Did you ever work for minimum wage?

Didn't you recieve significant compensation in the form of tips? My brother worked a job like that in a neighboring small town and he had a base pay of something like $1 /hr in 1980, but commonly pulled in well over $2 /hr in tips.
No...but got a lot of "awe...he's so cute" and "your son is so nice" said to my mom. That was payment enough. I really enjoyed that job..helping the older people.

Summer of 97 and 98 working for the book crew at my high school. 20 hours a week to clean textbooks from the previous school year, inventory them and then transport them to the proper classrooms in time for the new school year.

Doing custodial work my sophomore year at the University of Toledo and then doing night security at UT my junior and senior years.

Summer after freshman year in college (1976). Pumped gas at a Shell station in my home town, mostly 3rd shift. Actually, made six cents above the minimum of the time, $2.36.

Pushed carts and cashierd awhile in college, minimum wage was $7.40. Worked there for four years getting paid $7.25, never got a raise, but it was a job and I needed one. I've asked around some to see what the job pays now and its around $10.

Every job I held in high school and college paid minimum wage. I think my first few years working it was like $3.25 or $3.35 and then went up to $3.80 when I was in college.

My first “real” job paid $11/hr and I thought I was rich. I got my first paycheck and blew it on a new suit and expensive sun glasses. 😎

Summers in HS and while in college I worked from 4.00-5.25 an hour framing houses. Thought I was rich. Graduated in 83.

The current young generation will have the most people who've never worked for minimum wage. In fact, as an unskilled laborer, TODAY is the best time to work, ever. Jobs are plentiful, pay is higher than it's ever been. Why does this not get reported?

The current young generation will have the most people who've never worked for minimum wage. In fact, as an unskilled laborer, TODAY is the best time to work, ever. Jobs are plentiful, pay is higher than it's ever been. Why does this not get reported?
Pay needs to be discussed in comparison to where someone lives. Example:

In my hometown of Lima, Ohio. There are some unskilled jobs that are paying around $20 / hour and up. The cost of living in that neck of the woods is pretty reasonable IMO. Lot of homes in Lima that are decent, going for $125k.

In Greenville, SC where I've lived now for 18 plus years you can't buy a home, newer or older, for under $250k and the wages for unskilled labor are about the same as in NW Ohio. Most rents in Greenville are also going to run over $1k / month.

Pay needs to be discussed in comparison to where someone lives. Example:

In my hometown of Lima, Ohio. There are some unskilled jobs that are paying around $20 / hour and up. The cost of living in that neck of the woods is pretty reasonable IMO. Lot of homes in Lima that are decent, going for $125k.

In Greenville, SC where I've lived now for 18 plus years you can't buy a home, newer or older, for under $250k and the wages for unskilled labor are about the same as in NW Ohio. Most rents in Greenville are also going to run over $1k / month.
But isn't that kind of a chicken/ egg deal? Doesn't the cost of living kind of go along with the typical pay in the area? My guess is alot of people go or want to live in Greenville SC because of the climate, closer to ocean? I'd say if you can't afford a house where you live, move to a place you can afford, seems pretty simple to me.

But isn't that kind of a chicken/ egg deal? Doesn't the cost of living kind of go along with the typical pay in the area? My guess is alot of people go or want to live in Greenville SC because of the climate, closer to ocean? I'd say if you can't afford a house where you live, move to a place you can afford, seems pretty simple to me.
I believe you.

But it isn't simple.

Places like Greenville have become more expensive because of move-ins. Those people you are telling to "move out" were there first. Owned their own homes and properties. Your simple view is not really asking them to move out. It is allowing them to be forced out, even leaving them without a competitive bargain for price because if they can not afford the raised property taxes, they sell at whatever low ball price offered or they get tossed out.

It's not simple, when human compassion and unrestricted free market are involved in real estate.

I believe you.

But it isn't simple.

Places like Greenville have become more expensive because of move-ins. Those people you are telling to "move out" were there first. Owned their own homes and properties. Your simple view is not really asking them to move out. It is allowing them to be forced out, even leaving them without a competitive bargain for price because if they can not afford the raised property taxes, they sell at whatever low ball price offered or they get tossed out.

It's not simple, when human compassion and unrestricted free market are involved in real estate.
But they have also enjoyed the increase in the values of their property because people WANT to be there. My guess is their tax base is better, their roads/ water has got better.

100% agree, it's not simple.

My point was more going towards the idea that increase in pay is all relative to where one lives. It's "easier" to afford to live in NW Ohio than it is in the Upstate of South Carolina. The pay is relatively the same in each region but the COL is just a little far apart from one another is all.

One would hope so but the rate of pay for unskilled labor in the upstate has not kept up with the COL increases. In Ohio you can get a job with Honda making $21 / hour to start where housing is cheap. In the Upstate the starting wage at BMW is still just a tick over $19 / hour where housing is VERY expensive. In the Upstate, unlike Ohio you have a lot more transplants coming in from the Midwest and new England who are forcing the cost of housing up essentially outpricing the local / home grown pool of unskilled labor. So if you're 18 and a high school graduate you can make 19 an hour working swing shifts at BMW but you're still living at home for the next several years hoping for a housing crash.

In South, unlike in the North, in my experience southern youngsters are not as willing to relocate and leave family behind. When I graduated from Toledo in 2003 and there were no teaching jobs I HAD to look elsewhere. Lots of northern grads did. Not sure if it's a cultural thing but southern grads don't like to leave their home.

But they have also enjoyed the increase in the values of their property because people WANT to be there. My guess is their tax base is better, their roads/ water has got better.

100% agree, it's not simple.

If your barca lounger was suddenly worth 30% more, would you enjoy it more because of that? No. Did they ask for better roads? No. The only one benefiting "better" infrastructure are those going to use that infrastrucutre to make more money.

It's real estate people using other people's money to make money.