Votes: 16 16.8%
  • Avon by 1-8

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Avon by 9-16

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Avon by 17+

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
Guess you didn't watch the 2015-2018 title games. Long TD passes, strong running game and great defenses. 2017 game freshman QB threw for 4 TD's in first half alone. Blocked punts for TD, fake Punts. The past few years they have relied on the run primarily and you see what happened. Those first 4 teams were not genetic freaks, they were complete teams with mixture of talented players who bought in and set the standard. I would argue that the more recent teams have more raw talent but not the team mentality of the earlier championship squads
Saying those early teams weren't genetic freaks is not true.

At one point both the QB and RB were going to Ohio State. You had a Michigan OL. You had a safety who is dominating the MAC. There were also many other D1 players there. Those teams were loaded. Don't kid yourself.

At one point both the QB and RB were going to Ohio State. You had a Michigan OL. You had a safety who is dominating the MAC. There were also many other D1 players there. Those teams were loaded. Don't kid yourself.
Nothing compared to 11 defensive players with D1 offers they have now? Back then you had 3-4 FBS and a bunch of FCS and D-2 and D-3 kids. Yes they were loaded, but not genetic freaks. Traynum and Rumler were Generic freaks, the rest were just very good athletes. There is a difference. They have back ups getting D-1 offers now, that didn't happen then. Those early teams paved the way for what is happening now.

Nothing compared to 11 defensive players with D1 offers they have now? Back then you had 3-4 FBS and a bunch of FCS and D-2 and D-3 kids. Yes they were loaded, but not genetic freaks. Traynum and Rumler were Generic freaks, the rest were just very good athletes. There is a difference. They have back ups getting D-1 offers now, that didn't happen then. Those early teams paved the way for what is happening now.
My point is only you were downplaying those teams acting as if they weren't talented. And any kid who goes D1, especially a Power 5 program in HS is a genetic freak at that level.

The Hoban machine is rolling even more so now but having 2 kids in the backfield committed to one of the top programs in the country along with Rumler on OL means they had genetic freaks back then too.

Nothing compared to 11 defensive players with D1 offers they have now? Back then you had 3-4 FBS and a bunch of FCS and D-2 and D-3 kids. Yes they were loaded, but not genetic freaks. Traynum and Rumler were Generic freaks, the rest were just very good athletes. There is a difference. They have back ups getting D-1
My point is only you were downplaying those teams acting as if they weren't talented. And any kid who goes D1, especially a Power 5 program in HS is a genetic freak at that level.

The Hoban machine is rolling even more so now but having 2 kids in the backfield committed to one of the top programs in the country along with Rumler on OL means they had genetic freaks back then too.
why would I downplay those teams? They were better teams in my opinion than the most recent versions. There is no comparison to the raw talent that Hoban enjoys now to what they had then. Alot of those kids in the early teams were CYO and local public kids. Today they have a 6'8 350 lb OL as a sophomore? Rumler was 6'2-3, hardly a freak. Big yea, but average size for a D1 lineman. Sibley barely played at Pitt and transferred to FCS and played some then. DC never played at all at the D1 level. Yea better than most teams but not genetic freaks.

There are a number of top notch solid public programs I root for- Kirtland, Avon, Aurora..., places that have built a sustainable system from the youth program up resulting in consistent winners year after year.

These teams have met in the playoffs four times in recent years with Hoban winning each time: 2021- 31-24; 2020- 28-14; 2018- 42-7; and 2017- 30-6. I don't see a different result this year. I don't think it's a rout but suspect it will be similar to the last two games, something like 28-14.
AVON ALLLL the waaaay.

One QB who didn't even make the all-county team can overcome 11 D1 defenders?
Did YOU say that, or is that the OHIO mindset?:LOL: Two days ago, Ju Ju Lewis, the conscientious #1 QB in the ENTIRE country in 2026, saw his top twenty five nationally ranked Carrollton team, BLOWN OUT by a Walton Raider team who has MAYBE three DI players on their D! That SAME night, the #1 or #2 QB in the ENTIRE country in 2024, (Dylan Raiola) was beaten by the two loss Grayson Rams, in round THREE of the five round 7A GHSA playoffs. And HIS team (Buford) is arguably the most talented team on the EASTERN SEABOARD. Grayson TOO, has few major DI signees on D. But I forgot, Ohio DOES have the greatest talent in the UNIVERSE!:rolleyes:

Did YOU say that, or is that the OHIO mindset?:LOL: Two days ago, Ju Ju Lewis, the conscientious #1 QB in the ENTIRE country in 2026, saw his top twenty five nationally ranked Carrollton team, BLOWN OUT by a Walton Raider team who has MAYBE three DI players on their D! That SAME night, the #1 or #2 QB in the ENTIRE country in 2024, (Dylan Raiola) was beaten by the two loss Grayson Rams, in round THREE of the five round 7A GHSA playoffs. And HIS team (Buford) is arguably the most talented team on the EASTERN SEABOARD. Grayson TOO, has few major DI signees on D. But I forgot, Ohio DOES have the greatest talent in the UNIVERSE!:rolleyes:
I thought you said you were leaving this site a few months ago?

Nothing mental about it. The amount of talent Hoban puts on the field every year is overwhelming to all but a small handful of teams in Ohio. Avon is one of the few that actually have a chance most years. With the starting QB, they get the win, but that’s not the case this time. Highland isn’t ready for what Hoban brings.
Is THAT the same affliction Ryan Day has, when he sees a watermelon helmet?

