Darryn Peterson now of Huntington Prep First Ever High School NIL Athlete for Adidas

IMO, this is a better reason to leave your local HS. Leaving for better competition has always rang hollow to me. Going from the "Man" on a HS team to just a piece of a great team wasn't necessarily the best path to get better...I know others disagree and that is OK. But this could possibly be a life-changing amount of money even if they never make the NBA. Making significant money while in HS can help set up a person for a much better life.

Ohio is going to see an exodus of talent over the years if they do not adopt NIL. Many will never make it to the pros but they will still make some much-needed money.

IMO, this is a better reason to leave your local HS. Leaving for better competition has always rang hollow to me. Going from the "Man" on a HS team to just a piece of a great team wasn't necessarily the best path to get better...I know others disagree and that is OK. But this could possibly be a life-changing amount of money even if they never make the NBA. Making significant money while in HS can help set up a person for a much better life.

Ohio is going to see an exodus of talent over the years if they do not adopt NIL. Many will never make it to the pros but they will still make some much-needed money.
I'd rather see an "exodus" of talent than Ohio High School teams built and wining titles through NIL.

No thanks. Go elsewhere. I'd rather try to keep out HS athletics as close to the intent of HS football.

Being old school he should've went to whatever highschool district he lived in when the family lived in Canton. Going to school wether it would be GlenOak or McKinley and 4 years in college would not of hurt him in the long run. I watch The NBA all the time and 3 quarter of the players are horrible so he would've been just fine. Player salaries will continue to go up so that would compensate for the 3 years of him going to OSU or wherever. A four year college degree will never hurt you.

Being old school he should've went to whatever highschool district he lived in when the family lived in Canton. Going to school wether it would be GlenOak or McKinley and 4 years in college would not of hurt him in the long run. I watch The NBA all the time and 3 quarter of the players are horrible so he would've been just fine. Player salaries will continue to go up so that would compensate for the 3 years of him going to OSU or wherever. A four year college degree will never hurt you.
Being Old school is not really relevant anymore. Gotta learn to adapt to the changes and some times they are better than it used to be. Don't think any of the Ohio high school options were in his best interest. I think he actually wasted two years playing at CVCA.

Fine. I’ll get off your lawn.

NIL is not a topic for most schools. One player left because he has the opportunities to earn. 99.9999999% of families and high school athletes don't want to hear about NIL.

Being Old school is not really relevant anymore. Gotta learn to adapt to the changes and some times they are better than it used to be. Don't think any of the Ohio high school options were in his best interest. I think he actually wasted two years playing at CVCA.
What's better now then it use to be?

Reactions: y2h
It's not about old school vs new vs new school. It's about what HS sports are supposed to be about.

They are apposed to be about the kids who were born and grew up in that district sprinkled in with kid whose families moved there for various of reasons and most of the time it was for parents employment.

Now we get load up teams like Lutheran, some private schools who rape the surrounding areas and their enrollment just happens to be star athletes and kids abandoning their home towns to play somewhere through OE.

Now some want to add in NIL to further violate the sanctity of interscholasric sports.

No thanks.

If some talent wants to jump ship to another state to follow NIL then I would gladly donate to their gofundme page for moving expenses.

It's not about old school vs new vs new school. It's about what HS sports are supposed to be about.

They are apposed to be about the kids who were born and grew up in that district sprinkled in with kid whose families moved there for various of reasons and most of the time it was for parents employment.

Now we get load up teams like Lutheran, some private schools who rape the surrounding areas and their enrollment just happens to be star athletes and kids abandoning their home towns to play somewhere through OE.

Now some want to add in NIL to further violate the sanctity of interscholasric sports.

No thanks.

If some talent wants to jump ship to another state to follow NIL then I would gladly donate to their gofundme page for moving expenses.
What H.S. sports are supposed to be about died some time ago, 1st with the private schools recruiting and loading up All Star teams and now some public schools doing the same. That is going to keep happening NIL or no NIL.

No thanks.

This is exactly right in Rural America but in Metro America this is what it is now. The dynamics of high school athletics have changed except in Rural America and I see the Coldwater symbol so I definitely get it, the morals/values are different and 90% of the families have been there at least 75 years or more so kids hardly ever transfer or get exposed to anything outside that bubble. I totally understand and that's ok but you have to understand this is how some people do things outside the bubble.

