Votes: 52 54.2%
  • Bishop Watterson by 1-8

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • Bishop Watterson by 9-16

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Bishop Watterson by 17+

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
I don't know much about either team but I spoke with a starter on Watterson and they said that TCC is the St. Edwards of DIII... sounds like to me that Watterson might be a little intimidated by them. Frankly if you're in the state final you have to believe you can win, that kind of mindset is horrible for a team. I got TCC 35-10

I don't know much about either team but I spoke with a starter on Watterson and they said that TCC is the St. Edwards of DIII... sounds like to me that Watterson might be a little intimidated by them. Frankly if you're in the state final you have to believe you can win, that kind of mindset is horrible for a team. I got TCC 35-10
What they should have said was they are 3 points worse then St Eds cause that is all they lost to St Eds by on the road last year when St Eds won D1 Championship.

Banging on some kid for a comment like that is petty (if you even really had this conversation). Watterson has an incredible coaching staff led by Brian Kennedy and 5 former buckeyes. They will have these boys in the right mindset and ready to go! The rest is in god's hands as they say.....

Being in a large metropolitan area makes a big difference
Over the years, Central was faced with decisions about moving the school to the outer areas or suburbs. I had heard that in the 70's or 80's there was a discussion about that. Detroit Catholic Central has done that-twice. They started in Detroit. Moved to Redford, MI in the 70's or 80's and then moved again to Novi, MI where the median household income is $100k per year ($55k per capita income). Toledo's is $41k and $24k. Central made the conscious decision to stay at their historic home and serve the demographics of the area.

Many of the historical Catholic feeder schools have closed (St. Hedwig, St. John the Baptist, St. Agnes) and many others are very small (Blessed Sacrament, Regina Coeli, OLPH). They still get a decent number of Catholic kids from outlying areas and schools (All Saints, St. Pat's, Christ the King), but not in numbers of before. Currently there are only about 300 8th graders in Toledo area Catholic schools and there are 6 Catholic high schools battling for them. In Columbus, kids used to have to go to whichever Catholic high school was in their area. I am not sure if that is still the case or not. Toledo Catholic kids could always choose wherever they wanted to go.

So yes, Central long ago had to branch out to get more students. They do get kids from the inner city. Some play football. There are many others who don't play sports who go there too. I have personally seen the positive impact that Central has had on the lives of the kids who go there. Does Central get kids who go there for football? Yes they do. Dempsey has created a great program. Kids have seen the success and want to be a part of it. They have seen kids pass through Dempsey's system and move on to college football and the NFL.

But Central is far more than that. 1/4 of the current Diocesan seminarians are CCHS graduates. That is a fact that you will never hear.

Lastly, being a smaller school in a larger area does make it a bit easier in situations like this. Tiffin and Chardon are community schools with only so many potential kids to get to go there. Central does have a bigger pool because Toledo is bigger. But, then again, there are more choices here too.

All in all, Central has done great things for so many kids. It is experiencing great success in football currently. If Dempsey ever leaves, I am not sure it would continue. Look at Notre Dame Academy for girls basketball. Their run has ended. They will not be what they were a few years ago. It comes and goes.

Good luck to Bishop Watterson on Friday.

1701114583818.png

1701114697186.png
1701114753357.png

Over the years, Central was faced with decisions about moving the school to the outer areas or suburbs. I had heard that in the 70's or 80's there was a discussion about that. Detroit Catholic Central has done that-twice. They started in Detroit. Moved to Redford, MI in the 70's or 80's and then moved again to Novi, MI where the median household income is $100k per year ($55k per capita income). Toledo's is $41k and $24k. Central made the conscious decision to stay at their historic home and serve the demographics of the area.

Many of the historical Catholic feeder schools have closed (St. Hedwig, St. John the Baptist, St. Agnes) and many others are very small (Blessed Sacrament, Regina Coeli, OLPH). They still get a decent number of Catholic kids from outlying areas and schools (All Saints, St. Pat's, Christ the King), but not in numbers of before. Currently there are only about 300 8th graders in Toledo area Catholic schools and there are 6 Catholic high schools battling for them. In Columbus, kids used to have to go to whichever Catholic high school was in their area. I am not sure if that is still the case or not. Toledo Catholic kids could always choose wherever they wanted to go.

So yes, Central long ago had to branch out to get more students. They do get kids from the inner city. Some play football. There are many others who don't play sports who go there too. I have personally seen the positive impact that Central has had on the lives of the kids who go there. Does Central get kids who go there for football? Yes they do. Dempsey has created a great program. Kids have seen the success and want to be a part of it. They have seen kids pass through Dempsey's system and move on to college football and the NFL.

