on defense. Fairmont at least had experienced offensive linemen and a big chunk of their defense back

Is nobody going to mention Kenston? They returned three first team all-ohio guys from a team that running clocked all of DIII on their way o a state title. Then they lost in the first round this year to a New Philadelphia team without Baron May. I think everyone on here expected them to easily repeat.

Kenston on paper had like 17 starters back including a bunch of D1/D2 talent. I thought they would have walked back to Canton.

Just going to throw this out there....am I the only one that thinks Wyoming losing to Clyde was a MAJOR disappointment? Certainly not a bust as they went 13-1 on the season but....Clyde? Really?

-CardinalsFan

Clyde seemed to click at the right time. They lost 3 in a row, including to Norwalk who was a heavy favorite in D3 this year. Also lost to Columbian and Sandusky who were D3 playoff teams. By the look of the scores, they won their first three playoff games by one possession or less twice, and one by 14. Wyoming's loss was the largest margain of victory for the Fliers all year minus playing inner city teams. Anyone at the game have an insight on how it went?

Not sure if this is a surprise or not BUT

Toledo Woodward starting off 0-5 then finishing 4-0-1 to win the Toledo City League title. This senior class at Woodward definitely did work in conference the last 4 seasons going 15-4-1 (20-18-1 overall). Not sure if its coaching or athletes or both but the North End Polar Bears have been doing good and its nice to see.
they went 4-5-1 and won a league?

Just going to throw this out there....am I the only one that thinks Wyoming losing to Clyde was a MAJOR disappointment? Certainly not a bust as they went 13-1 on the season but....Clyde? Really?

-CardinalsFan

Not completely shocked that Clyde won, but the score was pretty surprising.

-CardinalsFan
How about the season coach Cutright and his assistants did with Colerain!! They lost a ton of talent and managed to go 11-2 and keeping the GMC winning streak alive. 20 straight Championships.

Pickerington North had superstar talent, but squandered it. They never got over losing their projected starting QB. Even though they played a super tough schedule, the blowout losses to Northmont and Westerville Central were inexcusable - as was their no-show playoff performance.

Blowout loss to Northmont was inexcusable? Northmont made the playoffs!

Springfield was my surprise...the Wildcats were way better than I expected them to be and represented the GWOC well!

Centerville was a disappointment as I always have such high expectations for them. Next year will certainly be a tide turner for the Elks who have great young talent!

Springfield was my surprise...the Wildcats were way better than I expected them to be and represented the GWOC well!

Centerville was a disappointment as I always have such high expectations for them. Next year will certainly be a tide turner for the Elks who have great young talent!

springfield was super talented, kudos on a great season and a great game last week! I haven’t really followed their program but hats off to their kids and their fans,you all were great last week in Piqua.

Biggest disappointment- Moeller (no explanation needed)

Biggest Surprise- Trotwood Madison. I cant tip my hat enough to the Trotwood community, as they are team of battle tested young men from having no league to play in to having to recover from a horrible natural disaster that left families without homes and some were forced to start completely over. So for them to battle through all that & make it to the championship game is surprise itself.

Biggest disappointment: Huber Heights Wayne 3-7, worse record in nearly 40 years and went winless at home. This team was loaded with talent ... to bad they did not have someone to lead them.....

Biggest surprise: Springboro

Alter didn't return anyone solid but their running back and MLB. They had to replace 5 on their offensive line, a whole new backfield, and returned only two starters on defense. Fairmont at least had experienced offensive linemen and a big chunk of their defense back
What roster did you check? Fairmont lost 2 DL, 1 LB, and every CB.

Biggest disappointment: Huber Heights Wayne 3-7, worse record in nearly 40 years and went winless at home. This team was loaded with talent ... to bad they did not have someone to lead them.....

Biggest surprise: Springboro
I don't know the exact true story of what happened at Wayne, but in my view, it was a travesty what was done with Coach Minton. He earned the right to go out on his own.

CVCA was a surprise for many this year. They have 2 former players playing D1 football and 2 others who started that are wrestling for TOSU. They had to replace 80% of the touchdowns and yards from last year with kids that were not elite level players by any stretch of the imagination. Individually there is probably not much to look at, as a team they played very well together and earned a home game in the playoffs and 1 a playoff game for the first time is school history.

Triway was also a surprise. I don't believe anyone saw them winning very many games at all and they finished 6-4 with a win over Manchester.

It would have been a surprise if Massillon won in it's quest for it's first playoff title. They did not disappoint me.

What roster did you check? Fairmont lost 2 DL, 1 LB, and every CB.

Excuses from a school with over 2500 students? Can’t find 20 or 30 players?

My Knights didn’t meet their own expectations, but did enough to get to the regional semis. That’s the final 4 of 27 mostly larger schools, in a final 8 that contained half of our league.

Birds, you’ve always been a small picture guy.

I would say Centerville was a solid dud along with Alter.
Very true----- eventually Centerville will remember that it is Centerville, and get it back on track. Alter is basically Centerville lite, not really a surprise that both teams are not their usual selves, but they'll bounce back too. Next year should be fun to watch.

Brecksville was a surprising team this year. They were 0-10 last year. They end this regular season 7-3. This year they were a playoff team and a very good team. Lost by 3 in the playoffs to a good Benedictine team. Nice surprising turn around.

Last edited:
In D7, one team that was both exciting but simultaneously disappointing was Lancaster Fisher Cath. FC had an impressive O-line, a quality dual-threat QB, a monstrous FB and two playmakers at RB1 and WB. Two-platoon system. This is by no means at all a decry nor a passive-aggressive criticism of the coaching staff— they just drew dead ending up as the #8 seed (two opponents went 0-10) against the one team in Region 27 that would’ve throttled them.

Clyde seemed to click at the right time. They lost 3 in a row, including to Norwalk who was a heavy favorite in D3 this year. Also lost to Columbian and Sandusky who were D3 playoff teams. By the look of the scores, they won their first three playoff games by one possession or less twice, and one by 14. Wyoming's loss was the largest margain of victory for the Fliers all year minus playing inner city teams. Anyone at the game have an insight on how it went?
From an OHSAA rep who was on the Wyoming sideline, Wyoming spent the entire first half commenting that Clyde hit harder than any team they had ever played.

Anybody know if Big Red from Steubenville is going down hill or was it an off year? I know they're D3 now, but they've been quiet since winning state in 2017 (which was only two years ago). Any input from those guys up in Jefferson County