This is exactly right in Rural America but in Metro America this is what it is now. The dynamics of high school athletics have changed except in Rural America and I see the Coldwater symbol so I definitely get it, the morals/values are different and 90% of the families have been there at least 75 years or more so kids hardly ever transfer or get exposed to anything outside that bubble. I totally understand and that's ok but you have to understand this is how some people do things outside the bubble.
Does not mean it is right.

Ohio should NOT adopt the NIL.
If some kids want to uproot and head elsewhere then that is fine.
We need to do whatever we can to protect HS sports

Does not mean it is right.

Ohio should NOT adopt the NIL.
If some kids want to uproot and head elsewhere then that is fine.
We need to do whatever we can to protect HS sports
May not be right but that's reality. IF Ohio ever adopts NIL it will be a long time before that happens.

4 years at McKinley and 4 years at Ohio State equals 8 years worth of wear and tear on your feet, knees, hips and back.

You failed to mention that...but yeah sure other than that yeah it wouldn't hurt an athlete in the long run one bit.

Honestly, let them go. NCAA has its hands more than full trying to make way with NIL you think the state will do it better? If they want to get paid, go play prep or Overtime. No one will fault them at all. It flies in the face on why we have HS athletics in the first place.

NIL will be a disaster at the high school level. And nobody is making life changing money at the high school level.

Last edited:
4 years at McKinley and 4 years at Ohio State equals 8 years worth of wear and tear on your feet, knees, hips and back.

You failed to mention that...but yeah sure other than that yeah it wouldn't hurt an athlete in the long run one bit.
Which every other star athlete has gone through previously. Did 8 years at the amateur level hold back Jordan?

Who's stopping them from having a job?
I would consider making an appearance in a commercial would be a job. Without NIL that would be considered a violation because you’re profiting off your name, image or likeness.

Which every other star athlete has gone through previously. Did 8 years at the amateur level hold back Jordan?
Jordan was actually only in College for 3 years but that’s semantics.

According to a 2017 study there are over 4,000 college athletes per year who suffer season-ending or career-ending injuries. An athlete is much more likely to be in this group than to be in a group with Michael Jordan.

I would consider making an appearance in a commercial would be a job. Without NIL that would be considered a violation because you’re profiting off your name, image or likeness.
The issue isn't that a kid will be paid a few buck to make a commercial it is that it will turn into what is happening at the college level where it has become pay-for-play where QB's in the portal are wanting millions of dollars from a school to play for them.

7 years. Jordan left college early lol. Why do you think he did that? I am not sure what you mean by every star athlete had to go through previously. Kobe Bryant and LeBron James didn't.

Also no player ever in baseball or hockey has ever had to play 4 years in college going back 100 years+ so not sure why you are stuck on 4 years of college basketball.

NIL will be a disaster at the high school level. And nobody is making life changing money at the high school level.
1 million dollars isn't life changing money? Shoot 100K is "life changing money" for some. Definitely half a mill depending on your lifestyle and age.

Christian Kaiser had a decent high school football career at one of the best programs (Bixby) in the state of Oklahoma. He gained more notoriety as a social media content creator than he ever would have as an athlete. He became known as the “Dancing Cowboy” and had numerous boot, belt and clothing companies willing to pay him for appearances and wearing their goods. NIL was approved in Oklahoma before his senior year. The timing of approval leads me to believe his want to play football and capitlize off his following was a deciding factor in approval. https://www.kosu.org/sports/2022-10-06/high-school-athletes-in-oklahoma-can-now-profit-off-of-of-nil

The issue isn't that a kid will be paid a few buck to make a commercial it is that it will turn into what is happening at the college level where it has become pay-for-play where QB's in the portal are wanting millions of dollars from a school to play for them.
And as much as I don’t personally like the way NIL has gone, it is better than players playing for free while the colleges make hundreds of millions of dollars. People shouldn’t be able to make dumb YouTube videos to become millionaires but sometimes Capitalism has cons.

Jordan was actually only in College for 3 years but that’s semantics.

According to a 2017 study there are over 4,000 college athletes per year who suffer season-ending or career-ending injuries. An athlete is much more likely to be in this group than to be in a group with Michael Jordan.
They are much more likely to do something other than pro athlete for a career regardless of health.