Darius Bazley having a good run in the bubble

There was probably a veteran that took Darius under his wing and explained how things can work or how they will work. I am glad that he is on the right track.

Thanks.
Read that NYPost article I posted above. Darius seems to have figured it out on his own: he knew what he needed (strength, bulk), talked to people to find out where they'd gotten it, identified the S&C coach he wanted and told his handlers to make it happen. They tried to talk him down, then they and said coach tried to scare him off with a ridiculously heavy workload, and he said "thank you may I have another."

Jeff Van Gundy had an interesting comment during the playoffs: he was working with USA Basketball when Bazley came to their camp and he said he'd "never seen a player so unprepared" and went on to explain that he didn't mean skill-wise, and definitely not talent-wise, but that he simply wasn't physically developed enough yet to compete against those bigger and more mature bodies. It occurs to me that that's about when Bazley started the process; maybe that feedback at the time was the trigger? (JVG went on to call him the "most improved player in the bubble," a comment he watered down slightly a couple weeks later by saying the same thing about Duncan Robinson.*)

I think one of the problems with youth sports in the US is that the heavy emphasis on competition from an early age means we reward the kids who win the puberty lottery. Bazley got tall early, but he didn't get big. He was getting bounced around in the lane even in the CHL; I can imagine how that played out when he got to USAB. I'm glad he didn't let himself fall through the cracks at that point.

*No disrespect to Robinson intended; that's another guy who's worked his off. But they can't both be "most."

Read that NYPost article I posted above. Darius seems to have figured it out on his own: he knew what he needed (strength, bulk), talked to people to find out where they'd gotten it, identified the S&C coach he wanted and told his handlers to make it happen. They tried to talk him down, then they and said coach tried to scare him off with a ridiculously heavy workload, and he said "thank you may I have another."

Jeff Van Gundy had an interesting comment during the playoffs: he was working with USA Basketball when Bazley came to their camp and he said he'd "never seen a player so unprepared" and went on to explain that he didn't mean skill-wise, and definitely not talent-wise, but that he simply wasn't physically developed enough yet to compete against those bigger and more mature bodies. It occurs to me that that's about when Bazley started the process; maybe that feedback at the time was the trigger? (JVG went on to call him the "most improved player in the bubble," a comment he watered down slightly a couple weeks later by saying the same thing about Duncan Robinson.*)

I think one of the problems with youth sports in the US is that the heavy emphasis on competition from an early age means we reward the kids who win the puberty lottery. Bazley got tall early, but he didn't get big. He was getting bounced around in the lane even in the CHL; I can imagine how that played out when he got to USAB. I'm glad he didn't let himself fall through the cracks at that point.

*No disrespect to Robinson intended; that's another guy who's worked his off. But they can't both be "most."

I wish him the best. I that he comes back to Princeton to visit those youngsters and provide some of that leadership.

I wish him the best. I that he comes back to Princeton to visit those youngsters and provide some of that leadership.

I hope he sticks his head in at a Finneytown game someday, too.

Here's a tweet from one of the OKC beat writers that I think most readers here are going to find more surprising than anything he's done so far on the court:

@BrandonRahbar

·
Dec 16

Mark Daigneault on Darius Bazley: “Our scout coach asked each player to break down their opponent. I was really impressed by Baze, Lu and Shai’s understanding.” The way Baze broke down his matchup with Markkanen stood out and he used him as an example to the other young players.

I hope he sticks his head in at a Finneytown game someday, too.

Here's a tweet from one of the OKC beat writers that I think most readers here are going to find more surprising than anything he's done so far on the court:

@BrandonRahbar
·
Dec 16

Mark Daigneault on Darius Bazley: “Our scout coach asked each player to break down their opponent. I was really impressed by Baze, Lu and Shai’s understanding.” The way Baze broke down his matchup with Markkanen stood out and he used him as an example to the other young players.
Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Eleven points, three rebounds, and a steal tonight.

Against Zion Williamson.

In the first two minutes of the second half.

-------

20 and 12 for the game, in a 111-110 road win. Had the best +/- on the team.

I can probably stop posting these, the regular media will pick it up from here.

I haven't been following, but I noticed in the Lakers-OKC box score last night that Bazley was in the starting lineup and had 21 point (7-21 shooting), 16 rebounds (!!!) and 3 assists. His development seems to be ongoing.

I haven't been following, but I noticed in the Lakers-OKC box score last night that Bazley was in the starting lineup and had 21 point (7-21 shooting), 16 rebounds (!!!) and 3 assists. His development seems to be ongoing.

He's the only player to have started every game of the season so far for OKC and is 2nd on the team in minutes. The Thunder appear to be very invested in his development - at least for the time being.