D VI State Semi-Final: Marion Local (14-0) vs. Columbus Grove (12-2)

Who wins?

• Marion Local

Votes: 95 88.8%
  • Columbus Grove

Votes: 12 11.2%

• Total voters
2003 ML losses in regular season:

Coldwater 7-0
Versailles 37-0
DSJ 42-7

I think those are correct.

That Flyer team rebounded and played well in the playoffs. Played well in the state final other than not being able to stop Blaine Maag, who had an unbelievable game rushing the ball. Behind a nearly dominant o line he personally gained close to 300 yards if I recall correctly.

Grove beat ML 28-26 in that game. Grove was a little more in control than the score would suggest.

Don't know if anyone else remembers.
There was a play towards the end of the game, CG either 3rd or 4th down, one of our players had Magg low when another just leveled him from the front well short...I swear it looked like he bounced off his shoulder blades then just sprung forward like a jumping Webble, stretching out and landing on his belly for the first down by inches...maybe the most purely powerful athletic plays I've ever seen in high school football....of course in my very very biased opinion it should have been our ball when/if his shoulders blades hit??? I think we would have still had to score with like a minute left?

P
That's pretty cool, so where's the player going to college, because with an ACT score and GPA like that if you say anything other than something like Stanford, I will be disappointed 😂
he is probably going to Bucknell studying engineering with a pre-med concentration. Both parents are engineers

There was a play towards the end of the game, CG either 3rd or 4th down, one of our players had Magg low when another just leveled him from the front well short...I swear it looked like he bounced off his shoulder blades then just sprung forward like a jumping Webble, stretching out and landing on his belly for the first down by inches...maybe the most purely powerful athletic plays I've ever seen in high school football....of course in my very very biased opinion it should have been our ball when/if his shoulders blades hit??? I think we would have still had to score with like a minute left?
Yes remember it well.... I as well as most of our fans thought he hit the ground and should have been ruled down short of the first
down on that 4th down play. And as hot as Luebke was the second half i think he would have gooten us down the field....

Yes remember it well.... I as well as most of our fans thought he hit the ground and should have been ruled down short of the first
down on that 4th down play. And as hot as Luebke was the second half i think he would have gooten us down the field....
Like you guys, I also remember that play, so I had to look it up. In my memory, we all thought he was short but I seem to recall that the referee determined that his knee/elbow/something actually touched a teammate’s (or a Flyer’s) towel, which meant that by rule, he wasn’t officially down. Who knows?

Anyway, ML actually got the ball back down 28-26 with 9:49 left in the game but promptly went three and out. CG responded with an 18-play drive, the last three of which were kneel-downs inside the ML 10-yard line, to take the final 8:13 off the clock. The play we were talking about happened with 4:15 left on the clock:

C 1-10 M36 B. Brubaker rush for 3 yards to the MARION33 (B. Fleck).
C 2-7 M33 B. Maag rush for 1 yard to the MARION32 (S. Garman).
C 3-6 M32 B. Maag rush for 3 yards to the MARION29 (A. Kaether;S. Otte).
C 4-3 M29 Timeout Columbus Grove, clock 04:15.
C 4-3 M29 B. Maag rush for 4 yards to the MARION25, 1ST DOWN COLGROVE (M.
Thobe;B. Wellman).

A couple more things about this game: Blaine Maag not only rushed for a record 287 yards, but he did it on a staggering 40 carries. The Brubaker listed above rushed twice for 9 and 5 yards on the first two carries of that final drive. He finished with just 3 totes for 17 yards, meaning all three of his rushes came on that last drive. Was Maag finally getting tired? Perhaps, but he did bull his way for CG’s final first down on three runs that put the game away for good.

Last edited:
Later that day, after CG beat ML in the D-VI game (in Canton?), Versailles won the D-IV state title in Massillon with a convincing 26-0 win over Cleveland Villa Angela-St. Joseph to finish the season 15-0.

It was the Tigers' third year in the MAC. Their win gave the MAC a state football title every year since 1997 - with the exception of 2002.

In 1996, the MAC had a chance at a state title, but St. Henry lost in triple OT to Mogadore. And in 2002, ML lost to Hardin Northern in a D-VI regional semi or regional final, and I believe Coldwater, led by qb Kevin Hoyng, lost to Reading in the D-IV regional semi. Hoyng played much of that game injured if I recall correctly.

So the MAC was emerging as an elite conference in 2003 with six state titles in a seven year span. SH had three or four state titles before 1996, and Minster had won back in '89 (edit). By 2001, five MAC schools had each won at least one state title (if you count new conference member Versailles' past titles).

Versailles had won five state titles in the '90s before joining the MAC in 2001. If NB or ML can win a state title this year it'll be the 40th (edit) football crown for the conference.

In 2014 Coldwater, ML, and Minster all won a state football championship.

Last edited:
If NB or ML can win a state title this year I think it'll be the 30th football crown for the conference.

Off by 10 if either wins a title which is doubtful it would be the 40th state title in football

My bad - I should be able to do basic addition a little better. I made the change in my previous post.

Thanks Stirred - and good luck Cardinals and Flyers!

Last edited:
My bad - I should be able to do basic addition a little better. I made the change in my previous post.

Thanks Stirred - and good luck Cardinals and Flyers!

That's pretty bad math and pretty funny that 10 state football championships for one conference is a math error....Most conferences would love to get 10 someday.

That's a GOOD math problem when you run out of fingers and toes...LOL

The middle to old age nerds on here making fun of Allen East’s quarterback for talking with confidence going into the game.
Hey, I'm not a nerd!

