Delphos St. John’s To Consider Move To Northwest Conference

My remarks were an oversimplification of the matter. The only part of your diatribe that addressed what I was actually arguing was when you stated that "Better to be overprepared and underwhelmed than the other way around." Again, I can buy that to a degree, but making moves days out is not being overprepared, it is being paranoid. Making the call at 10am the day of is being more than prepaid enough. We are not talking about a hurricane where you need to evacuate. We not even talking about trips that include charter buses for 99% of the teams involved let alone flights and accommodations at hotels. We are talking about 2 hour school bus trips.
Fair enough. Lost in translation moment.

Thing is, the moves being made are mostly pushing the start times back an hour. No one is calling for hurricane level adjustments. Games used to start at 7:30 all the time. Everyone has lights. The hassle involved for everyone is minimal. They make the call a few days in advance for the word to spread to local papers and the less informed fans. That's more practical to get accomplished than the day of the game. I'm no player, but if Shelby were faced with the situation that a lot of schools in Southwest Ohio are facing, I (the fan) wouldn't care. I'd prefer not taking a mini timeout a few times a quarter to watch a kid cramp up.

I
Fair enough. Lost in translation moment.

Thing is, the moves being made are mostly pushing the start times back an hour. No one is calling for hurricane level adjustments. Games used to start at 7:30 all the time. Everyone has lights. The hassle involved for everyone is minimal. They make the call a few days in advance for the word to spread to local papers and the less informed fans. That's more practical to get accomplished than the day of the game. I'm no player, but if Shelby were faced with the situation that a lot of schools in Southwest Ohio are facing, I (the fan) wouldn't care. I'd prefer not taking a mini timeout a few times a quarter to watch a kid cramp up.
I can live with this too. I thought I read of some games moving to Saturday. I just think that is overkill, and more information is better to make the call. We all want the same thing, the kids to play as safe as possible.

Sorry everyone for derailing the topic of Delphos St. John’s possible conference move.

bahahaha, I remember those salt tablet dispensers at the door of the locker room and everybody twisting the dispensing valve to get 1 or 2 tablets. Man, how times have changed.
Salt is still a good thing for hydration though you know that right? They provide key electrolytes for the rehydration of the body.

Salt is still a good thing for hydration though you know that right? They provide key electrolytes for the rehydration of the body.
Trust me, with all my health issues the last few years. I know the benefits of sodium and also the bad sodium can do. Take those tablets without water and see what happens

I had the same thought. The domino effect of this move, if they leave the MAC will be interesting. IF Loramie goes to the MAC, what do the rest of the SCAL schools do?
Want a totally uniformed guess?

Loramie goes to the MAC in all sports. Anna is asked if they also want to join for all sports and they accept. Feeler goes out from the Shelby County League to New Knoxville, who should accept but probably will not.

Trust me, with all my health issues the last few years. I know the benefits of sodium and also the bad sodium can do. Take those tablets without water and see what happens
I’m not saying you don’t need water, I’m just stating that salt is needed for good hydration.

If , and it is likely a big if, Ft Loramie and Anna both go all sports to MAC , that could have a rather large ripple effect with other conferences.

If , and it is likely a big if, Ft Loramie and Anna both go all sports to MAC , that could have a rather large ripple effect with other conferences.
Not really. Football drives conference alignments and Anna is already in the MAC for football and Ft. Loramie wouldn't be leaving a league with a member to replace. Even if they leave the SCAL, like someone said above, New Knoxville to the SCAL makes sense. Even if that doesn't happen, you could have 5 SCAL schools play each other twice in basketball, baseball, and volleyball to get to a standard conference slate in those sports. Which other leagues do you think it would it affect?

I may be in the minority here, but if DSJ leaves, what's the harm in inviting Loramie, Anna, and Russia in all sports?
Russia balances out NK as a non-football school. And, if you look up and down their schedules for volleyball, golf, basketball, baseball, softball, and track, all three of the schools are playing most of the MAC schools already. There's a subjective argument to be made that all of these schools are a "culture" fit as well with a history of success.
Obviously, it would put a lot of stress on the remainder of the SCAL, but wouldn't it be better than drubbing Houston and Fairlawn twice a year?