But Central is far more than that. 1/4 of the current Diocesan seminarians are CCHS graduates. That is a fact that you will never hear.

Lastly, being a smaller school in a larger area does make it a bit easier in situations like this. Tiffin and Chardon are community schools with only so many potential kids to get to go there. Central does have a bigger pool because Toledo is bigger. But, then again, there are more choices here too.

All in all, Central has done great things for so many kids. It is experiencing great success in football currently. If Dempsey ever leaves, I am not sure it would continue. Look at Notre Dame Academy for girls basketball. Their run has ended. They will not be what they were a few years ago. It comes and goes.

View attachment 50456

View attachment 50457View attachment 50458
No doubt they have a great coach and a great program. The issue most people have is that when 2 teams are in the same division, their ceiling should be relatively equal. It is up to the school, administration, coaches, players and community to reach that ceiling. Some get there and some never get close. TCC’s ceiling (which I believe they are near- credit to their program), is much higher than a rural public school in the same division. I don’t know how to fix it, but it’s clearly a problem. TCC would compete to win D1.

What they should have said was they are 3 points worse then St Eds cause that is all they lost to St Eds by on the road last year when St Eds won D1 Championship.

Banging on some kid for a comment like that is petty (if you even really had this conversation). Watterson has an incredible coaching staff led by Brian Kennedy and 5 former buckeyes. They will have these boys in the right mindset and ready to go! The rest is in god's hands as they say.....
Who are the 5 Buckeyes? I know Bellisari and Uhlenhake are two.

No doubt they have a great coach and a great program. The issue most people have is that when 2 teams are in the same division, their ceiling should be relatively equal. It is up to the school, administration, coaches, players and community to reach that ceiling. Some get there and some never get close. TCC’s ceiling (which I believe they are near- credit to their program), is much higher than a rural public school in the same division. I don’t know how to fix it, but it’s clearly a problem. TCC would compete to win D1.
I agree. There have been other conversations on other threads. Some ideas are allowing schools to pick their division (to move up) or allow them to move down (via relegation). Or have an Open Division where schools of any size can compete. Dempsey's goal is to win a D1 title. There is only a small chance Central can get to D1 via CB.

In Columbus, kids used to have to go to whichever Catholic high school was in their area. I am not sure if that is still the case or not.
It is still that way, except for St Chucks. Since the 70s, Columbus Catholics have migrated to the northern part of the county and beyond. The schools haven't. They may eventually. A new one is planned for Sunbury. Wehrle ran out of customers in the early 90s. Ready will eventually do likewise. Hartley might be OK but is likely to continue shrinking.

It is still that way, except for St Chucks. Since the 70s, Columbus Catholics have migrated to the northern part of the county and beyond. The schools haven't. They may eventually. A new one is planned for Sunbury. Wehrle ran out of customers in the early 90s. Ready will eventually do likewise. Hartley might be OK but is likely to continue shrinking.
Thats the main issue for Toledo Central Catholic. There used to be probably 10+ Catholic elementary schools within 2-3 miles. Now there is maybe 1 or 2. So what were they to do? Move to the suburbs or stay where they were at and serve the people who lived close?

Central might still get the same percentage of suburban kids as before. It was never a lot. The kids from the plethora of Catholic schools have been largely replaced.

View attachment 50456

Well said. Some people see these inner city Catholic schools as football and basketball magnet schools they have no idea what goes on behind the scenes Monday thru Friday.

Radio Interview Tuesday this week:
1:02 Brian Kennedy, Watterson
Greg Dempsey of TCC should immediately precede or follow

ESPN 990 Massillon/Canton
and streaming on ESPN990.com

All in all, Central has done great things for so many kids. It is experiencing great success in football currently. If Dempsey ever leaves, I am not sure it would continue.
absolutely. I was a tps student before i went to central. Much, much more positive, better atmosphere for students on cherry st in my experience

Coach Dempseys obvious successor is already on staff. He is beloved by the players and would definitely keep the program on top, but ..you never know what the future holds

don't we all pay taxes?
Sure, just allow public schools the ability to deny the less desirables and only accept the kids that run fast and jump high.

If a private school wants to stay afloat using public dollars they can abide by the same rules a public school must.

