D2 State Semi-final: R6 Toledo Central Catholic (13-1) vs R8 Kings Mills Kings (13-1) @ Wapakoneta

Who wins?

• Toledo Central Catholic by a lot

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Toledo Central Catholic by a little

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • Kings Mills Kings by a little

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Kings Mills Kings by a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Wapak is about 60 miles north of Dayton. Cows and cornfields up in gods country. Should be a nice easy drive down 75 for TCC. Pretty central location for both teams really.

I think Toledo CC, Massillon, Hoban and even Avon are a step above other D2 competition this year. So that win over WW for Kings, is impressive for sure, but doesn’t carry the same weight as years past. Kings is a really good team. But I don’t know if they will be able to hang with Toledo CC. I’ll say Toledo CC 38-21.

I think Toledo CC, Massillon, Hoban and even Avon are a step above other D2 competition this year. So that win over WW for Kings, is impressive for sure, but doesn’t carry the same weight as years past. Kings is a really good team. But I don’t know if they will be able to hang with Toledo CC. I’ll say Toledo CC 38-21.
And what is this thought process based on?

Toledo CC might be the best team in Ohio. They are a well oiled machine. While Kings beating Winton Woods, Lebanon, Anderson narrowly. Almost even lost to Anderson. Those are good wins. But Toledo CC has been manhandling great teams and winning- look at there strength of schedule. Do you know how impressive it is to put a running clock on Whitmer and Highland? Beating Avon, Avon lake, etc. they also lost to Ed’s who is the number 1 team in Ohio by a measly 3 pts. I’ve seen both on film. Toledo CC is a different animal. They are loaded. That doesn’t diminish what kings has done. They are great and should be proud of their season. Maybe I’m wrong. This is just my opinion. I’m one of those nerds who watches films of games.

Probably as TT05 described, TCC hung with St Ed. Finding connection between Cinci D1 and D2 to make a case they are close in level wasn't easy. Winton Woods and Moellor played LaSalle to similar beat-downs. Beat downs are hard to compare, different teams backing off at different amounts.

Different weather and Kings may be playing Massillon. Avon's receivers were dropping open passes while standing still. If not that, the QB was sending out wounded ducks to open receivers. On the positive for TCC, in those instances Avon did get a pass to a covered receiver, TCC had no interference calls against them and were able to successfully defend and quickly tackle.

A team that has a quick pass arsenel will cause TCC to adjust. TCC likes to bring the house. No one stays in the flat. You let em come then drop it right over their heads. It takes a tall QB to see over or through the rushing D and it's not learned in a week. But if it's already in place, it would cause TCC to adjust, die, or try to out score. A team that likes long developing down field passes? Better have a QB that likes throwing on the run.

On offense, TCC is big, but slow. Avon didn't have any trouble getting around their left end. And they have a left handed QB. Bad combo. Their RB Edmunds is strong, low, with excellent balance. He'll bust a hand tackle through the line with ease, so doesn't need much space. But he can be caught from behind at his top speed. By a good tackler.

I'm still sold on Cinci football. It's the strongest in the state. Weather isn't going to be 22 with 20mpg winds. I'm not giving this one away to TCC or that R8 is weaker than the other regions.

Last edited:
Useful analysis, East. Should give Kings fans and others unfamiliar a better sense of the Irish.

Hoban/Massillon get to play in the Akron Zips stadium, while this one is at Wapak. One is unlike the other. At least these schools are still playing, but you'd think there are plenty of D2/D3 college stadiums between the two. Maybe that idea is simply out of the question.

Hoban/Massillon get to play in the Akron Zips stadium, while this one is at Wapak. One is unlike the other. At least these schools are still playing, but you'd think there are plenty of D2/D3 college stadiums between the two. Maybe that idea is simply out of the question.
There really aren't. West Central Ohio is pretty... empty... compared to the Akron/Canton area. The D2/D3 schools near or along I-75 are: Bluffton University, Ohio Northern University, and Wittenberg have worse stadiums than many high schools. The stadiums U. of Findlay (Findlay HS) and U. of Dayton (DPS) play at are great, but both are closer to either TCC or Kings. NE Ohio just has a lot more people and facilities. There's many great high school facilities along I-75. Piqua is already being utilized for a D1 state semi. Sidney doesn't appear to have put in a bid. Wapakoneta Harmon Field and Lima's Spartan Stadium are probably the next best options after Piqua/Sidney.

Useful analysis, East. Should give Kings fans and others unfamiliar a better sense of the Irish.

Lol, we both know my analysis isn't "useful" to "others" at least not to coaches. Maybe to fans. I'll stand in my prediction pre-season that I thought this team would have the maturity of football knowledge, particularly the secondary to make a play for the trophy. But even I was surprised the OL is all just Juniors.

King's is such an unknown. From what I'm hearing about Massillon's QB, if that match-up happens, I'll be concerned about the dumps over the middle.

I doubt the crowds will be anywhere's near what we saw at Perkins that the game would need a small college. Akron makes sense for the labrons and a Massillon crowd that travels like a Bill's Mafia. Wapakoneta will be fine for two teams traveling 100 miles on the biggest shopping day of the year.

