Darvish - Texas

IMHO

I see where Texas has won the bidding rights for Yu Darvish, a Japanese pitcher Boby Valentine is saying will be in the top 5 pitchers when he arrives in MLB. Texas has posted a bid north of $50 million for the rights to negotiate with this young man. If they sign him they will have to also pay the negotiating bid. Wow! :eek: That is alot of money to have tied up in one player. Only certain teasm can compete for these type of foreign players.

Rumor all season was the Blue Jays were going to land him, not your usual suspect to land a player requiring $100+ million. My guess is they would have won the rights to him had CJ Wilson stayed in Texas. I do think he'll have a better career in the weak-hitting AL West instead of the AL East. Facing the A's, Mariners, and soon to be Astros multiple times a year will be much easier than facing the Red Sox, Yankees, or even the Rays. His numbers in Japan were better than Dice K's numbers and Dice K had success in a tougher division for a couple years before injuries hurt his career. Darvish is a similar player, low 90's heat with multiple pitches. I think he'll have a successful MLB career, but it's never a sure thing with Japanese players.