D2 Region 7 Final : Lake Vs Massillon

Status
Not open for further replies.
your statement makes no sense being Green beat you last year.
So ya let me say that fact again, Massillon has now won 20 games in a row over Stark Co teams. So the whiney fed coaches and the half aszed “media” can continue to give the POY and COY to these undeserving people and Massillon will just continue to pound their teams.
To have a RB that will finish the season with more then 2,000 yards and more then 200 pts and will hold basically every rushing record in Massillon history and they give it to some kid on a 7-5 D4 school that’s a bunch of bull💩.
The COY is the same thing his team lost 2 games and both of those games were to the only 2 good teams on the schedule. Oh but his team had so many injuries, it’s football every team has injuries, it wouldn’t have made any difference tonight if they were 100% healthy. But keep giving them “awards”. 🙄

Impressed with Lake's D, they made Massillon earn every yard. Nobody this year really held Massillon to 0 explosive plays. Massillon was just very methodical offensively and their Oline just kept chopping wood.

Would like to see a regular season series with these two.
I agree Lake played tough and physical on defense. I honestly think the wind was a big reason Massillon didn’t try to go vertical in the air. Just a couple of times. And not very deep when they did. I think they left some points out there a couple times. Which credit Lake. But the first drive we got stopped on the one yard line and before the half I thought we should’ve tried to kick the field goal. Overall they played well but still have room to play better. Hopefully this week and the following week

Stadium holds 12,750, put all of the Lake fans with the Tigers fans on the home side and it’s completely full, look at the pics or videos of the game. Home side holds well over 5k.

We play 5 year games a year there, I think I can judge a crowd there. What was full? Lake side counting band was 75 to 80. Home side not even close, not even remotely close to 2/3 full, full sections empty minus a few people. Don't need pictures, I was there

Looks empty to me. 5 year games a year there?

1668833534695.png

I agree Lake played tough and physical on defense. I honestly think the wind was a big reason Massillon didn’t try to go vertical in the air. Just a couple of times. And not very deep when they did. I think they left some points out there a couple times. Which credit Lake. But the first drive we got stopped on the one yard line and before the half I thought we should’ve tried to kick the field goal. Overall they played well but still have room to play better. Hopefully this week and the following week
Lake’s D hung in there as best they could. Can’t be on the field for over 33 minutes. The wind was definately a factor. Even with the wind at your back it wasn’t completely at your back. Lake had no control of the line of scrimmage on offense. Tough for the big guy to get going when someone was already hanging on him before he got back to the line of scrimmage. No reason for Massillon to risk throwing in that wind, when they were eating clock the way they were. In ideal weather conditions Massillon definitely would have opened it up some, but they didn’t need to and they didn’t. That is the least Massillon threw down field in while. Hopefully next week is a little better. Congratulations to the Lake team on very good season.

NEO Sports Insiders
HOMECLEVELAND BROWNSCLEVELAND CAVALIERSCLEVELAND GUARDIANSOHIO STATEHIGH SCHOOLSPORTS BETTINGMORE
CONNECT WITH US
Search
NEO Sports Insiders
NEO Sports Insiders

HIGH SCHOOLMassillon Washington Dominates Uniontown Lake to Take D2 R7 Titleby Brandon MarvelNovember 18, 2022
MassillonPhoto by Brandon Marvel
PARMA, OH –
Friday night featured a strong Division 2 Region 7 Final from Byers Field in Parma. #1 Massillon Washington and #2 Uniontown Lake traveled a long way for their matchup in the regional final. The two teams had never faced each other in any game before Friday. The game time weather was a cold 27 degrees with 20 MPH winds. The key to the game for either team was to control the running game and the line of scrimmage early.

Defense Stands Tall
On their first drive of the game, Massillon Washington was driving. They took a lot of time off the clock as well while doing so. The Tigers went on a 17-play drive that lasted 7 minutes and 20 seconds. On a 4th down play from Lake’s 2-yard line Massillon got stuffed at the 1-yard line. Lake took over from their own 1-yard line. On the first play of their drive, Lake fumbled the snap and recovered. However, they could not get out of the end zone. The result of the play was a safety that started the scoring for Massillon. The Tigers were just getting started.