I thought you said you were leaving this site a few months ago?
TRUE, until I had something further to report. I just couldn't resist responding to this BS about Ohio having the greatest collection of teams AND talent, in the ENTIRE COUNTRY. Just so you know, there are 20-30 teams in Georgia better than Massillon! Valdosta, if you haven't heard, was BLOWN OUT in round TWO of five, by a Carrollton team, who was in turn, BLOWN OUT by Walton last Friday night in round three. Valdosta was down 38-7 in the third quarter, when Carrollton cleared their bench, eventually winning 44-28. And there are STILL TWO rounds to go to the 7A State Championship in Mercedes Benz Stadium.

As an aside, how many people in Ohio would need to go into therapy, when TTUN is the ONLY representative from the Big Ten/SEC to make the four team playoffs this season? Because when the luckiest coach of all time beats UGA next Saturday. OSU isn't even in the Big Ten Championship game. And Alabumble is pushed out because of their loss to Tejas. TTUN is IT, against former Colquitt Co. FG kicker Ryan Fitzgerald and his FSU Seminoles, the winner of Oregon-Washington, and Texas. WHY couldn't that twelve team playoff come in 2023?

One QB who didn't even make the all-county team can overcome 11 D1 defenders?
You guys talk of him as the second coming and now he is not even all county. Massillon has every bit of talent as Hoban, maybe more and you want to make a joke of it. Hoban is the underdog this year and everyone knows it. After all, you beat St Ed's and Hoban did not correct?

TRUE, until I had something further to report. I just couldn't resist responding to this BS about Ohio having the greatest collection of teams AND talent, in the ENTIRE COUNTRY. Just so you know, there are 20-30 teams in Georgia better than Massillon! Valdosta, if you haven't heard, was BLOWN OUT in round TWO of five, by a Carrollton team, who was in turn, BLOWN OUT by Walton last Friday night in round three. Valdosta was down 38-7 in the third quarter, when Carrollton cleared their bench, eventually winning 44-28. And there are STILL TWO rounds to go to the 7A State Championship in Mercedes Benz Stadium.

As an aside, how many people in Ohio would need to go into therapy, when TTUN is the ONLY representative from the Big Ten/SEC to make the four team playoffs this season? Because when the luckiest coach of all time beats UGA next Saturday. OSU isn't even in the Big Ten Championship game. And Alabumble is pushed out because of their loss to Tejas. TTUN is IT, against former Colquitt Co. FG kicker Ryan Fitzgerald and his FSU Seminoles, the winner of Oregon-Washington, and Texas. WHY couldn't that twelve team playoff come in 2023?
No one really cares

How'd dem dare Colquitt County Packers do dis year? Dem dare boys is a heckofa ball squad. I think dem boys ud beat the Yeller Jackets a Georgia Tech.

I know our friend cjb will hate this, but as I said, mental
I think the biggest difference between this Hoban team and the 1st 3 state championship teams and I don't know the reason for this but those teams were much better disciplined and rarely turned the ball over and didn't commit many penalties. The last 5 years like I said I heard one of the tv/ radio announcers say Hoban led the state in penalties.That I believe may be Hobans downfall against Massillon. Their coach even said Saturday we will have to eliminate the penalties and turn overs and play are best game of the year to beat a great Massillon team. I personally think this is going to be a great game right down to the wire. I think both teams are too good to get blown out unless one team has a bunch of turnovers.

I know our friend cjb will hate this, but as I said, mental
I don’t hate it. I just don’t agree with it. Had Avon played with the starting QB they win the game by a couple scores. If you recall in the D2/R6 thread I predicted Avon would win the state championship. They had everything in place…until they didn’t. The run/pass and size/speed effect of Nolan Good at QB dramatically changes what a defense can do and totally opens up Avon’s offense. The soph QB did his best, but just doesn’t have the same skill set to scare a defense and to really allow the diversity of the offense to shine. Not his fault. He hung tough. He’s just not an experienced all state player like Good.

I don’t hate it. I just don’t agree with it. Had Avon played with the starting QB they win the game by a couple scores. If you recall in the D2/R6 thread I predicted Avon would win the state championship. They had everything in place…until they didn’t. The run/pass and size/speed effect of Nolan Good at QB dramatically changes what a defense can do and totally opens up Avon’s offense. The soph QB did his best, but just doesn’t have the same skill set to scare a defense and to really allow the diversity of the offense to shine. Not his fault. He hung tough. He’s just not an experienced all state player like Good.
If you watched Avon this year, he was the one player who's skill set you could not replace. He's a D1 prospect for a reason. Avon will be back next year. They bring back a ton of talent especially in front 7 on D, WR and QB. Also a D1 CB and a lot of depth in the backfield. This season was suppose to be a down year and it was maybe the best Avon team ever when fully healthy. One day soon they will get over the hump. It does take some luck though and unfortunately it struck Avon at the wrong time as through the playoffs injuries hit key players.

If that quarterback plays what you say may have been true. The only thing is it is all hypothetical. You can't know for sure they would have won if he would have played. Would it have increased their chances absolutely. I have said similar things when my teams lost a key player before a big game and everybody always said to me its all hypothetical. You don't know for sure if the outcome would have been different. It's like cavs fans always say the 1st time they played Golden State for the championship If Kevin Love and Kyree Erving play they definitely would have beat Golden State.How do you they would have?