CG ...the MAC is just a name. Take down the over rated, arrogant MAC and flyers.....then get beat by kirtland

I have seen enough of Columbus Grove over the last 20 years to know they are typically big, hard nosed, aggressive kids that won't quit. I am not putting any stock into their early loss against Allen East as they have vastly improved from earlier in the year. Their defense is legit.

I think if Columbus Grove's d can handle and control Marion Local's speed, it will be a dog fight. Especially if Darrin Meier is out again.
If Columbus Grove doesn't have the speed to stay with all of Marion's weapons, then it could get ugly as I don't think Grove's offense can get in a shootout against Marion's defense. No disrespect against Grove as I think they are a great program.

ALater that day, after CG beat ML in the D-VI game (in Canton?), Versailles won the D-IV state title in Massillon with a convincing 26-0 win over Cleveland Villa Angela-St. Joseph to finish the season 15-0.

It was the Tigers' third year in the MAC. Their win gave the MAC a state football title every year since 1997 - with the exception of 2002.

In 1996, the MAC had a chance at a state title, but St. Henry lost in triple OT to Mogadore. And in 2002, ML lost to Hardin Northern in a D-VI regional semi or regional final, and I believe Coldwater, led by qb Kevin Hoyng, lost to Reading in the D-IV regional semi. Hoyng played much of that game injured if I recall correctly.

So the MAC was emerging as an elite conference in 2003 with six state titles in a seven year span. SH had three or four state titles before 1996, but the rest of the conference hadn't contributed any. By 2003, four MAC schools had each won at least two state titles.

Versailles had won five state titles in the '90s before joining the MAC in 2001. If NB or ML can win a state title this year it'll be the 40th (edit) football crown for the conference.

Wasn't Minster a member of the MAC in 1989? I thought that was the first football state championship for a MAC team.

I’ll go to bat for a kid saying “the MAC is just a name.” Like Paul said to the people of Corinth, when I was a child… I spoke like a child.

Later that day, after CG beat ML in the D-VI game (in Canton?), Versailles won the D-IV state title in Massillon with a convincing 26-0 win over Cleveland Villa Angela-St. Joseph to finish the season 15-0.

So the MAC was emerging as an elite conference in 2003 with six state titles in a seven year span. SH had three or four state titles before 1996, but the rest of the conference hadn't contributed any. By 2003, four MAC schools had each won at least two state titles.

Another interesting fact is that there is only one MAC team that has not won at least one state title. That would be Parkway. Fort Recovery has managed to bring one home. The most curious is the decline of Delphos Saint John's.

Of course, there is also New Knoxville. They don't play football though. That's why they have Anna as a football-only member.

Another interesting fact is that there is only one MAC team that has not won at least one state title. That would be Parkway. Fort Recovery has managed to bring one home. The most curious is the decline of Delphos Saint John's.

Of course, there is also New Knoxville. They don't play football though. That's why they have Anna as a football-only member.
I think you need to do a little research before posting, New Bremen won in 2020. And it’s New Knoxville not New Richmond???? The Rangers are undefeated in football since 1939, saw it on a t-shirt so it must be true.

I have seen enough of Columbus Grove over the last 20 years to know they are typically big, hard nosed, aggressive kids that won't quit. I am not putting any stock into their early loss against Allen East as they have vastly improved from earlier in the year. Their defense is legit.

I think if Columbus Grove's d can handle and control Marion Local's speed, it will be a dog fight. Especially if Darrin Meier is out again.
If Columbus Grove doesn't have the speed to stay with all of Marion's weapons, then it could get ugly as I don't think Grove's offense can get in a shootout against Marion's defense. No disrespect against Grove as I think they are a great program.
Goodwin wouldn't keep Meier out of this game if he didn't think his backups could play to his game speed. They really want to get back to the ship.

Wasn't Minster a member of the MAC in 1989? I thought that was the first football state championship for a MAC team.
Yes - you're correct. I had forgotten about Minster's title in 1989 - and yes it was the MAC's first football crown.

And it was dumb of me to omit that in my original post - heck I attended that Minster game at the Shoe!

I guess you sometimes forget things that happened more than three decades ago.

Last edited:
I agree with this. The week 5 Allen East score ought to be discarded when making a prediction on this game. The one aspect of this game I'm confident about, as I've stated previously, a team will likely need to hold MSML to fewer than 20 points to beat them. I don't see MSML giving up 20+ points, so it's up to the CG defense to keep them involved in a low scoring contest.
I don’t see Grove scoring period

Thank you, sir.

Yes - you're correct. I had forgotten about Minster's title in 1989 - and yes it preceded SH's titles in the '90s.

And I shouldn't have forgotten Minster's championship, since I attended the game.

I saw that 89 game also. Minster defeated a local team in McDonald. I really wasn't familiar with the MAC at the time. I thought that was Minster's conference then but after seeing your post I thought maybe Minster was like Versailles and joined the MAC at some point time after winning that title.

Thank you, sir.

Another memorable play was when one of our LB's took a nasty (intentional?) blow to his jewels. He waddled off the field and was out for a few plays. I was joking with him a while back and he said one of the worse things was getting his jewels checked by the team doctor with cold hands...

Another memorable play was when one of our LB's took a nasty (intentional?) blow to his jewels. He waddled off the field and was out for a few plays. I was joking with him a while back and he said one of the worse things was getting his jewels checked by the team doctor with cold hands...

Either I missed that or it thought best not to commit it to long term memory... I took a hit like that once and could not believe that for a few seconds my voice literally sounded like I sucked helium, always thought that was some kind of myth until it happened to me.

Another memorable play was when one of our LB's took a nasty (intentional?) blow to his jewels ...
I remember that - he was hurting terribly and did not return to the game for quite a while.

But he's married now and has a family - so apparently all the critical components still function properly.