View attachment 50456

I respect you buddy, I really do. I believe we came up in the same Catholic world in Toledo in the 80's, which does not exist today. However, Central has 225 boys grades 10-12 and 100 play football. There are another 20 that play basketball and about another 25 play baseball. That leaves roughly 80 boys left in the "other" category. Those demographics are an extreme outlier compared to ANY public school in the state. When you add in the fact that Central football and basketball teams have15-20 DI & DII college prospects on a yearly basis it becomes even more of an extreme outlier. In other words, it does not happen except only through a concerted effort. When it is pointed out that the band has 8 members one can see who gets accepted with a voucher. They are not looking for any tuba players. Tuba players do not put butts in seats.

So when smurf dunks on the fact that Central has so many awesome athletes I cringe. It is not organic in the least and to act as though it is would be a prideful sin.

Last edited:
Dempsey would be a very average coach at most public high schools.

Central and the rest of the Catholic schools continue to struggle even with vouchers. Dempsey is in his early 50's and when the goods run out he will shut off the lights and leave. He got his, little left for Brownie.

absolutely. I was a tps student before i went to central. Much, much more positive, better atmosphere for students on cherry st in my experience

Coach Dempseys obvious successor is already on staff. He is beloved by the players and would definitely keep the program on top, but ..you never know what the future holds
And look at that wonderful education you received. ^

Conversation was real, and I'm not banging on some kid... just wanted to share what I heard from a player on the team. I would like to see Watterson win as one of my sons close friends graduated from there. I believe TCC will win but really just hoping for a good game and rooting for Watterson.

I don't know much about either team but I spoke with a starter on Watterson and they said that TCC is the St. Edwards of DIII... sounds like to me that Watterson might be a little intimidated by them. Frankly if you're in the state final you have to be believe you can win, that kind of mindset is horrible for a team. I got TCC 35-10
I've heard Watterson is afraid as well. Don't really know much but one of my sons friend's graduated from Watterson and he said they got no chance. Im not going to predict a score since i know nothing of both teams.

Who are the 5 Buckeyes? I know Bellisari and Uhlenhake are two.
Those 2, Brady Taylor (Oline), Lenny mills (WR), and kind of Jerry Rudzinski (LB) (he still is on sidelines and talks to players and coaches every week although not officially a coach this season (was past few years)

I respect you buddy, I really do. I believe we came up in the same Catholic world in Toledo in the 80's, which does not exist today. However, Central has 225 boys grades 10-12 and 100 play football. There are another 20 that play basketball and about another 25 play baseball. That leaves roughly 80 boys left in the "other" category. Those demographics are an extreme outlier compared to ANY public school in the state. When you add in the fact that Central football and basketball teams have15-20 DI & DII college prospects on a yearly basis it becomes even more of an extreme outlier. In other words, it does not happen except only through a concerted effort. When it is pointed out that the band has 8 members one can see who gets accepted with a voucher. They are not looking for any tuba players. Tuba players do not put butts in seats.

So when smurf dunks on the fact that Central has so many awesome athletes I cringe. It is not organic in the least and to act as though it is would be a prideful sin.
Like 5 years ago Marion Local Had 105 boys in school. 97 were on the football team.
So your outlier is definitely flawed.😎😎😎

Like 5 years ago Marion Local Had 105 boys in school. 97 were on the football team.
How many in the band? ;) A couple years ago 75 and that includes freshman. Impressive nonetheless and the MAC recipe has been shared on this forum several times over. However, they do not have 15-20 DI/DII (scholarship) kids in the program every year and are not a so-called private institution propped up by taxpayer scholarships for who they WANT in the school.

I get what you are saying but remember schools like marion local and all of the MAC schools doesn’t have soccer. those kids were born and raised on football. i couldn’t imagine if we Didn’t have soccer. We would have at least 20 more kids playing and there would be some athletes that would definitely help.

I get what you are saying but remember schools like marion local and all of the MAC schools doesn’t have soccer. those kids were born and raised on football. i couldn’t imagine if we Didn’t have soccer. We would have at least 20 more kids playing and there would be some athletes that would definitely help.
True with the no soccer thing, kinda. There us no youth football in CW or MSML and it is very rare in the MAC. I think St John's has it in Delphos and that's about it. Last I heard parkway had it but what looking to get rid of it. Ft recovery won a title a numbet of yrs after getting rid of it

So it's not like those kids are in any sort of organized football growing up...it starts in 7th grade. While many kids are getting burned out playing baseball and basketball as kids..they are chomping at the bit to play football in junior high.

Many of the kids however play soccer as kids in the rec programs.