Lol, we both know my analysis isn't "useful" to "others" at least not to coaches. Maybe to fans. I'll stand in my prediction pre-season that I thought this team would have the maturity of football knowledge, particularly the secondary to make a play for the trophy. But even I was surprised the OL is all just Juniors.

King's is such an unknown. From what I'm hearing about Massillon's QB, if that match-up happens, I'll be concerned about the dumps over the middle.

I doubt the crowds will be anywhere's near what we saw at Perkins that the game would need a small college. Akron makes sense for the labrons and a Massillon crowd that travels like a Bill's Mafia. Wapakoneta will be fine for two teams traveling 100 miles on the biggest shopping day of the year.
Yeah, as much as I love the Kings community, we didn’t really fill the Mason home side, and that’s ten minutes away…

Whoever wins this one will lose the next week. I took Kings.
Central can hang with Hoban. They scrimmage every year and its relatively even. When the two played in the D3 championship in 2015, Hoban won 33-20. But Central had their backup QB for their playoff run. Not to say they would have won, but maybe... All I am saying is that Hoban and Massillon, while great, are not invincible.

I hope TCC is looking ahead to the next round like some here are!
Can't get to the state final if you don't win the semi first... Dempsey definitely will be pounding that in everyone's head but I feel like this team is mature enough (compared to past teams) to understand how close they are that they shouldn't under think a game like this.

Regardless of who wins the other semifinal, should TCC win I think they will give either team a game. Again, gotta win the semi first...

I wasn't entirely sold on TCC until I saw the *$$ whoopin' they put on Highland. I thought they'd get by Highland but Highland was damn solid and I never imagined any team would handle them by 36 points.

I hope TCC is looking ahead to the next round like some here are!

Who do you suppose those "some" are? TCC fans? People that have anything to do with either school?

Trolls will come out. Destroying conversation is the only thing they can accomplish because it's so easy. If you're not wanting to give them a playform, take a peak at one of the previous TCC threads and you'll know who the regulars are.

I'm not sure the last time a Toledo area team played a Cinci area public. Sylvania played Anderson in the finals one year. 2009.

Wapak is a fine facility to host this game. Nice equal distance between both schools. TCC gonna put the wood to Kings, though.

That moron is nothing like you'll see stalk the Massillon posters if they win.
Speaking of, I present "the Average Massillon Thread" below:
averagemassillonthread.png

Toledo CC might be the best team in Ohio. They are a well oiled machine. While Kings beating Winton Woods, Lebanon, Anderson narrowly. Almost even lost to Anderson. Those are good wins. But Toledo CC has been manhandling great teams and winning- look at there strength of schedule. Do you know how impressive it is to put a running clock on Whitmer and Highland? Beating Avon, Avon lake, etc. they also lost to Ed’s who is the number 1 team in Ohio by a measly 3 pts. I’ve seen both on film. Toledo CC is a different animal. They are loaded. That doesn’t diminish what kings has done. They are great and should be proud of their season. Maybe I’m wrong. This is just my opinion. I’m one of those nerds who watches films of games.
What makes beating Whitmer and Highland, Avon and Avon Lake more impressive than beating Anderson, Lebanon, Winton Woods the defending State Champ. Anderson also has a state championship to their name. I've seen TCC over the years and I like their program. I am just trying to figure out how some come to these pointless conclusions. Daisy chain is never the way to go when comparing teams.

What makes beating Whitmer and Highland, Avon and Avon Lake more impressive than beating Anderson, Lebanon, Winton Woods the defending State Champ. Anderson also has a state championship to their name. I've seen TCC over the years and I like their program. I am just trying to figure out how some come to these pointless conclusions. Daisy chain is never the way to go when comparing teams.
It's not bad if there are actual links. Every system EXCEPT Harbins uses strength of schedule in some fashion and there's no real comparison of that unless there are connecting links.

In THIS case, I really couldn't find one. Not even two links removed. The history of football in Cinci vs. the recent history of TCC is about all to go on. TCC barely made it through one of their historical bug-a-boos in Avon. They'd be foolish not to have players studying not just Kings, but Cinci area competitor football they might adopt against a team like TCC.

It's not bad if there are actual links. Every system EXCEPT Harbins uses strength of schedule in some fashion and there's no real comparison of that unless there are connecting links.

In THIS case, I really couldn't find one. Not even two links removed. The history of football in Cinci vs. the recent history of TCC is about all to go on. TCC barely made it through one of their historical bug-a-boos in Avon. They'd be foolish not to have players studying not just Kings, but Cinci area competitor football they might adopt against a team like TCC.
All games play out under their own terms. So many things come into play each game. I heard so and so have the runs all week. Who was he around that had everyone running to the locker room toilet? What was the weather like? Was it a down pour or was it extremely hot. Who was the home team? Were there a lot of questionable calls?
Point is, game go like they do and no two games are ever the same.

If TCC had a more prolific passing game, I would give them a real good shot at winning the state championship this season. They can still do it, but it will be a much harder road trying to do it by pounding teams at this level.