The Tiger Offense Attacks
After a first drive that ended with a turnover on downs, Massillon was looking to score on offense. They continued with their methodical offense and drove the ball down the field on their second drive. The Tigers ended their second drive with a 4-yard touchdown run from senior running back Willtrell Hartson. The game plan seemed simple. Run the ball and win the line of scrimmage. They were doing just that. Their running back duo of Willtrell Hartson and Dorian Pringle was dominant all game. At the half, Massillon led 9-0. Even though it did not show on the scoreboard, Massillon was dominating the game. They coughed up the ball twice in the 2nd quarter. One of which was just before the half at the Lake 4-yard line.

Massillon’s Defense Continued to Dominate
In the first half, the Tiger defense was incredible. They did not allow Lake to score. On 18 total plays they allowed only 3 yards of offense from the Blue Streaks. The start of the 2nd half showed much of the same from the Tiger defense. They forced a quick 3-and-out on Lake’s first 2 drives of the half. On Lake’s next drive, Massillon forced a fumble on a 4th down play. The following drive saw yet another 3-and-out from Lake. The only points Massillon allowed was an 18-yard touchdown run from senior running back Matthew Sollberger. It was not clear if Sollberger was going to play in the game after injuring his ankle in last week’s win over Westerville South. However, it was a big for Sollberger as he was able to find the end zone in the final game of his high school career.

Final
When it was all said and done, Massillon came out on top 24-6. Massillon’s senior running back Willtrell Hartson had a career game. He finished the game with 41 rushes for 181 yards and a touchdown. In the first half alone, he had 25 rushes for 127 yards. Running back Dorian Pringle also saw the end zone twice. Once on a 2-yard touchdown run and the other on a 4-yard receiving touchdown. With their win, Massillon took the Division 2 Region 7 Title and advanced to the State Semi-Final.

State Semi-Final
Next Friday, the Massillon Tigers will head to InfoCision Stadium in Akron to take on the Region 5 Champion Hoban Knights. The Knights are led by University of Buffalo commit, Lamar Sperling. Sperling led Hoban to a 41-7 victory over Hudson on Friday night. He had 36 rushes for 288 yards and 5 touchdowns in the win. This may be the hardest test that Massillon has to face all year. The winner of the game will advance to the Division 2 State Final. They will play the winner of Toledo Central Catholic and Kings Mills.

Much like in their loss to McKinley, injuries at key positions vs a superior team leads to a loss. Great season Blue Streaks. Congratulations to Massillon for moving on.
Didn't get to watch the game but congrats to my Tigers. Also congrats to Lake for a great season. Sounds like they have a heck of a program out there these days.

Massillon 16-0. Given all the challenges facing Lake, they're in a deep hole.
You really have no f'ing clue about football do you? Do you really think that Lake not having their punter was the reason that they only had 1 yard at halftime? That just shows you ignorance of the game and your hatred of Massillon.

Lake played their tails off. They were a top quality team this season. Massillon just was the better team, plain and simple.

The Massillon defense physically owned the line of scrimmage. The Lake qb had very little time when he threw. The Lake running game was non existent. Butler had 11 yards on 12 carries for goodness sake.

Not having a punter was not going to change this outcome, unless of course he was also an all American offensive lineman.

Congrats Lake on a tremendously played game and a fantastic season. Myself and all of Massillon respects you, your team and your program. Best of luck next season.
Go Tigers!!

Wasn't Lake in the first finals at PBTS (1991 vs. Fostoria), when we first started hosting all 6 games? I remember Lee Owens was the game manager, running outside with a roll of general admission tickets because it was SRO and the state hadn't prepared to route the traffic properly and starting at 11, I believe, with downtown lunch traffic, it was a mess!
Yes. I was there.

You really have no f'ing clue about football do you? Do you really think that Lake not having their punter was the reason that they only had 1 yard at halftime? That just shows you ignorance of the game and your hatred of Massillon.
But, that's not what he said.

If you go looking for trouble you'll ALWAYS find it.

Try backing off a little on the tough guy, machismo act. Yappi would be a better place for it.

Congrats to Lake on a great season. Their D was about as tuff as I expected. Had to earn every yard and my respect for their program was not diminished. Weather conditions neutralized both offenses but those are the type of challenges teams face deep in the playoffs. Ditto injuries. Just like Massillon will need to throw the ball next week to have a chance, mother nature permitting, and status of our OT and especially our DT - Sperling in Hoban's offense is the most dangerous back in Ohio imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.