I may be in the minority here, but if DSJ leaves, what's the harm in inviting Loramie, Anna, and Russia in all sports?
Russia balances out NK as a non-football school. And, if you look up and down their schedules for volleyball, golf, basketball, baseball, softball, and track, all three of the schools are playing most of the MAC schools already. There's a subjective argument to be made that all of these schools are a "culture" fit as well with a history of success.
Obviously, it would put a lot of stress on the remainder of the SCAL, but wouldn't it be better than drubbing Houston and Fairlawn twice a year?
Certainly the addition of Russia would benefit MAC baseball

What's the benefit of adding Russia? And what makes Russia different from Botkins or Jackson Center?

Not really. Football drives conference alignments and Anna is already in the MAC for football and Ft. Loramie wouldn't be leaving a league with a member to replace. Even if they leave the SCAL, like someone said above, New Knoxville to the SCAL makes sense. Even if that doesn't happen, you could have 5 SCAL schools play each other twice in basketball, baseball, and volleyball to get to a standard conference slate in those sports. Which other leagues do you think it would it affect?
Let me say this is just me talking, zero inside information here. Based on old conversations going back 8-10 years, there was some interest between Lehman, Troy Christian, Riverside etc. about pulling most of the SCAL into a conference with them if Loramie and Anna departed for the MAC. Botkins, Russia and Jackson Center were definatly not interested at that time as none had football, and the two private schools bothered them from an unknown competitive side. Much has changed since then, especially in the way kids move around from school to school. A package of Covington, Troy Christian, Riverside, Lehman, Houston and Fairlawn makes a good group of small schools, but I agree with you, football would be the ultimate issue with such a group as only four have football.

So it may not ripple as much as I think.

DSJ sent out some dumb Google doc with questions asking about the move. Seems that absolutely none of the alumni or parents want this move to happen. But my guess is that it will happen anyway

DSJ sent out some dumb Google doc with questions asking about the move. Seems that absolutely none of the alumni or parents want this move to happen. But my guess is that it will happen anyway
seems like some people sort of the community need to swallow some pride and support doing what’s best for the kids. times change and what was best for DSJ 15 years ago isnt best for them today.

I think it's smart of them to gauge the interest of the community if they're truly valuing their opinion. I can tell you this doesn't happen at other schools. Also, from experience I can tell you that the people that want to stay always have the loudest voice in the room & the ones that want to get out are afraid to speak out about it, because you become chastised at every turn. What I'm saying is, if you talk to folks who think like you do, they're going to express their opinion about staying because they know that's how you feel. There could be a silent majority who thinks it makes a lot of sense to get out but aren't comfortable sharing that. Just throwing my two cents from the school district I'm from.

seems like some people sort of the community need to swallow some pride and support doing what’s best for the kids. times change and what was best for DSJ 15 years ago isnt best for them today.
I agree. I graduated from there over a decade ago during their time of football dominance. My class had double the amount of the classes today

I personally could not care less what happens as I do not have children enrolled and do not live in the area. But I know it has some people fired up

And what makes Russia different from Botkins or Jackson Center?
For whatever reason, we (MAC people in general) are related to or know many more people in Russia than the other communities you mention. Maybe it’s the common religion? Not sure, but it is the case.

For whatever reason, we (MAC people in general) are related to or know many more people in Russia than the other communities you mention. Maybe it’s the common religion? Not sure, but it is the case.
Depends on what part of the MAC you are from, New Knoxville would rather have Botkins in that scenario. There is already a natural rivalry between the 2 and half of New Knoxville is probably in Meyers Tavern right now!

Depends on what part of the MAC you are from, New Knoxville would rather have Botkins in that scenario. There is already a natural rivalry between the 2 and half of New Knoxville is probably in Meyers Tavern right now!
Exactly.
Fort Recovery and Parkway communities raising their eyebrows with skeptical indifference to the scenario of lopping off half the SCAL to add to the MAC.

"Absolutely none" of the Alumni... Seems to be a bit of a stretch.
so I'm confused which one of you dudes(?) are the one that has no problem with Drag queens dancing in front of school children?

Blue Jay Fan or bluejayfan ?

and by the way I talked to some delphos fans, that i have known for 30 years, most of them like the idea of switching conferences

so I'm confused which one of you dudes(?) are the one that has no problem with Drag queens dancing in front of school children?

Blue Jay Fan or bluejayfan ?

and by the way I talked to some delphos fans, that i have known for 30 years, most of them like the idea of switching conferences
I'm a little too old (just turned 60) to be called a "dude" but thank you. As far as NWC, I've heard things but will reveal later. Some interesting things.